test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the value of an offensive passive

One of the things I'm doing is re-doing a lot of the tests I did back when I was here before. One of the tests I did was to determine how much an offensive passive was worth in DPS. Last time I did this I found offensive passives were worth between 12-24% dps depending on advantages (IE if they were bonus or base increases) and role. I wonder if this is still the case, as a lot of the small mechanics seem to be different, and I figured I'd let anyone who wants to help out get involved this time to broaden the sample sizes and build varieties.

So here's the experiment:

1. Run all parses with the same items until DPS stabilizes out as much as possible
2. There should be 5 parses done:
3. With form stacked, damage role, passive slotted
4. Form stacked, damage role, no passive
5. No form, damage role, no passive
6. Form stacked, hybrid role, damage passive
7. Form stacked, hybrid role, no passive

It will be interesting to see if different build styles get different results, or if there will be a similar size gap in effective health and effective healing as the gap in damage output.

Comments

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I have a number of tanks, healers, and some that just have defensive passives cuz "theme". Additionally, like many, since most of these don't have a second passive, I have a build or 2 set to ranged or melee dps but minus any passive.

Since most offensive passives don't add that much to: dps or survivability ( yeah, ok, +20%), these characters do fine in regular content and at the cosmics.

Of course, most of the tanks and healers have a second set of gear (usually just merc or basic blue quality) for when they are in DPS stance.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    warcanch wrote: »
    Since most offensive passives don't add that much to: dps or survivability ( yeah, ok, +20%), these characters do fine in regular content and at the cosmics.
    They actually add about 50% to dps, because they permit you to use a dps role. Actual difference is usually larger because people with defensive passives usually slot some con instead of things that help with damage.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    They actually add about 50% to dps, because they permit you to use a dps role.

Well no that's not technically true. You can use DPS role without a dps passive. This is relevant because, say someone has a tank character but no tanks are needed, they can hop into DPS role and deal more damage. What a dps passive contributes on its own would be important information to someone who is considering making a dual passive toon, and is deciding if they want to actually make a dual passive toon, or just a tank with dps gear who hops into dps role without a passive and use that power slot for something else.​​
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    2. There should be 5 parses done:
    3. With form stacked, damage role, passive slotted
    4. Form stacked, damage role, no passive
    5. No form, damage role, no passive
    6. Form stacked, hybrid role, damage passive
    7. Form stacked, hybrid role, no passive

You can just do 2 parses: #3 and #4. Keep the stats/specs the same, keep the attack power the same, use an energy circle, use an attack power that ticks really fast so you can squeeze as many ticks of damage into each parse as possible and reduce variance between their activation.

Use an attack power that cannot crit to leave crit chance and sev variance out of the calculation if you are measuring this for a passive that doesn't boost sev and chance.
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    warcanch wrote: »
    They actually add about 50% to dps, because they permit you to use a dps role. Actual difference is usually larger because people with defensive passives usually slot some con instead of things that help with damage.

This actually makes me hopeful. When I did the experiment before, Circa 2012, the role and passive was only worth about 24% more damage (that's where that number actually came from was the first set of tests I did way back when). Funny thing, role damage didn't actually do what it said and only gave about 1.2x damage when you swapped to it (unless you had no other buffs), and the offensive passive was only around 4% increase to damage thanks to SS damage buffs and form buffs saturating your damage buffs, causing the DR curve to kick in hard. That's why Arrowhead has Lightning reflexes, because targeting computer was bugged so much, and other offensive passives just didn't give enough damage to justify the loss of damage.

If that's not the case anymore I'm looking forward to re-testing. And you reminded me to check targeting computer. If it's fixed it should be a serious over-performer. Now I need to check to see if mini-mines is better or not.
    kamokami wrote: »

You can just do 2 parses: #3 and #4. Keep the stats/specs the same, keep the attack power the same, use an energy circle, use an attack power that ticks really fast so you can squeeze as many ticks of damage into each parse as possible and reduce variance between their activation.

Use an attack power that cannot crit to leave crit chance and sev variance out of the calculation if you are measuring this for a passive that doesn't boost sev and chance.

