test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not being able to create comic book character from marvel or dc?

i heard it when i first joined the game from a random person that u can't create these kind of characters or they'll ban you, is that true? and why? i mean we create marvel/dc inspired characters in games, it's obviously what people like to do, recreate what we like.

Comments

• stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    Because DC and Marvel have lawyers and Cryptic is afraid of them. Lawyers are scary, scary people that do things like protect intellectual property. They're the stuff of nightmares.

If you make a DC or Marvel character, you should thank Cryptic if they ban you. They're saving themselves, their game, and your ability to play the game.

They won't actually ban you, though. At least not for a first offense. They'll force name change your characters, though.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    You see Marvel/DC INSPIRED characters are ok, straight out of copies are not, name and all.
    And since Co such amazing features to create a hero of your own, why copy some mediocre ones.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • leowyld#9736 leowyld Posts: 18 Arc User
    Being creative and designing an original character can be fun (I write, so it especially something I enjoy). Give it a try.

Here's a somewhat ironic tale related to this subject, though, because I dabbled in imitation some, myself. Back in late 2012, early 2013, I had first really become a big Rocket Raccoon fan - in no small part inspired by participating in the Beta forums for Marvel Heroes. But Marvel Heroes had very, very limited Closed Beta testing windows (a couple hours a few times a week, at most) and Rocket wasn't even added until eight months after I started the Beta. My anticipation for playing Rocket in the future on that game and my energy of being a fan had to go somewhere (Rocket wasn't in every single Marvel game yet back then - only UMvC3, which I didn't have), so I made an attempt to make him on Champions Online. Fortunately for me (it avoided "generic"ing), the best I could approximate with available costume parts was a small werewolf-looking creature.

Years later, last anniversary, they introduced the raccoon costume parts. Now, I could make a proper raccoon character... but I realized making Rocket with those parts would be too on the mark and would get me in trouble. Plus, I had a raccoon character of my own in my writing, it would allow more freedom and be safer to make him - but when I had trouble fitting my lore for the character with the Champions setting, I just flat out made him a character completely originally written for this setting: Leo Crawford Wyld (although I did borrow some elements of the character form my writing). I wanted to emphasize his being a distinct raccoon character that isn't Rocket. He's gray, not brown. He's human-sized, not the tiny size of Rocket. No guns, he attacks with claws and now an electric guitar. I go out of my way to make his costume aesthetics be unlike what Rocket has worn (and I would know). LCW is a raccoon, in reality and self-identified as such, and not an alien that looks exactly like one. Wrote a full backstory over on PRIMUS database, even.

Irony... Many people didn't get Rocket when I was trying to make him with those werewolf parts. Now I have an original raccoon character - almost everyone thinks it is Rocket Raccoon. It is frustrating but I guess if you were a procyonid superhero, it would be a problem you'd often encounter. So yay for realism?

I thought I had a good point here, but I think I lost it somewhere. Hmm. I guess it is, I've enjoyed trying to create an original hero more than trying to copy an existing one. But also, despite intentions, that you can try to copy and do such a bad job at it that no one notices. You can also work hard to make something original and have people think you are copying because of a shared detail. Heh. It's funny how things work, I guess.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Basically if you create a character that looks like a copyrighted character and or use a copyrighted name you will be in trouble and have to fix the character so it is not infringing on copyrights.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Reminder, City of Heroes got hit with a lawsuit by Marvel because PLAYERS were creating Clones of their licensed property, they won the lawsuit but this was set as a reminder

and it's not only about DC and Marvel, creating any clone from licensed franchise is against the Term of Services

The last thing we want is for CO to get sued, that would be a disaster, so don't create clones that violate copyrights- PERIOD

This game is about creating your own Characters, NOT Blatantly copying licensed properties and walking around with clones of Superman and Batman​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Short answer, it's copyright infringement.

If you want to make a super strong guy who flys around. Go for it. Homage characters are fine. Just be careful to not exactly match the original in name and likeness.

But if you make his costume an excact copy of Superman's and then name that character xxSupermanxx. Well, you'll probably log into later to find that costume wiped and your character forcibly renamed.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    riverocean wrote: »
    But if you make his costume an excact copy of Superman's and then name that character xxSupermanxx. Well, you'll probably log into later to find that costume wiped and your character forcibly renamed.
    That's not exaggeration, either - people do things like that sometimes. That's what inspired one of my toons, Supermanx. (Blue tights, red trunk and cape, cat head, claw powers - he was the first attempt by my recurring Nem, the Gengineer, to follow in the footsteps of his heroes Dr. Moreau and Teleios, but the Gengineer still hasn't worked out the mind-control protocols.)

