test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: Most of the "Elite" Players Don't Mind the Wardicator Fix

I cannot post extracts from the chats cause it would be against the channel rules, but most everyone in the "Elite" channel's reaction to the current changes ranged from "Oh...this actually doesn't ruin my build, it still works fine" to "Oh, this new build is actually really good, I should have changed into this a long time ago!".

So there, the gaem was not killed and tanks aren't fucked, the "elites" said so TiQ3RTF.png​​

Comments

• deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    folks-i-dont-know-what-to-tell-you-this-bait-27681064.png​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    deadman20 wrote: »
    folks-i-dont-know-what-to-tell-you-this-bait-27681064.png​​

:+1:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    tumblr_inline_oyww48RpVD1tqdwzd_500.png​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    It's a pure bait post, but he's not wrong. We're talking what a 3 point loss in defense for most folks. It's hardly noticeable. And I'm far from an Elite.

*Shrugs*
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I brought my Wardicator Invuln tank to cosmics today and tanked with her. This change gets a hearty shrug from me and a thumbs up where my arm doesn't raise off the table.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    riverocean wrote: »
    It's a pure bait post, but he's not wrong
    avianos wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_oyww48RpVD1tqdwzd_500.png

Yup, that's me :D I say out loud what everyone is thinking deep down. FPD at your service o7​​
    Im watching a wardicator tank solo tank Dino literally as im typing this u3u
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some wardicators retconned, but it's not like there are no viable alternatives.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some wardicators retconned, but it's not like there are no viable alternatives.

On the contrary, there are many alternatives that have always been more viable than wardicator, and some that will still get you basically the same thing \o/
    spinnytop wrote: »
    On the contrary, there are many alternatives that have always been more viable than wardicator
    'More viable' depends on what you want to do. There were always spec choices that gave more defense or more offense.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    Which gave more defense?
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    It's a pure bait post, but he's not wrong. We're talking what a 3 point loss in defense for most folks. It's hardly noticeable. And I'm far from an Elite.

*Shrugs*
    When I copied a heroic-gear-clad wardicator over to PTS, she lost 18% defense (from 66% to 48%) and 5% offense (from 15% to 10%). The only way 3% fits into the equation is that's about how much defense Aggressive Stance 2/2 gives her now.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Which gave more defense?
    You get higher effective hit points, by a fairly significant margin, out of warden-protector, and you can get more mitigation out of warden-sentry.
  • cannotdenycannotdeny Posts: 23 Arc User
    I don't really give a **** what people on The Endgame say, because I've used to be able to do Elite Aftershocks by the skin of my teeth with a themed build (Which I find fun) and end-game gear including Distinguished pieces and R7s/some R9s + Onslaught Gear

I lost 25% defense, that's huge. I can't do Elite content anymore unless I pull one mob by one/die constantly while trying to not aggro more than a few. I love running AOPM, and Wardicator is practically my only defense for it.

Not even going to get into the 8% damage loss as well, I'm mostly pissed at the defense drop.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    cannotdeny wrote: »
    I don't really give a **** what people on The Endgame say, because I've used to be able to do Elite Aftershocks by the skin of my teeth with a themed build (Which I find fun) and end-game gear including Distinguished pieces and R7s/some R9s + Onslaught Gear

I lost 25% defense, that's huge. I can't do Elite content anymore unless I pull one mob by one/die constantly while trying to not aggro more than a few. I love running AOPM, and Wardicator is practically my only defense for it.

Not even going to get into the 8% damage loss as well, I'm mostly pissed at the defense drop.

Elite Aftershock isn't terribly hard. Slow and boring, yeah, but tough..nah
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    It sounds like the problem there is the idea that AoPM is actually good for soloing.
    edited July 2018
    No, it sounds more like a problem that a spec was able to allow me to run a build I pleased and still do OK in harder content, but that's not the case anymore. I like AOPM, and I've found a viable option to run it (considering it isn't a huge damage or defensive boost, which Wardicator to some extent allowed me freedom to build with it.)

I really want nothing to do with trinities, super tanks, or posters saying "You can do this and that with these skills instead, 25% defense loss when its your only passive reduction isn't a big deal because my build does fine", I play freeform to, you guessed it, build my own theme and abilities.

Yes a lot of salt with this post but I can't help it at this point.