The reason that 2, 5, and 6 exist is to show just how much offensive passives are trashed by DR, even when accounting for role.
    If you aren't using an offensive passive that does something beyond boost damage, all you need to do is stack your form and compare tooltips. For example, on my electric build with 8 stacks, it boosted my max charge gigabolt from 6730 to 7610 (+13%)
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    The reason that 2, 5, and 6 exist is to show just how much offensive passives are trashed by DR, even when accounting for role.
    re: #2, in your list is just directions....not sure what you mean by "reason" for that to exist.
    re: #5, as far as sustained dps goes you'll be at 8 form stacks the vast majority of the time. There is no practical reason to test this.
    re: #6, role doesn't factor into DR in the bonus layer that offensive passives buff. There is no point to repeatedly testing it.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    I don't know the hard numbers of: dps passive vs no passive, in a dps role. I know I don't worry about it too much since the damage form is where the big numbers come from (if I did it correctly). Your form should be giving you +10% (very low) to 20%+ (there ya go) per stack.

All of the characters I bring to Cosmics can meet or exceed the requirements. Even at Dino, I know my tanks, when in "dps & no passive" role, can meet the DPS check.

Obviously, someone with a dps passive should be pumping out more.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    > @kamokami said:

> re: #2, in your list is just directions....not sure what you mean by "reason" for that to exist.
    > re: #5, as far as sustained dps goes you'll be at 8 form stacks the vast majority of the time. There is no practical reason to test this.
    > re: #6, role doesn't factor into DR in the bonus layer that offensive passives buff. There is no point to repeatedly testing it.

You're right i goofed saying 2. Shouldn't try to alt tab and post when running alerts.

As to the role bonus, it actually did used to dr to a point with bonuses, just not as much. Gentlemen crush wouldn't confirm my numbers, but it was easy enough to find.
    edited August 2018
    So uh... did you do the test yet? o3o

I happen to be testing DPS stuff on PTS today so if not then I'll go ahead and figure out some numbers.​​
    This will be a late night project for me, and im at work no, so not yet, but im doing it regardless of who else does, just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else wants to increase the sample size
    So I got bored an did some initial runs. Tested with same builds and made sure the crit result was the same for both.

Looks like some stuff was changed in the numbers, the role bonus was 20% even, whenever the offensive passive was slotted, which is an improvement from what I saw way back. When I tested without the passive slotted it was back to 25% bonus, so cool more consistent is nice.

Damage role with passive was 1.5x more damage than the hybrid without passive, and 1.2x more damage than hybrid with the same passive.

So a lot of differences from the last time I did this, it will be interesting to keep looking.
    Did some more testing and a couple things I can confirm:

Damage role buffs have been stabilized and don't vary anymore in the presence of other damage buffs, but are reduced to 1.2x when an offensive passive is present. The role buff is the full 1.25x damage when not using an offensive passive. Either some of the damage buff of an offensive passive is the same type as the role damage buff, or some other interaction is occurring.

Damage buffs are only being DR'd once now. I didn't notice this at first, but the global DR that made 10% effects show 9.1% and smoke grenade drop from 500% to 83% way back, isn't there anymore, so that's probably why I was seeing role plus passive damage at 1.5x hybrid damage unslotted when before I was seeing 1.24x max.

I need to check the DR curve for damage buffs now to make sure it hasn't changed, but this all looks good and has been consistent through tests, so I'm happy with it. If anyone sees anything that they can show as mistaken, I'd be happy to hear.

Arrowhead might be getting his offensive passive back
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Damage role buffs have been stabilized and don't vary anymore in the presence of other damage buffs, but are reduced to 1.2x when an offensive passive is present. The role buff is the full 1.25x damage when not using an offensive passive. Either some of the damage buff of an offensive passive is the same type as the role damage buff, or some other interaction is occurring.