You can do "inspired by", as long as you don't do imitations; you can also do parodies, which are protected under copyright law (that's why I have Captain Americlown, Spider-Bat, and Weapon Xmas, who have "similar but different" costumes from their inspirations and very different backstories - Weapon Xmas, for instance, was created by Grandfather Winter's elves as a backup for the Krampus). But if you clone, as soon as the Powers What Is become aware your character will be genericed (placed in blue jeans and white T-shirt) and badnamed (name changed to Badname #(whatever the number is up to these days)). Repeated violations can lead to a ban.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Most people don’t know how to make a homage anyways...

But blue tights and red boots with a red cape named: Super Kent. Is a clone.

Someone in red tights and blue boots named Super Kent...not a clone.

Sometimes it’s silly switches...but if you try to make Superman and name him something different, it’s still Superman
  • leowyld#9736 leowyld Posts: 18 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    riverocean wrote: »
    That's not exaggeration, either - people do things like that sometimes. That's what inspired one of my toons, Supermanx. (Blue tights, red trunk and cape, cat head, claw powers - he was the first attempt by my recurring Nem, the Gengineer, to follow in the footsteps of his heroes Dr. Moreau and Teleios, but the Gengineer still hasn't worked out the mind-control protocols.)

My hero's origin indirectly ties to Moreau, as well. Heh. But to a former assistant of his that I invented for the sake of my story, Hemming Franz, who went off on his own to create his own lab after discovering some alien tech. Haven't had Dr. Franz as a nemesis yet, because it feels like something I should work up to after a few lesser nemeses.
  • nayaflask#5866 nayaflask Posts: 20 Arc User
    wow this answered my question, with so many deadpool clones, I havent seen anyone using the name correctly...
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    I've actually ran into a problem. A long time ago in the beginning year of the game. I made a toon named "Rydia". I liked the name. She is still named that. So, why bring her up? Final Fantasy 4 has a character named "Rydia". Now, my toons looks nothing like FF4's Rydia. Not even remotely related. I've ran into the problem of wanting to change her name to include her last name...but, suddenly Rydia is not accepted as a name, cannot include it even with other words in the name. So, I'd be surprised if you'd be able to use "Kent". I'm not sure how to go about changing her name, I want to keep her name as is.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Don't make this, and don't call it "Iron Mann" or "Iron Dude" or anything like that:
    a1ed78d338ac2d9385f346912ba2c472.png

Something like this is more acceptable, and be sure to name it something a bit more clever, like "Carmine Crusader":
    d41f0a1541d80df59b67cc3593d8999f.png​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    With the millions of things you could create, why would you want to create a boring **** Marvel costume. They wish their characters looked as cool as ours.​​
    @soulforger the name is fine.

CO has put a block on some names to prevent using copyrighted material, but even still some names are public domain and shouldn’t be blocked.

As long as your character isn’t Rydia, you are good
  • created Invictoria as homage to Statesman, Superman, Shazam. Although he is a healer/DPS I think his costume is cool ill post a screenie once I get out of work
    Homages are cool too. Want to emulate an existing character just because you like the powerset? Change name and/or appearance. For instance, Hypernova originated as a Superman expy, but he looks like this:
    Hypernova_zpsqhhh62qt.png
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

That’s always been my favorite of yours, Jon

CO has put a block on some names to prevent using copyrighted material, but even still some names are public domain and shouldn’t be blocked.

Well, that is the thing, last time I checked, it gave an error when I tried to change it, the error read: Thisname contains restricted words.

The word is, Rydia. Ry is fine as long as I add something else other than dia after it. Dia is fine as is. But, the second I put in Rydia, it gives that error. Even if I were to seperate Ry and Dia so it would read "Ry Dia", I get that error. Changing the Y to an i gets rid of the error, but, I want the name "Rydia". And, to me, a name is just a name as long as it is your character that has the name is not the copyrighted character. So, I should be able to use this name. But, it is restricted.

Oddly enough, after trying several other Final Fantasy characters, especiall more well known ones, their names can be used. So, why is the name "Rydia", different? Is it a cuss word in some lanugage or something? A slang/slur or something that I don't know about? Why out of all the Final Fantasy characters, is her name the only one restricted?
    But, on the topic of homages and what not. Those are fine. While I have no direct homage character, I do have a few toons with costumes based on existing characters (from games and or other sources).

