test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Soldier

The Soldier AT has been quite a pleasant surprise for me; I didn't think I'd like it, but I needed something in one of my two obligatory AT slots (Silver Account). I got it to level 40 without any real problems, and so far it's fairly easy to solo or team with.

There are a few things I dislike about it. I recently bought 3 freeform slots, and I'm wondering if I should convert my soldier to FF. The main thing I'd like is to have both Sniper Rifle and Rocket rather than having to get one or the other; the two are very useful but in different situations, and I'd prefer to have both. I guess I could drop the grenade for the rocket, I don't really get a lot of use out of that anyway.

Other things: I might get a different block. Retaliation is fine, but the extra damage it can give you isn't particularly high. Maybe Energy Shield for the superior block percentage at rank 3. I'd like to have a better heal--one that doesn't depend on a target being within 50 feet, but lack of presence may make that a 'trade mediocre heal for mediocre heal' thing (or I'll end up with a heal with a long cooldown). If I could squeeze in an active defense to counter those annoying Brickbusters, that would be good; having two of them debuff me at once is a concern, but I'd have to figure out what I'd give up for it.

Other than that, I think I like the AT the way it is. Any advice/comments?

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Yea, the Soldier AT is good- considering the normal limits of ATs. I'd only make it an FF if you really wanted to play it more w/ the expanded options of an FF. Since you now have 3 FF slots you'd also have to consider what else you'd want to make w/ them. Just up to you how committed you are to the character.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • flowcyto wrote: »
    Yea, the Soldier AT is good- considering the normal limits of ATs. I'd only make it an FF if you really wanted to play it more w/ the expanded options of an FF. Since you now have 3 FF slots you'd also have to consider what else you'd want to make w/ them. Just up to you how committed you are to the character.

The Soldier AT _was_ good, before the nerf. Now it's absolutely miserable to level with, doing such piddling damage compared to how it used to. I am currently saving up to make my Soldier a FF as well. In my opinion, the number one role of this AT is to do DPS, so it's best to go with a glass-cannon build using Justice gear and secondaries what maximize your Ego level.

Here's a thread showing what gear to buy: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1209358/r-d-on-maximizing-the-soldier-ats-damage-potential-by-qawsada
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Miserable to level with? Uh... maybe if all you do is Alerts where you pull aggro first as a lowbie or something. Solo leveling content generally isn't really that hard overall, and the Soldier has a similar foundation to what many Muni dps FFs would have (TC, Conc, Ego PSS, KI), as well as an easy & cheap AoE early on.

You can get the shield adv on SMG if survival is a big issue (and an early heal in stim pack, if needed- ofc also having healing pack devices available to buy), otherwise it still has plenty of options to suit variants of diff playstyles.

Ofc, we lost the lighter AT passive dmg DR, but it was never clear that was something the ATs should have had over FFs, and that's not specific to the Soldier anyways. Rather, it was pretty crazy that even free ATs could outdo dps FFs, due to the dmg bonus scaling difference alone. Besides, the lighter dmg DR mattered more for geared toons- not leveling ones.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »

The Soldier AT _was_ good, before the nerf. Now it's absolutely miserable to level with, doing such piddling damage compared to how it used to. I am currently saving up to make my Soldier a FF as well. In my opinion, the number one role of this AT is to do DPS, so it's best to go with a glass-cannon build using Justice gear and secondaries what maximize your Ego level.

Here's a thread showing what gear to buy: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1209358/r-d-on-maximizing-the-soldier-ats-damage-potential-by-qawsada

Unfortunately, I didn't play it before the change, so I can't compare what's there now with what was there before. I'll take your word for it that the changes were "significant". (Probably had to do with moving assault rifle to a higher tier because it was "overperforming", apparently damage characters aren't supposed to do single-target damage anymore. Among other things, of course.)

I had fun leveling with it, and I'm still having fun with it, though it is limited by the merc gear it has currently--working on an upgrade. (Read: grinding for GCR/SCR, et al.)

And I'm not going to transfer it to FF without a lot of thought. It does work as it is, and I may choose to leave things as they are.
  • Getting all that gear took months but the difference is night and day. You can absolutely obliterate minions in seconds with the Uncompromising Soldier build in the link. I just did the Mega D mission in zone 6 and took fourth in the damage rank, not bad for an AT.
    Getting all that gear took months but the difference is night and day. You can absolutely obliterate minions in seconds with the Uncompromising Soldier build in the link. I just did the Mega D mission in zone 6 and took fourth in the damage rank, not bad for an AT.

I'll keep that in mind.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    If you do end up going for a FF Munitions soldier-like FF, here's some ideas to peruse: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1211634/the-super-soldier-munitions-build

Munitions has great stuff in it that'll make those Brickbusters a piece of cake ;)​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If you do end up going for a FF Munitions soldier-like FF, here's some ideas to peruse: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1211634/the-super-soldier-munitions-build

Munitions has great stuff in it that'll make those Brickbusters a piece of cake ;)​​

Thanks, spinnytop, I'll definitely take a look!