*Edit because brain fart*
    No, it sounds more like a problem that a spec was able to allow me to run a build I pleased and still do OK in harder content, but that's not the case anymore.
    An overpowered spec let you use an underpowered build. That doesn't mean the spec should remain overpowered.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    2ddczr.jpg
    edited July 2018
    ^ which will be an even less significant change, but let's get it out of the way before people start "depending" on it.

Oh and while we're at it, fix Sentinel Mastery.

I really want nothing to do with trinities, super tanks, or posters saying "You can do this and that with these skills instead, 25% defense loss when its your only passive reduction isn't a big deal because my build does fine", I play freeform to, you guessed it, build my own theme and abilities.

Well too bad, I solo harder content with squishier builds so you should be able to do it with less squishy builds. The sooner you stop your pity party the sooner you can start making better builds that don't rely on outdated crutches. I can tell that you're still living in 2013 when you use the phrase "super tank" as that is a completely outdated term now. It's time to update your brain and realize that those old crutches were already garbage and that there's actually stronger stuff available now.

And yes, theme. I use it, how 'bout you?
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    lookit man most of my ranged dps are wdicator...is here something better? if so pls help.

also vex an spinny if youi know a seceret tell everyone or I will

• gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    beezeeze wrote: »
    lookit man most of my ranged dps are wdicator...is here something better? if so pls help.
    Ranged DPS?
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Avenger
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Vindicator
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Overseer
    Primary super stat - Overseer - Vindicator
    primary super stat - Overseer - Avenger
    Primary super stat - Avenger - Vindicator

Well it's not really a secret that it's spec is not exactly as it says. It's supposed to give 10%/20%+ Critical chance to single targets attacks on targets above 90% health. However that's happening all the time regardless of enemy health percentage.
    ^ which will be an even less significant change, but let's get it out of the way before people start "depending" on it.

Oh and while we're at it, fix Sentinel Mastery.

Well too bad, I solo harder content with squishier builds so you should be able to do it with less squishy builds. The sooner you stop your pity party the sooner you can start making better builds that don't rely on outdated crutches. I can tell that you're still living in 2013 when you use the phrase "super tank" as that is a completely outdated term now. It's time to update your brain and realize that those old crutches were already garbage and that there's actually stronger stuff available now.

And yes, theme. I use it, how 'bout you?

The world doesn't revolve around you.
    Nor me, but you seem to always want to get the last word as if your opinion is the de-facto truth.
    Yes, fix both avenger and sentinel mastery (for reference, I have characters with both. Also with wardicator).
    edited July 2018

Well than... yeah, um... Haha! Pretty sure I was just bluffing anyways!!

Ranged DPS?
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Avenger
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Vindicator
    Primary super stat - Guardian - Overseer
    Primary super stat - Overseer - Vindicator
    primary super stat - Overseer - Avenger
    Primary super stat - Avenger - Vindicator

All jokes aside this is helpful.

Nor me, but you seem to always want to get the last word as if your opinion is the de-facto truth.

I have videos that show that what I'm saying is fact. Link in my sig.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

*Shrugs*

Seriously, THAT's what folks were salty about????

This is my wtf face: :/

I have videos that show that what I'm saying is fact. Link in my sig.

Yes, and I have anectodal evidence for my build not being able to do content I was previously able to. Hence my frustration, because the build I play - the abilities I've chosen, along with the passive and specialization, is no longer able to do what it could before.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't heavily change my abilities and passive, but that detracts from me being able to previously play how I'd like to coping with something else - just changing specializations won't do it.

I don't understand what's so difficult to comprehend, I'm proud of you being able to make a bunch of builds to run this content, but it isn't what I personally use.

Granted if Wardicator didn't exist for the past 6 years, I'd be running something else completely and not get attached to how it allowed me to not get melted, but...
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Yeah, the thing is a lot of people see that 25% DR loss and think it means they'll take 25% more damage, when that's actually just cryptic math.

A tank with 120% DR before patch will only take like 800-1.5k more damage through block from a Dino bite after patch with 100% DR.​​
    I actually tested this on PTS before it came out. Copy and paste (this is for a tank, other builds may have other effects).

Old: offense 510.4 (16%), defense 480.2 (113%)
    New: offense 203.9 (7.4%), defense 384.2 (90%)
    For attacks that cannot crit, this is a 7.5% dps loss. For attacks that can crit, it's typically 5.7%.

