test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New freeform slots, totally overpriced?

So I missed out the earlier news that the normal subscription to gold is gone, now you can 'forever' unlock a freeform character with a 3000zen item. But when I play at times, I normaly take a sub for a few months, play 3-4 freeform characters. With this new system, I basicly have to pay well over 100 euro to just play them again? Or even 30 just to unlock a single character?

Sure, why not at it and just buy a lifetime one? For a game that made such change, it more feels like the final cashgrab, that a 'lifetime' on Arc has to be read 'perhaps a year or 2'.

This once was a 'sort of' second home for CoH players (as DCU really isn't), but feels like you now get kicked out or pay up big time.

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Yeah it wasn't a very popular decision amongst players who had a lot of freeform characters. But it looks like removing subscriptions is something Perfect World did to all their games (to my knowledge), even their profitable ones, so it shouldn't be seen as a final cashgrab.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    I do feel like they are a bit overpriced, especially considering the fact that freeform is the thing that makes this game so special. I feel like they should just drop the price to what the sub originally was. ($15)

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Well, you can unlock 3 for 6000z. My suspicion is that the subscription system needed expensive maintenance (unlike the games, it's a financial system; you fail to update it at your peril, and GDPR struck this summer) and they decided it wasn't worth the cost.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    not saying they aren't expensive, but they almost halved the price they were previously when they dropped the sub. Used to be 5000 zen each and no multi buy savings like the 3 for 6000.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    2huj62.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    GDPR struck this summer
    This in particular could likely be the reason, and is yet another example of the GDPR being more trouble than it's worth. "God Damned Pain in the Rear" indeed. :D
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • chickiepiepuchickiepiepu Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    No, its totally overpriced & isnt justified...considering how poor content updates are in this game compared to other mmos.

For 30 euros you can buy FF14, ESO even WoW with 1 month free sub & 1 paid sub month.
    For 60 euros you can buy 2 triple-A mmos with boatloads of content and a fudgeton of players!

Sorry but $15 is even too much for 1 character slot. Should be $10 or less.

I wouldnt recommend coming back to this game unless you're willing to drop a ton of money or play non-freeform character.

I also don't see how people think 6000zen for 3 freeform slots is a good deal. Lol.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    For 30 euros you can buy FF14, ESO even WoW with 1 month free sub & 1 paid sub month.
    For 60 euros you can buy 2 triple-A mmos with boatloads of content and a fudgeton of players!

You're comparing pay-to-play games with free-to-play games. Can you play any of those games in their entirety for free? No? Not a good comparison.​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    For 15 euros, you can get WoW for a month, with one month free. And if you want to keep playing, it's going to be another 15 every single month. (Oh, and the toon you make is locked in - your dwarven ranger is a dwarven ranger, and can never learn to be a thief or warlock, much less plausibly disguise himself as a night elf.)

For 30 euros, you unlock a Freeform toon that you can play forever at no additional cost.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!