Such as the costume I gave to my second ever made character, it was updated several times, but, I enjoy it.

DonMario_zps6gflmxdc.png?t=1531725830
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    A few of my characters are clones of IP that I personally own. Does that mean I can sue cryptic?
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    A few of my characters are clones of IP that I personally own. Does that mean I can sue cryptic?

Probably... but only in California.
    aesica wrote: »
    No, but if you tell them, it does mean that you violated the ToS, although I don't know that they'd do anything about it. (I looked into that once - even the original creator of a character isn't allowed to make them in CO. Bill Finger and Bob Kane themselves wouldn't have been allowed to recreate Batman in-game.)

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »

Well, that is the thing, last time I checked, it gave an error when I tried to change it, the error read: Thisname contains restricted words.

The word is, Rydia. Ry is fine as long as I add something else other than dia after it. Dia is fine as is. But, the second I put in Rydia, it gives that error. Even if I were to seperate Ry and Dia so it would read "Ry Dia", I get that error. Changing the Y to an i gets rid of the error, but, I want the name "Rydia". And, to me, a name is just a name as long as it is your character that has the name is not the copyrighted character. So, I should be able to use this name. But, it is restricted.

Oddly enough, after trying several other Final Fantasy characters, especiall more well known ones, their names can be used. So, why is the name "Rydia", different? Is it a cuss word in some lanugage or something? A slang/slur or something that I don't know about? Why out of all the Final Fantasy characters, is her name the only one restricted?
    Well, some names are inherently uncopyrightable. For example: Cinderella, Disney made a movie named that, but they can't copyright the NAME because they didn't create the name. The name comes from a non-copyrighted source. They CAN sue you for replicating the likeness of their version of Cinderella though.

As for Final Fantasy.... a lot of them are just normal people names to Japanese people. Squall, Riku, Rikku, Paine, Yuna? None of them are actually original names. Thus the makers of the FF games can't copyright those NAMES even though they can copyright the characters the names are used for.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • For example: Cinderella, Disney made a movie named that, but they can't copyright the NAME because they didn't create the name.

yeah, tell that to konami...leon wilson's cinderella card? finally got released in the TCG - except it's now called prinzessin, not cinderella​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    You can't copyright ANY name. Copyrights are intended for complete works, such as literature, artwork, or comic book issues. Characters can't be copyright either. What you're talking about is trademark, which protects a specific character or brand but it isn't the same as copyright. You can have another Cinderella character and if you're not causing brand confusion you could probably get away with it. And with things like this the people defending the copyright having more money than you would pretty much ensure they'd win that battle. But like if you were to create a panini press named Cinderella and it didn't look like a princess Disney probably wouldn't bug you.

Anyway, this game having a list of banned names is a result of their former lawsuit, and they probably have to maintain it as a result of that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    i mean we create marvel/dc inspired characters in games, it's obviously what people like to do, recreate what we like.

People create inspired characters in CO and it's totally fine. The clones are what earns bans.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    kamokami wrote: »
    i mean we create marvel/dc inspired characters in games, it's obviously what people like to do, recreate what we like.

People create inspired characters in CO and it's totally fine. The clones are what earns bans.
    I've seen web games where the devs make new characters constantly and are rather blatant about drawing inspiration from pop culture and fiction. Except they never make straight copies. they tend to meld bits of two characters to make something new... or just distort them greatly.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    They could literally go as far as making an exact copy of a trademarked character, give him a super edgy 90s name like Warwolf, and be in the clear. No really, look up Warwolf from Image Comics. :P
    biffsig.jpg
    kamokami wrote: »

I've seen web games where the devs make new characters constantly and are rather blatant about drawing inspiration from pop culture and fiction. Except they never make straight copies. they tend to meld bits of two characters to make something new... or just distort them greatly.
    Heck, I've done that too. Spider-Bat, for instance, using martial arts, gadgets, superhuman strength, and swinging.

Spider_Bat.jpg

His backstory: Eccentric billionaire Peter Wayne was hunting rare spiders in the Amazon when he was bitten by a rabid radioactive bat, and became a little confused.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The name filter does not know what your costume looks like. It just knows that you're using a word that's on a list somewhere.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    They could literally go as far as making an exact copy of a trademarked character, give him a super edgy 90s name like Warwolf, and be in the clear. No really, look up Warwolf from Image Comics. :P

Oh hey Sabretooth.

