test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exporting characters for 3d printing?

I logged in for the first time in a very long time (1346 days to be exact). I got all nostaligic-y and everything.

Then I started thinking how cool it would be if I could cover my desk with my 99 alts while I learned all the new stuff in the game.

So, here I am, asking if its possible (or even allowed) to export our characters to a standard 3d print file?

Comments

• krynitekrynite Posts: 1 Arc User
    I logged in to ask this very thing. lol
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    No experience with 3d printing but I would love to know...might make me buy one
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Not possible.
    We're hollow inside and seethru.
    Nothing solid to put in printable file.
    Explained with more details and technical knowhow in same category thread(s).
    And if you find a way, don't ask permission or publish how-to...
    :#
    Aaaand...http://www.doowah3d.com/champions-online/
    https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/73845-export-3d-models-from-mmo/
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/search?adv=&search=3d+print&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&discussion_poll=1&comment_c=1&comment_answer=1&within=1+day&date=
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Go to Sketchfab and get something printable that looks sort of like a hero of yours, custom paint it.

Try Heroforge for the same effect, maybe send them an e-mail and request more super hero stuff.

Holy Crap, $290 a costume at Heromods, Cryptic is losing out on a fortune.

$90 to $140 at My3DAgency

Make Human might be the place to start making your custom character for 3D printing. Some further tips here.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Seems like if you just screenshot it from all the angles, you should be able to find someone who can whomp it up. If someone is good at the software, it is not that hard to model. Might be expensive.

Best suggestion I have is go to your local college/university, find the 3D printing lab, or the gamers club and see if you can pay a student to do them up from your screenies.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Cryptic should be smart and do something similar like they are doing with STO. I know several people who haven't played in years but said they would pay to have their characters made into 3D figures.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    I know this is NOT 3D printing... so to speak but it does work in a similar and cost effective way.

Tutorial on Making (almost) any game model into a 3D Papercraft Model.

I know the learning curve is very high on this, but there are some free software solutions, and tons more tutorials on this subject.
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Not possible.
    We're hollow inside and seethru.
    Nothing solid to put in printable file.
    Well, it's technically possible to calculate what is inside of a surface, though CO doesn't do so and it might be tricky to do. The other problem, though, is that a fair number of costume parts have zero thickness, are too thin to actually craft and hold together, or aren't actually attached to the body.
    @flyingfinn and @pantagruel01 If you boys would look at my link above, you would see there is a possible way to capture the 3D models without extraction. 3D Ripper DX in that article hooks any model from any 3D game running it through the Direct X. Therefor you are hacking Direct X and not the game. The game remains untouched as everything that passes through the Direct X is ripped. I have not tried this for Neverwinter but I was able to pull my 3D models from Guild Wars without issue. The people at ArenaNet stated we are allowed to do this only as long as we are doing so for personal use and not reselling or using their models in another game.

They also officially said, "To all modders: It's important to note that the parameters concerning the use of third-party programs do still apply. We cannot condone the use of such programs, and we cannot support the accounts of those who may be negatively impacted in using such programs. That's called the "If it eats your hard drive and blows up your refrigerator, don't call us" policy."

I don't know if Cryptic has such a policy and I don't care. I wouldn't bother telling them, if I did anyways. They never respond to any of my queries, so why should I?
    banner.png
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    @flyingfinn and @pantagruel01 If you boys would look at my link above, you would see there is a possible way to capture the 3D models without extraction.
    My major point is that many costumes are simply impossible to manufacture even if you did generate a proper 3d model.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    It would be amazing if this were actually a thing. Can't see it happening, but I can dream.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I mean, I already told you guys how to do it...
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    I mean, I already told you guys how to do it...

Where?
  • alt0angel0skalt0angel0sk Posts: 137 Arc User
    i love this idea
    Sadly this product is no longer sold by ThinkGeek. They were sold for $13 each or $20 for both. This would have been perfect for many of the more typical champion models.
    19c6_diy_6in_action_fig_kits.gif
    banner.png