With 6 stacks defiance, against blue lasers in PH:
    Old: You lose 480 (1500) Fire Damage from Blue Beam.
    New: You lose 513 (1500) Fire Damage from Blue Beam.
    That's taking 33 more damage, or +6.9%.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I did a run of Nemcon today after the patch on a character that used Wardicator and hadn't respecced. Barely noticed a difference.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited July 2018
    Yes, and I have anectodal evidence for my build not being able to do content I was previously able to. Hence my frustration, because the build I play - the abilities I've chosen, along with the passive and specialization, is no longer able to do what it could before.

See the thing is... the numbers people keep posting for the actual numerical difference that the change has brought don't bear that out. You act like you're taking 50% more damage or something, when it's probably less than 10% more. What would help is if you posted some actual numbers, like what your defense was before and after, so we can get out of anecdotal information and into something more concrete.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't heavily change my abilities and passive, but that detracts from me being able to previously play how I'd like to coping with something else - just changing specializations won't do it.

You say "heavily change" but I just don't buy that. I bet the solution is as easy as swapping AoPM out for Invulnerable, and just leave the rest of your build as is.
  • poptartmaniac#8493 poptartmaniac Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    If I may put my 2 cents in, I did some testing before it came out, before the change, with 106% defense, dino did 14k through rank 2 block (this is without a defense passive or dodge) with wardicator, and distinguished, AFTER the change I lost around 20% defense and that bite turned into 17k, essentially, u can still solo tank cosmics and with just my little r2 block with no passive i could do tank it with a soak tank with me.

The raw defense doesnt suffer too much, block however did suffer a bit because of the way things multiplied and whatever, so this change should only be an issue if ur trying to solo tank a cosmic yet it is still possible to do.

As of the aopm thing, i can understand your frustration but im sure you can just switch passives or switch to protector/vindicator or something, and youll be alright, trust me i know it sucks but this change was needed and we have to adapt.

Edit: fixed typos
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I mean, thats with rank 2 block soooo.
    Also, my tank is nerfed and now I cannot play CO anymore. /uninstalling CO tonight. All jokes aside though, there are ways around this "nerf"
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    edited July 2018
    I mean, thats with rank 2 block soooo.
    Also, my tank is nerfed and now I cannot play CO anymore. /uninstalling CO tonight. All jokes aside though, there are ways around this "nerf"

That's what I meant, so if I had a defense passive, that 17k would be a lot less, and i'd still be able to tank dino, I was just proving that it's still VERY possible, and the specs are still viable.

I'm quitting CO too, lost 1% def on my dps D:
    I'm quitting CO too, lost 1% def on my dps D:

I'm quitting CO cause I only had two wardicator toons and neither of them were effected enough that I feel the need to change their specs >:C what a lame nerf
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    When I found out about the infinite loop, my first thought was: "Why wasn't this hotfixed?" So, I am not at all surprised that it is finally getting fixed. In my opinion, it was broken and needed to be fixed.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    I did a run of Nemcon today after the patch on a character that used Wardicator and hadn't respecced. Barely noticed a difference.

Pretty much where my ONE toon that used it is.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    No, it sounds more like a problem that a spec was able to allow me to run a build I pleased and still do OK in harder content, but that's not the case anymore. I like AOPM, and I've found a viable option to run it (considering it isn't a huge damage or defensive boost, which Wardicator to some extent allowed me freedom to build with it.)

This is a problem inherent to any MMO "hard" content when different builds can have dramatically different effectiveness.

"Hard" being dependent on build means any increase in difficulty reduces the margin by which a theme build can compete.

I have had numerous theme builds dependent on a few OP abilities get obsoleted by nerfs.

The solution is better balance and especially, not punishing theme. But the fallacy in Champions' design was that a theme build could fit incredibly narrow 'frameworks.' Recent balance decisions primarily are focused on increased importance of frameworks unfortunately.

The game would be dramatically better if framework made no mechanical difference and synergies were determined through some other method.

Post-F2P COH, with the open incarnate powers, was actually way better to design interesting themes - you had a primary set, secondary set, ancillary set, and 4 incarnates to theme around.

In Champions you essentially have one primary plus some support abilities, many of which come from an optimal list.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I have to admit, when I first looked at the numbers on the tool tip etc (this is after a week away from everything #Vacation), I was somewhat horrified.

But I'm seeing that I'm not having my characters who used this, scream in pain every time something looks their way, so I should be fine.

I do think there will be some adjustment needed in terms of specs on my part...I just need to figure it out.