Probably because you are comparing hybrid to offense role. Those don't have the same damage bonus scaling from superstats. If you compare melee to ranged damage role you'll see exactly 25%.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • So in other words... we need a much better reason for Hybrid role to exist outside of an AT that's stuck with it?
    ADD Altaholic known as @Rejolt in game. I'm a dork, but hopefully a harmless one.
    No.
    So in other words... we need a much better reason for Hybrid role to exist outside of an AT that's stuck with it?
    I would be happy tossing hybrid role. I do somewhat think that the role bonuses for ranged dps and melee dps should be toned down (maybe reduce to 10%) and offensive passives boosted to make up the difference, though.
    edited August 2018
    aiqa wrote: »

Probably because you are comparing hybrid to offense role. Those don't have the same damage bonus scaling from superstats. If you compare melee to ranged damage role you'll see exactly 25%.

Shouldn't be that, because when I used congress of selves in hybrid and damage roles I got 25%. EDIT: Just to add, I did hybrid unslotted and damage unslotted as well, and that was 25%, so if the SS damage bonus scaling was the issue it should have been 20% then too.
    So in other words... we need a much better reason for Hybrid role to exist outside of an AT that's stuck with it?

What aiqa said.

Hybrid is really strong, and it doesn't seem weaker than the last time I did this test, it just seems like the DR curves were made more generous, which is one of the two things that I wanted done to make offensive passives worth it.
    Post edited by blkjackwilliams on
    edited August 2018

For tanks, just the ability to raise your damage while maintaining the use of a defensive passive and increasing your healing makes hybrid very strong. For dps only losing 25% damage for a decent increase in self healing can also be very strong. Support trade in some healing power for more damage. Every role can benefit from hybrid in some way in a variety of endgame situations. What more do you think Hybrid needs to be considered worth using for you?​​
    edited August 2018
    Shouldn't be that, because when I used congress of selves in hybrid and damage roles I got 25%. EDIT: Just to add, I did hybrid unslotted and damage unslotted as well, and that was 25%, so if the SS damage bonus scaling was the issue it should have been 20% then too..

I tried to reproduce your results, but I get different results.

ranged damage role
    without passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 4676

with passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 6200

with passive 
    with form x8
    gigabolt damage 7610

melee damage role
    without passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 3741

with passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 4960

with passive 
    with form x8
    gigabolt damage 6088

hybrid role
    without passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 3932

with passive 
    without form
    gigabolt damage 5091

with passive 
    with form x8
    gigabolt damage 6161

compare melee damage to ranged damage role
    without passive 
    without form
    4676/3741=1.25

with passive 
    without form
    6200/4960=1.25

with passive 
    with form x8
    7610/6088=1.25

Conclusion
    With ranged attacks the ranged damage role always gets exactly 25% higher damage than melee damage role.

compare hybrid to ranged damage role
    without passive 
    without form
    4676/3932=1.189

with passive 
    without form
    6200/5091=1.218

with passive 
    with form x8
    7610/6161=1.235

Conclusion
    The higher the additional damage bonus, the closer ranged damage role gets to 25% higher damage over hybrid role.
    That makes sense. When the total damage bonus gets higher the additional damage from SS scaling from hybrid role is a smaller part. And hybrid gets a higher total damage bonus so it pushes further into DR.

passive and form in ranged damage role
    damage increase from using a passive
    6200/4676=1.326

damage increase from using a passive and form
    7610/4676=1.627

passive and form in hybrid role
    damage increase from using a passive
    5091/3932=1.295

damage increase from using a passive and form
    6161/3932=1.567

Conclusion
    Hybrid role scales a bit worse with passives and forms.
    Which again makes sense, hybrid role starts with higher damage bonus so it pushes into DR further.
    Post edited by aiqa on
    I don't trust the tooltips for as many times as I've seen them make no sense.

I just double checked, and I was getting 1.2x exact (1026 hyb and 1267 dam) when parsing hybrid vs damage using R3 offensive passive and R3 Star barrage (10% crits for both), and 1.25x with congress of selves (with the three DoTs) hybrid vs offense.

