test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 7/17/2018

Comments

• kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
    So, funny thing happened at Kiga earlier. Kiga shrunk when hit by Draysha Pistol (so i've heard).
    9Ucz3mG.jpg

That's...pretty funny.​​
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I fail to see why anyone can be against these changes personally, Champions players are playing by 1 of 3 methods:

1) Current LTS - these continue exactly the same except for reasons not related to removing subs you no longer gain a free character slot every time you get a character to level 40, but cost of a new character slot now only costs 100 zen and since you get 500 zen a month and have likely run out of things to get (or will) that's enough for 5 more characters a month anyway.

2) Silver (non sub) players - these also continue exactly the same as before except with the one time premium pack they get almost every benefit of current gold subs at just 1500 zen, or FREE if you ever subbed previously! The cost of future character slots you want both at and freeform have also been slashed in price!

3) Gold (subbed) players - these players have 3 choices to continue playing:
    i) Keep subbed and don't let it lapse (if it does you have 2 choices - see below) this means you continue exactly as you are now but have the same minor adjustment regarding character slots as LTS (see above)
    ii) For the upfront cost of just 9 months sub you can upgrade to LTS at the moment due to the 60% off sale. This means you keep everything you have as a sub for the lifetime of the game and pay 9 months sub and never any more! Bargain unless you think the game will shut down in 8 months or less (since its here for a month Absolute minimum and is VERY unlikely to end for at least a few months even in the most pessimistic scenario.
    iii) Stop subbing, you lose access to your freeforms and lose 500 zen a month, everything else you keep due to the premium pack you get for free. But for the price of 2 months sub you can unlock one of your characters as freeform (6000 zen for 3 freeform slots). BUT you can unlock them for FREE by just playing the game and converting gold to questionite and questionite (from this conversion or earned in game) to zen instead. This is also only a benefit using real money you would have used to sub if you want to keep access to less than 5 characters, as its cheaper to get a LTS than it is to unlock 5+ characters.

Finally regarding the loss of a free character slot every time you get a character to 40 for LTS and subbed players. Spend a few minutes a week for 7 weeks doing vigilance and you get enough questionite to convert to zen to buy a character slot, that another character every 2 months ish for 30 minutes roughly spent playing the game over the course of 2 months! If you want more than 1 more character every other month do it with multiple characters - use 7 characters spending about 5 minutes a day total for an extra character slot every week!
    Before anyone says but its still using questionite I could use elsewhere - there are far faster ways to get lots of questionite (up to 8,000 per character per day) that this is a very small drop in the ocean.

Summary - EVERYONE is better off with the new system! What are you complaining about that the above doesn't cover and show you are better off, I would really like to know!
    Post edited by serendipitynow on
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    That's...pretty funny.
    PLEASE MAKE THIS A FEATURE, for special events or something onion-16.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • meamorkmeamork Posts: 3 Arc User
    Okay, so speaking as a Lifetime player, this frankly didn't affect me overly much. But my SG has its share of gold and silver players, so this is a clarification that I want to get. The ability to convert silver slots to freeform slots, can that also be used to convert locked gold slots into freeform slots? That seems like a real make-or-break situation for a lot of players, and I'm still unclear on if it can be done or not.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    So, funny thing happened at Kiga earlier. Kiga shrunk when hit by Draysha Pistol (so i've heard).
    9Ucz3mG.jpg

That's...pretty funny.

Reminds me of the old days when Experimental Blaster would Teddy Bear ... anyone or anything.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    I'm LTS, so I'm only minimally affected by the transition. However, my ability to convince my friends to rejoin or start playing has dropped drastically. They as a group despise the incremental-parts approach to being a paying customer, and prefer the earlier "subscribe, get the full game" style.

My real worry is what happens next fiscal year, when the bean counters point at CO's drop in regular income, and nominate it for the chopping block?
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Why do you care? You're quitting anyway, or at least that's what you said.

Or is this another of those things where someone proclaims loudly that they want nothing more to do with this game or company, then hangs around on the forums interminably to complain about all the things they believe are wrong with said game they want nothing to do with?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pjz99pjz99 Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I'd like to know if PTS access is supposed to be unlocked by the Premium Pack. I hope it is, at worst Cryptic will get more useful testing and feedback on preview content.

As a previous subscriber who now plays on a silver account, I welcome all the new options for non-subscribed accounts and especially the reduced price of Freeform slots. I hope Cryptic plans to reduce the price of retcon tokens similarly because twelve bucks is nuts (Neverwinter charges a dollar for a full character reset).
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    I'm LTS, so I'm only minimally affected by the transition. However, my ability to convince my friends to rejoin or start playing has dropped drastically. They as a group despise the incremental-parts approach to being a paying customer, and prefer the earlier "subscribe, get the full game" style.