Looks like Rob dun gone did it again. Another example he did was Fighting American. Seriously guys make ripoffs for days, thems fair game... just don't make clones.

The name filter does not know what your costume looks like. It just knows that you're using a word that's on a list somewhere.

True, which is stupid, unless the character's name is of someone that is stupidly popular, it shouldn't be on the list. Though, I do not think any name should be on the list, we players just got to report the very obvious clones. If I see superman, but, he is not clark kent or even remotely looks like superman, than, all is good.
    edited July 2018
    If I see superman, but, he is not clark kent or even remotely looks like superman, than, all is good.

Yeah I don't think that is going to work. They block out names for a reason, and even if it isn't a super popular character they probably just decided to play it safe, also some names might be characters from the Champions pnp and they are blocked from being used in CO incase cryptic ever decides to use that character.

edited July 2018
    beezeeze wrote: »
    even if it isn't a super popular character they probably just decided to play it safe

Even super obscure characters in no way related to the super hero genre can get you defaulted. I get the feeling GMs just do a google search and if anything pops up for the character, you're defaulted. Years ago I made a Touhou character and bam, default.​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    beezeeze wrote: »
    even if it isn't a super popular character they probably just decided to play it safe

Even super obscure characters in no way related to the super hero genre can get you defaulted. I get the feeling GMs just do a google search and if anything pops up for the character, you're defaulted. Years ago I made a Touhou character and bam, default.​​

Except Touhou is in no way shape or form super obscure. Not as well known amongst western groups as final fantasy games, but, well known enough to have a decent sized fan base. Though, I doubt you were connecting the two.
    That other guy used Superman as an example and well... "super obscure characters" but yeah nevermind that I have never head of Touhou before and since it is not someones's name(well it might be but it is a really generic word..) idk why that should be blocked. Maybe there is a champs pnp character with that name?

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Hey, the Champions IP is already replete with recognizable analogues/homages to well-known comic characters: Defender/Iron Man, Grond/Hulk, Nighthawk/Batman, Black Harlequin/Joker-Toyman, Firewing/Firelord, Vanguard/Superman, Robert Caliburn/John Constantine, Dr. Silverback/Beast, Kinematik/Magneto, Prince Marus/Aquaman-Namor, the Witness/Phantom Stranger, Xarriel/Darkseid-Thanos, Fabulous Five/Fantastic Four, Roin'esh/Durlans-Skrulls, Empyreans/Eternals, Star*Guard/Green Lantern Corps, etc. etc. Similar abilities and attitudes, and filling the same "ecological niche" in the setting, but different enough in name, background and appearance to slip by copyright.
    edited July 2018
    Hell, Kagami's name for a while was Kagami The Amazing Magical Cat Gerl because it blocked it if I spelled Girl correctly. So I guess some bit character representing a younger Cat Woman was the reason I had to walk around with a typo as my name, even though every instance of her dumb name I can find is Catgirl, no space.​​
    edited July 2018
    Cat Girl was/is blocked... I am still not sure exactly why... but I always assumed that where that gerl thing came from

meanwhile my ninja catgirl became kunoichi kitten!

Apparently Catgirl has been used by three different DC characters (used by Duela Dent when she was trying to get closer to Robin, used by Carrie Kelly in The Dark Knight Strikes Again, and used by Catwoman's sidekick during the New Earth storylines, between Crisis On Infinite Earths and Flashpoint). So that's why you can't use "Catgirl", "Cat Girl", or "CatGirl".

There's a list of restricted names here; I have no idea how up-to-date it is.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    imnotacloneimafreeman.jpg
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    What you get when you throw a variety of comics in a blender.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    imnotacloneimafreeman.jpg
    :#
    Flashiron Wolvercable Ameribat!

edited July 2018

You gotta throw a Wonder on there to acknowledge the lasso of truth. And possibly a Super?​​
    That helm has always bothered me where the line is near the fins
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You could always add a shield on one side.
    spinnytop wrote: »

You gotta throw a Wonder on there to acknowledge the lasso of truth. And possibly a Super?​​
    Superwonder Flashiron Wolvercable Ameribat!

Superwonder Flashiron Wolvercable Ameribat!

"And two hard-boiled eggs."

"HONK!"

"Make that three hard-boiled eggs."