So what I'm getting from parsed DPS is different than what the tooltip is saying I should get, but it's been consistent every time.
    Tooltips are only wrong in so far that powers have variable damage. The only power that gets you exactly what the tooltip says, without any variation, is sniper rifle. I probably should have used that, but I am fairly sure it would be the same.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Hybrid is meh, and only good for CCers pulling, or OTing. For everything else, it's bad; and the role specific passives are always better.
    [NbK]XStorm
    Tooltips are only wrong in so far that powers have variable damage. The only power that gets you exactly what the tooltip says, without any variation, is sniper rifle. I probably should have used that, but I am fairly sure it would be the same.

I was able to match your results parsing with sniper rifle (1.22x hybrid to damage; 1.25x melee to ranged), but my other parses were still the same.

Either way, I'm glad offensive passives are in a position where they do what they say they should.
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Hybrid is meh, and only good for CCers pulling, or OTing. For everything else, it's bad; and the role specific passives are always better.

Hybrid is better than tankrole for soloing, and can also be used to maintank when you're certain you'll still have enough threat to hold aggro. Hybrid is meh because that's how it's designed, it's not great at any one thing but good at a bunch of them. That's why it's good.​​
    So what I'm getting from parsed DPS is different than what the tooltip is saying I should get, but it's been consistent every time.
    If you're getting consistent results from parsing, you're probably doing something wrong. Even on a quite long parse, you should have random variance of a couple percent.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    nbkxs wrote: »

Hybrid is better than tankrole for soloing,
    From what I have seen, this is generally true for tankrole and less so for supportrole, but not so true for damagerole. It depends on build, of course, but it does not seem like the additional self-healing is going to outweigh kill-speed.

Hybrid w/ def passive is great for soloing leveling content, but underperforms everything in end-game group content.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    From what I have seen, this is generally true for tankrole and less so for supportrole, but not so true for damagerole. It depends on build, of course, but it does not seem like the additional self-healing is going to outweigh kill-speed.

I mean hey, #thuglyfe, you know I be supportin' dat lifestyle of soloin' in dps role Yoyoyo just click da bottom link in da sig, nowadamsayin?
    Hybrid w/ def passive is great for soloing leveling content, but underperforms everything in end-game group content.

It underperforms in Dino and Eido. It makes those cries of "Please stop dying" die down at Kiga, and is completely irrelevant at ape.​​
    It makes those cries of "Please stop dying" die down at Kiga
    Because of the increased self-healing?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    It makes those cries of "Please stop dying" die down at Kiga
    Because of the increased self-healing?

That and because the defensive passive makes the snowstorms not kill you as fast.​​
    That and because the defensive passive makes the snowstorms not kill you as fast.​​
    The point is, offensive passive + hybrid role = terrible.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Not terrible, just not optimized
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    Not terrible, just not optimized

Exactly, I used the term "underperforming", but perhaps I should have said "suboptimal"
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    edited August 2018
    That and because the defensive passive makes the snowstorms not kill you as fast.

That was the point of this statement?
    Not sure how it could be, as this statement, the one I responded to, was about Hybrid w/ def passive.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    Exactly, I used the term "underperforming", but perhaps I should have said "suboptimal"

I am not seeing the problem with that. As long as you don't have to spend significant effort staying alive, higher damage options will always be better. And clearly damage roles will be doing to highest damage.
    edited August 2018
    I am not seeing the problem with that. As long as you don't have to spend significant effort staying alive, higher damage options will always be better. And clearly damage roles will be doing to highest damage.

He's not saying it's a problem, he's pointing it out as a reality of the combination of hybrid and offensive passive. You've basically just repeated the point he's making.

A dpser who has consistent self-healing who is having trouble staying alive at Kiga could see some benefit from swapping into Hybrid role. His dps would drop but he would be healing Kiga less, so there would be a net benefit. Certainly better to be proactive in this way than criticize the healers, which there may not be enough of. I even have a dps who has some aoe healing and can help out if other people are having trouble staying up. It would be neat if there were more endgame encounters where doing stuff like that matters, but alas we often have enough healers.​​
    A dpser who has consistent self-healing who is having trouble staying alive at Kiga could see some benefit from swapping into Hybrid role.​​
    You'll usually do better by having a second primary offense that slots a Sentinel core or two (or a secondary offense with +healing). You lose some dps (particularly if it's also a lower grade of gear), but less than you'd lose for hybrid role.
    You'll usually do better by having a second primary offense that slots a Sentinel core or two (or a secondary offense with +healing). You lose some dps (particularly if it's also a lower grade of gear), but less than you'd lose for hybrid role.