My real worry is what happens next fiscal year, when the bean counters point at CO's drop in regular income, and nominate it for the chopping block?

Well I too preferred the sub and get full game model, then I went 2 years ago because I couldn't be bothered to pay for this and other things continously. I never tell anyone about CO because last person I told got bored in a very short timeframe. The people I associate with are very much modern gamers, and as such wouldn't find any enjoyment in CO. I'm a modern gamer as well, but coming from CoH I could understand CO in a way.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why do you care? You're quitting anyway, or at least that's what you said.

Or is this another of those things where someone proclaims loudly that they want nothing more to do with this game or company, then hangs around on the forums interminably to complain about all the things they believe are wrong with said game they want nothing to do with?

Again, everyone has a time in which they profess to not enjoy the game. What we're not trying to do here is keep people permanently away. That's just dumb on all levels.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    9Ucz3mG.jpg

That's...pretty funny.​​
    We had that happen on an OV grond as well. We thought a mini drive might have been involved, but couldn't find the debuff and the shrinking definitely ended with the draysha (it could be that draysha is somehow persisting other size effects past their normal duration).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    meamork wrote: »
    Okay, so speaking as a Lifetime player, this frankly didn't affect me overly much. But my SG has its share of gold and silver players, so this is a clarification that I want to get. The ability to convert silver slots to freeform slots, can that also be used to convert locked gold slots into freeform slots? That seems like a real make-or-break situation for a lot of players, and I'm still unclear on if it can be done or not.

Yes. If it's not a FF slot, then it's a standard slot. Subbers just happen to be able to make FF characters in standard slots.
    pjz99 wrote: »
    I'd like to know if PTS access is supposed to be unlocked by the Premium Pack.

It is. You'll have to sit through a 10GB download first though.​​
  • elseguard#5205 elseguard Posts: 76 Arc User
    Question for anyone who would know: is there a reason for no longer being able to sub once it lapses? They seem to have no problem letting players stay subbed if they cough up the dough monthly without fail.

I think subbing should have stayed as an option atleast for those who wanted that (personally it worked for me cause I rather pay whenever im ready to play and get access to all my characters I have made over all these years in one go). Also I feel like if they just don't want new players or ones who haven't subbed at all yet not to be able to sub, they could have atleast have it to where if you have subbed before then you can renew it anytime you want to like normal.

That way it would be pretty much the same as the new changes now but satisfies more people.
  • rapierwhiprapierwhip Posts: 125 Arc User
    Question for anyone who would know: is there a reason for no longer being able to sub once it lapses? They seem to have no problem letting players stay subbed if they cough up the dough monthly without fail.

I think subbing should have stayed as an option atleast for those who wanted that (personally it worked for me cause I rather pay whenever im ready to play and get access to all my characters I have made over all these years in one go). Also I feel like if they just don't want new players or ones who haven't subbed at all yet not to be able to sub, they could have atleast have it to where if you have subbed before then you can renew it anytime you want to like normal.

That way it would be pretty much the same as the new changes now but satisfies more people.

I have no idea why an existing revenue stream is being abandoned. As a businessman, myself, I would only abandon a project if the revenue generated did not exceed the expenses incurred in generating that revenue unless I was getting some other tangible benefit from it. This seems to tick all of the reasons to maintain the revenue stream. I can't imagine that the costs of maintaining the subscription model (costs for the model would include payment processing, account database management, and a negligible cost from the loss of giving out $5 in game currency [which might actually cost $.05] for the price of $15 income - the only possible expense that could exceed it would be the server database management if the number of subs is too low but if they are not farming that out to the same company that maintains the game servers at a bundled price, they are insane, and the database would still have to be maintained anyway to track player accounts, either silver or LTS) exceed the revenue generated from it and it is obvious that some people are so put off by the change that if/when their sub lapses, they are not going to bother with the game (possibly ever again, possibly for several months, either way is detrimental to income as those players will not be buying anything in game while they are not playing it). So revenue generated exceeds cost and a side tangible benefit is that people who prefer the sub model would stay with the game and continue to funnel $15ish/month into the game, either steadily or off and on. This move makes no logical sense to me. I cannot imagine that the people who have maintained on/off subs are going to fork out $30 bucks a pop to let them keep playing FF characters they had been playing without issue on their subs.

The Forumite formerly known as Galeforce.

If you want my money, there is a fairly simple way to get it since I am fairly free with how I spend it. First, produce something I consider to be worth buying. Second, offer it up for sale. Don't lock it behind a gambling scam. If I want something, I am perfectly happy to pay for it. But I will not purchase a CHANCE to get it, When I pay money, I have a perfectly logical right to expect to get what I want.
    I suspect it's less a question of "no problem" and more a question of "haven't come up with a viable means to push everyone off, so try to get the remaining people off via attrition". The massive LTS sale is probably designed to get rid of as many of them as possible.

