test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Villain hotspots

I have noticed that nothing brings players together quite like city wide events. Whether it's Bloodmoon, Nighthawk, or giant mecha teddy bears, everybody puts aside what they're doing and teams up to protect Millenium City when these events are live. When there's no event happening, players loiter about in Ren Cen, dink around in Caprice, and only Cosmics seem to encourage players to form teams (outside of Millenium City, however).

Inspired by another superhero MMO's content, as well as certain missions that already exist in CO, here's an idea for a future update: hotspots.

Crime spree in City Center!

These words would appear in your alert box, and a red circle would appear on your map. Upon arriving at the designated location, players would encounter a mob of thugs, goons, and ruffians engaging in all manner of crime; smashing windows, looting stores, robbing citizens, and causing mayhem and destruction inside the hotspot. The villains wouldn't belong to any specific group like Dogz or Viper but instead are dressed in generic bad guy clothing (leather jackets/ski masks/bandana/pantyhose hood/burglar in domino mask with black and white horizontal striped shirt). The enemies threat level would auto-adjust to yours so that any hero between 6 and 40 would find them challenging. After a certain amount of time passes (or a specific number of villains were defeated) the zone would return to normal and order would be restored.

Zombie outbreak in Westside!

A swarm of the undead would climb out of the ground and spread through the city like a plague, requiring heroes to band together and send them back to their graves.

Qulaar invasion in Downtown!

Pesky aliens descend on Millenium City and it's up to us to repel the hostile creatures.

Sports riot in Liberty Park!

In a unique twist, the citizens themselves become a temporary enemy group.

These kind of missions already exist to an extent. This would be similar to the Nighthawk event mission however these would happen year round instead of only for a couple of weeks. Perhaps we could receive a new reward token for completing a specific number of these and redeem them for rewards from a vendor unique to these missions.

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    The idea of my Power Armor toon blowing away rowdy sports fans with her lasers and bombs amuses me. I approve. I mean we basically have this in game already with Open Missions, they would just need to place a bunch of them and then make some sort of system where they randomly activate throughout the day.

Just having them end after a certain time period won't do of course, cause then we would all just afk in the area until it ends for our rewards. Needing to blow away X things would work though. Could have it drop Until recognition.​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I definitely like the idea of more random events in MC, some for solo heroes, some for teams.
  • Maybe there could be a meter what appears when you're in the hotspot. If it goes all the way full the villains win, if it's emptied then heroes win. That way people wouldn't just power idle and wait for the reward, you'd have to actively fight to quell the threat. The mobs would fight MCPD, heroes, and other villains equally so it'd be one big fracas. In the other superhero MMO I mentioned, the sky would turn red and hordes of zombies would come crawling out of the ground, all ranked purple no matter your level, and everybody would swarm the area to help fight them until they were banished back to the underworld.

The Nighthawk event already does this hotspot idea so it'd be a simple matter of changing the theme of it to be whatever villain group you wanted. And instead of fighting one big creature like Qwyjibo or Clarence, their strength would come from their numbers. I feel this would encourage people to actively defend Millenium City, street sweeping rarely ever occurs unless it's for something like Bloodmoon, otherwise there's no real sense of urgency when it comes to defending the city from villains. Sure you can see trios of villains harassing NPCs but if you're already 40 then people let lower level players handle it.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Make sure the bad guys are targetable by something like /target rowdy sports nut. These guys should be free to run around a large, defined area. You have to defeat X number of them in a) Y time or b) before they do Z bad things.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • horripilantehorripilante Posts: 323 Arc User
    I f you could also add some of those to Canada, southeast Desert, Monster island and even Vibora Bay, i would back you up on that.
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Alien Invasion, we need an open world alien invasion event.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Out of all of these, the Crime Spree is the one I would most want to see since I feel it fills the most needed niche. Alternately, I'd love to see the mission for the burning building in Westside turned into an open mission.

horripilante does have a point about non MC zones, though.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • zamuelpwe wrote: »
    Out of all of these, the Crime Spree is the one I would most want to see since I feel it fills the most needed niche. Alternately, I'd love to see the mission for the burning building in Westside turned into an open mission.

horripilante does have a point about non MC zones, though.

Yes, in that other superhero MMO there was an open world mission where buildings would catch fire, and you could collect a fire extinguisher and temporary jet pack to reach the flames spewing from windows and target them to put it out.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    This sounds like what alerts were originally meant to be. I like the idea, of random OM popping up ingame, but well, the scope of this might be 6 years too late.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Rewards wouldn't have to be anything awesome either. It could just be SCR and some random mods and people would still attend them.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Isn't this something like the Mega-D OM? There are also the semi-random bank-robbing missions that pop up. If they could do those things, maybe this is also possible.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Isn't this something like the Mega-D OM? There are also the semi-random bank-robbing missions that pop up. If they could do those things, maybe this is also possible.

Pretty much yes, however instead of being only Mega D or Nighthawk villains it would be a random rotation of enemies to face in different locations around MC and maybe other zones too, that way players would flock to whatever zone currently under siege and band together to face the swarm causing a ruckus.

This could also be a good way to introduce new villain groups or existing ones but do more with them, such as Cobra Lords who don't have their own alert or event yet.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Yes, ESPECIALLY other zones! OOH! make it linked to the areas that already have OMs!

On second thought, the reality check here is that making it varied makes it take a MASSIVE amount of extra coding work. A High Noon style upgrade to Reign of Frogs sounds like a great idea. But you can't just copy paste that sort of thing.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Personally, I'd like some OMs that involve all those villains (in small groups) that occur only once or in some limited way in the game already (to save on resource development). E.g. good old Soviet Guard. Be nice to have them pop up in MC. There are those villains in the Nemesis Bunker Buster mission. Small groups of heroes fighting small groups of villains is a staple of the genre and should be more in evidence in the game.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    ooh... I just thought of something that could be fun... an OM inside Andrithal.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    This could also be a good way to introduce new villain groups or existing ones but do more with them, such as Cobra Lords who don't have their own alert or event yet.

I get that it was just used as a quick example but admittedly the Cobra Lords...are probably the least interesting choice for an alert or event.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • paperbellpaperbell Posts: 31 Arc User
    I like the idea of the Crime spree OM. However, I would want nemesis villains instead generic thugs.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    there are already some OMs scattered in MC. If devs could buff it up and put some nice rewards, peeps may get into.

Kinda like how Destroid OM became.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    Yes, I saved Bissele(?) once on my first hero; wasn't really worth a repeat. Now, have Soviet Guard (example) attack, and have heroes try to save the mayor, give some scr and interesting costume bits, and we could have some fun.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    The left side of my butt gets hot sometime for reasons unknown. Does that count?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    nepht wrote: »
    The left side of my butt gets hot sometime for reasons unknown. Does that count?

Only if a bunch of superheroes run up and start pummeling it.​​
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    Good idea. Bloodmoon is my favorite event. The rewards and exp makes everyone flock to it.