You would do best by doing both of these things together.​​
  • spinnytop wrote: »

For tanks, just the ability to raise your damage while maintaining the use of a defensive passive and increasing your healing makes hybrid very strong. For dps only losing 25% damage for a decent increase in self healing can also be very strong. Support trade in some healing power for more damage. Every role can benefit from hybrid in some way in a variety of endgame situations. What more do you think Hybrid needs to be considered worth using for you?​​

This post is weeks old so sorry for bringing it up so late:

Hybrid is great for characters that still want to use a tank or support aura when soloing but can't do so in a DPS role. I'm mainly looking for a balanced passive or toggle. The Automaton one is wonky and others that balance range vs melee damage usually have low damage numbers because their main job is something else (CC, healing, etc).

I want something to make other than a Nightwarrior or AoPM hybrid toon that has to do one type of attack for damage and the other is just utility or theme.
    ADD Altaholic known as @Rejolt in game. I'm a dork, but hopefully a harmless one.
    edited September 2018
    I want something to make other than a Nightwarrior or AoPM hybrid toon that has to do one type of attack for damage and the other is just utility or theme.

Uh... isn't that backwards? Night Warrior and AoPM builds don't have that issue.

I'm not really sure what it is that you're trying to get here anyways. Is this the "I want all my attacks to have the same damage bonus" thing again?​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I think he probably wants them to fix Aspects of the Machine, or provide another Toggle Form which boosts damage types equally. Characters with a mix of melee and ranged attacks - pretty commonplace in comics - do feel like a bit of a grind to make.in CO.
    I think he probably wants them to fix Aspects of the Machine, or provide another Toggle Form which boosts damage types equally. Characters with a mix of melee and ranged attacks - pretty commonplace in comics - do feel like a bit of a grind to make.in CO.

Grind? All you have to do is select ranged and melee attacks on a character, where's the grind?​​
    Ranged and Melee don't work very well together. You have to pick a side, really.
    Ranged and Melee don't work very well together. You have to pick a side, really.
    That's not a grind, though. It's quite easy to build a character with both, it's just that it won't be very good.

I didn't mean grind as in lots of repetitive gameplay, I meant grind as in lots of effort for very little reward. Apologies for still having reality, rather than gaming, as my first choice for word definitions.
    Apologies for still having reality, rather than gaming, as my first choice for word definitions.

Even by non-gaming definitions that doesn't make sense, so apology not required because you're not actually doing the thing you're apologizing for.

Also if the builds are taking a lot of extra effort then that's probably more an issue of the specific builds involved. Awkward builds will play awkwardly, but mixed range/melee builds don't have to be awkard.​​
    I didn't mean grind as in lots of repetitive gameplay, I meant grind as in lots of effort for very little reward.
    That's what I meant too. There isn't a lot of effort (I mean, you can spend whatever effort you want on a build, but it's not inherently any harder than a pure build).
    That was a British apology, spinny.

But in respect of the mixed range and Melee characters... Generally players will encounter issues with optimisation unless they go down the quite limited power and stat paths which do synergise properly. While there certainly are passives to buff both sorts of damage you also tend to run into issues with roles and forms, especially with the latter tending to buff one damage type over another and having trigger conditions which are difficult to meet while using a particular attack type. It's a bit clunky.
    But in respect of the mixed range and Melee characters... Generally players will encounter issues with optimisation unless they go down the quite limited power and stat paths which do synergise properly. While there certainly are passives to buff both sorts of damage you also tend to run into issues with roles and forms, especially with the latter tending to buff one damage type over another and having trigger conditions which are difficult to meet while using a particular attack type. It's a bit clunky.

Again, if it's clunky it's because that's the way you built it. Don't wanna drive a clunker? Don't build a clunker. Clunk clunk!​​