While Cryptic hasn't commented, I suspect the subscription management system needs expensive maintenance that isn't justified given the number of people using it.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I gather they lack people to keep the subscription system running. I mean, isn't that the reason why every other CO feature was abandoned? Likes of Wiki(or was there ever one from Cryptic can't recall...), Champedia, Hideouts etc.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I guess the main thing what I want to know is, why give people less options if its not detrimental to the company and only seems to benefit it and the players who want it? (also if they wanted the system gone they could have just let people ride out the amount of time they paid for already and just end it after that) The changes and everything are nice and are a great improvement otherwise.

I'm one of those who probably wont be renewing next month so there goes that and while the discount price of lifetime is great especially compared to the normal price, like every other time they do a random popup sale for it, I do not have the funds for it right now so I miss out yet again ( except now the stakes are higher). I'm too invested after all these years of playing to abandon my characters I have created and enjoyed (especially with no real competition in any other superhero mmo, unfortunately for consumers), but I most likely wont be playing until I feel like throwing out the lump sum for the normal price of lifetime probably. I have no desire trying to grind my way back to just having the ability to play with the same characters I had access to just a month ago.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    Can anyone answer these 2 questions regarding the exclusive costume tokens in the premium pack before i claim please?

1) Can the tokens be moved to a diff character than the one who claimed the premium pack, or are they character bound
    2) On the exclusive costume vendor 2 of the costumes are actually devices. Both of these it says i have unlocked, but I only have fun cannon on 2 chrs (it says unlocked on all) and dont have tinfoil hat ray at all. Since it says they are unlocked I cant use the exclusive costume tokens to get either even though the chr doesn't have them, how CAN i get these?
    Yeah, I guess the main thing what I want to know is, why give people less options if its not detrimental to the company and only seems to benefit it and the players who want it?
    The obvious answer is that it is detrimental. We just don't know how.
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I guess the main thing what I want to know is, why give people less options if its not detrimental to the company and only seems to benefit it and the players who want it?
    The obvious answer is that it is detrimental. We just don't know how.

To be fair though, with some of the decisions made of the years with the game, I am not so sure what the reason is, sorry.
    To be fair though, with some of the decisions made of the years with the game, I am not so sure what the reason is, sorry.
    Why would you know? It's company internals.
    When it majorly effects the way a game is and how the players play it, especially when it involves something the users are putting money into and could increase or decrease that amount, I feel like it should be laid out properly and explained. But, your right its ultimately their decision to share that info or not just like it is our choice to accept it I guess.
  • Will veteran costume pieces be added to the Exclusive store? (such as the duck head)

Also, why did you change the Juggle device colors? The balls now have black diamond patterns on them. This is an outrage. :/
  • rslvfzgrslvfzg Posts: 49 Arc User
    Subscriptions
    • We will no longer be supporting making new monthly subscriptions.
    ​​

Congratz, you just killed the game ...
    Regloh@rslvfzg - PARAGON DAWN
    - Dawn Radio -
    edited July 2018
    Also, why did you change the Juggle device colors? The balls now have black diamond patterns on them. This is an outrage. :/
    What a weird thing, look like reverted 3D models I dont think it was done intentionally
    nWDIoDv.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    alrii wrote: »
    New Power: Last Stand
    • Supernatural Bestial Framework
    • Active Defense/Self Rez
    • Can only be used when defeated.
    • Fully restores your health, gives you a health boost, damage resistance and a massive amount of regeneration for 15 seconds.
    • This regeneration is different from regular healing, and isn't affected by any outside effects.
    • After 15 seconds, your health is dramatically reduced. For the next 10 seconds you cannot be healed and cannot use any active defenses.
    • Places other Self Rezzes and Active Defenses on cooldown.
    • Advantage (2): Grants a large amount of threat generation while active.
    • Advantage (2): Reduces the amount of time you are immune to healing.

ummm, i just had to look at this like thrice >.> either this thing is very situational or one of those weird non-choice powers
    even without the threat advantage it doesn't seem to serve a real defensive purpose compared to the others
    I'm wondering what "dramatically reduced" means.. half? 3/4?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    And Drifter has turned into a mime. He's leaning to a invisible wall...
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    alrii wrote: »
    New Power: Last Stand
    • Supernatural Bestial Framework
    • Active Defense/Self Rez
    • Can only be used when defeated.
    • Fully restores your health, gives you a health boost, damage resistance and a massive amount of regeneration for 15 seconds.
    • This regeneration is different from regular healing, and isn't affected by any outside effects.
    • After 15 seconds, your health is dramatically reduced. For the next 10 seconds you cannot be healed and cannot use any active defenses.
    • Places other Self Rezzes and Active Defenses on cooldown.
    • Advantage (2): Grants a large amount of threat generation while active.
    • Advantage (2): Reduces the amount of time you are immune to healing.

