Commander
Guardian
Overseer
Protector
Sentinel
Sentry
Vindicator
Warden

Soo.... What are they good for? Looking over this I can't think of a single time I've seen a build with "Commander" as a recommended spec. Is that for pets or something?

They're all different, what builds are they all good for?
ChampsWiki
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My characters

Comments

• thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    I’ve used Commander spec before when running around with pets wasn’t a bad idea, especially with pre- nerfed aura of Ebon destruction.

When cosmics were reworked, pets no longer fight the ‘meta’ hence no longer seen as much, if at all. A pet build may still be decent in solo content
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    [color=magenta]Look at this link to show you the intended purpose of spec tree's.[/color]

http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Specializations
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well, yes, but I was really thinking of discussing their roles in the meta-game and what is weak/strong in the current meta.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Commander is good for a narrow niche (pets)- a niche that's prob not going to be in the end-game meta anytime soon. Arbiter is the only other one I would rarely consider, mostly cause its just outclassed. It still has some potential w/ Rend and Concussion for debuffing, but the Mastery is generally inferior to something like Sentinel Mastery. Overseer is also a bit more niche, but Trapped is a nice dps buff for groups, and the spec can still boost your healing a decent amount.

The other specs are useful more-or-less along the general titles they have ('pure melee dps', 'tank + support', 'pure tank' etc), and you can pick them according to the goals or focus for your build and do well. One can get more specific than that w/ them, but its a decent overarching rule.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    So why do you consider arbiter too weak?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited July 2018
    Limited/niche Mastery, Mastery doesn't proc Honor, Concussion takes stuns (and constant upkeep on high-rank targets w/ the shortened duration), Enforcer is somewhat weak. Dps boosts from the spec aren't great overall, since Honor can only be proced in ways that are sub-optimal for dps. Arbiter Aura is weak since its in the earliest dmg layer and melee-only. The spec is not even that great at boosting healing.

There's some bright spots there, but in general Arbiter doesn't deliver enough overall for me to usually recommend it atm. If you want better support, Sentinel is great and Sentry is pretty good. If you want melee dps, Brawler is superior, and even Warden and Vind can be better.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Limited/niche Mastery, Mastery doesn't proc Honor,
    Well CRAP, I wish I'd known that before I just specced into it. The Mastery does not proc one of its own specs, what is up with that???
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Limited/niche Mastery, Mastery doesn't proc Honor.
    Honor is only procced by direct heals (otherwise it would be semi-useful in combination with sentinel aura).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Soo.... What are they good for? Looking over this I can't think of a single time I've seen a build with "Commander" as a recommended spec. Is that for pets or something?

My summoner build uses it. Yes it's for pets, to make summoning them faster, make them tougher, and make them deal more damage.​​
    edited July 2018
    Limited/niche Mastery, Mastery doesn't proc Honor.
    Honor is only procced by direct heals (otherwise it would be semi-useful in combination with sentinel aura).
    Honor also procs from Med Nanites' and Seraphim's passive heal auras, as long as there's allies/pets around (and even if its all over-heal). I know that not all heal auras are made to function the same, but it would be kinda nice to add Arbiter Mastery procs to that short list. Ofc, there's other ways to improve the tree too.
    It's probably more likely that nanites and seraphim will be fixed to not proc it u3u​​
    edited July 2018
    Maybe, but I dunno what the devs' current ruling is on allowing that interaction. Med Nanites and Seraphim aren't what I'd call 'OP' atm.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    IMHO Avenger + Sentinel (w/Sentinel Mastery) is an uncommon pairing, that is surprisingly good. Especially on a build that has a main attack with a chance to stun, or a spammable stun power. For example, Electrical Current (w/Bad Wiring) procs Sentinel Mastery enough to refill my health bar when attacking a large group. So Avenger buffs damage, while Sentinel adds additional survival. Not a bad combo at all.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    Can confirm, Avenger + Sentinal very strong. I made a dual spec off-tank toon with it. It's a barrel of laughs in alerts.​​