ummm, i just had to look at this like thrice >.> either this thing is very situational or one of those weird non-choice powers
    even without the threat advantage it doesn't seem to serve a real defensive purpose compared to the others

I think 90%.
    biffsig.jpg
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    90/85/80% at R1/R2/R3

Also something I wanted to point out: All other self-rez powers have an annoying 2 second activation time where you can't do anything. Although I haven't tried it out myself, if LS's tooltip is accurate, you should be able to use it and start moving around immediately.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica wrote: »
    90/85/80% at R1/R2/R3

Also something I wanted to point out: All other self-rez powers have an annoying 2 second activation time where you can't do anything. Although I haven't tried it out myself, if LS's tooltip is accurate, you should be able to use it and start moving around immediately.

Also since it is flagged as an Active Defense, Protector Mastery refreshes it.​​
  • immaragequitimmaragequit Posts: 11 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »

WOW It's like DEVs want to focus on the PVE aspect of a PVE focused game which is adverstised as a PVE game and that the Era of pvp in mmos is dead and the existing 1% of pvp fanbase is incredible toxic
    and the game is not dying, it's doing fine

Commit to your username and go play a Battle Royale with cheese if you want PeeVeePee​​

I didn't insult the PVE community itself or any player in specific, and here's this person I never met trying to disrespect me.
    What part of the community is toxic, again?
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I see mostly positives with this update:

- FreeForm slots are incredibly more affordable.
    - Character Slots are only $1 now
    - Power Customization is available now to everyone.
    - Former subscribers get the Premiun Pack for free.
    - LTS is on sale for a crazy discount
    - A Gold FF conversion token now exists.

The game is obviously moving towards micro-transactions as a revenue source. Just like STO and Neverwinter, so now all cryptic games make money the same way. It makes complete sense.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • waybig#9760 waybig Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2018

Misc
    • Addressed an issue where size growth effects from certain abilities could stack up to unintended amounts.

Thanks dev to ruin our fun now in game, what is the point to have made those powers in the first place if now we can't have fun with that anymore.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I've a major question.
    On the website, of course you're not selling the membership anymore. . . Does that make the membership cards from stores, away from the website, obsolete now?​​
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    meamork wrote: »

Yes. If it's not a FF slot, then it's a standard slot. Subbers just happen to be able to make FF characters in standard slots.
    pjz99 wrote: »
    I'd like to know if PTS access is supposed to be unlocked by the Premium Pack.

It is. You'll have to sit through a 10GB download first though.​​

In this age 10 GB is pretty light. I have a few RPGs from 2017 to now that range in the 50 to 100 GB range downloads from Steam.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    So as a LTS, what is the value of the Premium Pack? I already have access to the Monthly Subscriber Rewards.
  • there is no value unless you like titles and 2 (utterly useless on LTS) exclusive tokens on ONE character...that you can't even get rid of

so it's a rather good thing LTS gets the pack for free​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I see, so basically a slap to the face. Guess I shouldn't have clicked.
  • areklisareklis Posts: 7 Arc User

Form of the Swordsman
    • Removed Cut Where it Counts advantage.
    ​​

Kind of sucks to lose a niche like that. What did lead to it's removal? I mean, despite some nerfs to certain regenerating encounters quite a while back, there are still more of them around that were quite challenging even with this perk still in game.
  • aschershadowaschershadow Posts: 39 Arc User
    Possible Bug? After purchasing the Premium Pack, I'm not seeing an option to change all the Power Colors, only individually. The only other option is to use the Powerhue Command.
    edited July 2018
    Possible Bug? After purchasing the Premium Pack, I'm not seeing an option to change all the Power Colors, only individually. The only other option is to use the Powerhue Command.

That's because FF slots were never given the option to Colour All powers on the select screen​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Lol wut? it's FREE to LTS! Most people like free stuff!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Lol wut? it's FREE to LTS! Most people like free stuff!

I got tokens, yet everything I could use it on I already claimed, oh and they're not adding any more to that store, so yeah, sure it's free, it's just not worth anything.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.

Yeah. The free thing that means nothing to you is a slap to the face. Now that's some top tier whining.​​
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yeah. The free thing that means nothing to you is a slap to the face. Now that's some top tier whining.​​

I stand outside McDonald's for 12 hours every day protesting their senior discounts. As a person under 65, that policy is insulting to me, potentially a hate crime.