I think the one that hurt the most...was my AoPM Sorc user. I think my defense dropped a stupid amount, but I can't remember exactly...but I'm sure it's around 30% on tool tip.

I think I'll have to do a bit of playing around before I can settle on something I'm happy with.
    edited July 2018
    The solution is better balance and especially, not punishing theme.

Sometimes I get the feeling that when some people say "theme" they actually mean "shallow building". I feel this way because all my builds are themed, but because their theme isn't skin deep they're still very strong.
    ...but I'm sure it's around 30% on tool tip.

The question is how much actual mitigation you lost. I get the feeling there are a lot of people who are taking about 10% more damage who have actually placebo'd themselves into thinking they're suddenly being destroyed so much faster than before.
    Unless you're getting offense from specs other than the best defense, which is somewhat rare (+offense specs are usually considered weak), cutting the loop will reduce your Defense score by 20%, regardless of build. How significant that is depends on the rest of your build, it's most relevant if you had a large amount of Defense and very little other mitigation, and even then it's not likely to increase your actual damage taken by more than 10%.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I can only speak for myself, but I do think it's mostly the shock of seeing the value "go down", much like when Offense was adjusted to show the actual value it gives or something to that effect ages back, there was a lot of fuss around that.

I think the difference here is that people are actually losing out on something...which, much like old dodge, was "allowed" for a long while until it felt like the norm.

When playing, I think previously I was a little less likely to block something...I just need to block a lot faster on some builds and for others, change around their specs.

I'm relatively adventurous when it comes to specc'ing but...my "issue" is that I don't have straightforward DPS builds who are "gravely affected" by this fix/change.

Most of them are Hybrid Builds. I can relate to what the other poster in the thread is referring to with AoPM and the off/def loop.

I've never been too concerned with Offense, but I always value defense...and seeing such a "huge drop" (probably isn't that much in reality), is somewhat disconcerting.

I enjoy the stat boost AoPM grants me, but I'd now need to be sturdier to achieve what I used to achieve. I think my AoPM user is "suffering" because I'm not specializing in a role, like DPS or Support, so taking an offensive passive will likely have drawbacks I don't want.

At this point...I'll just have to figure out what I want and work from there really.

Once I do some more testing, I'll find out exactly how much defense she has lost.
    edited July 2018
    Any such AoPM build can be fixed by swapping the aura for Invulnerable. Boom, defense, with only a tiny drop in damage. If their energy suffers too much for them to deal with then all they have to do is SS an energy stat.

Honestly for anyone running one of those hybrid AoPM builds... your build was already crap and you should take this change as an opportunity to start running something more modern. AoPM Wardicator hybrids are so 2013.
    Lol, no. I like AoPM period, don't want to swap it out for Invul. It's a damn shame that it was further nerfed (unintentionally) because of this.
    The only reason I'm complaining is in the hopes that others do so too, and end up getting a bit of a buff (Either a boost to Aggressive Stance, perhaps even one more point to pour into it) or just AOPM in general.

In my opinion, any buff to a hybrid spec or such a multi-role ability is nothing but a positive for both build diversity and player enjoyment.

Really, I just hate trinities and having to be in a designated role - too many games have suffered for it.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    In my opinion, any buff to a hybrid spec or such a multi-role ability is nothing but a positive for both build diversity and player enjoyment.

Really, I just hate trinities and having to be in a designated role - too many games have suffered for it.

The thing about Hybrid is that it takes clever building to master. Some things click together nicely with it, others need a lot more work. You can't really ever escape the trinity, not here in CO anyways. What a Hybrid CAN do is quite literally in its namesake. You can put together a setup that works in multiple situations and fills multiple roles. Hybrid is good enough at being a multi-role if the build is properly tuned with specific functions in mind.

I'll take the Hybrid AoPM as an example because it's commonly used improperly. Not directing this at your build in particular. AoPM is a Supportive passive first and foremost, but if it's being placed on a Hybrid bruiser (DPS/Tank) then the build is quite literally fighting against itself. In this situation, taking a Defensive passive or an appropriate Offensive passive will suit the user far better than trying to use something wholly intended for Supportive play.

The take-away is that Hybrids should build for their strengths and still look to fill certain roles. Good Hybrids BECOME the trinity, we never break out of it.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2018
    Well, the hybrid aopm people could try out protector/vindicator or other combinations to see if it works for their builds, wardicator was precisely OP cuz you could easily have multi-role builds with it and be more than good with them while i will miss how good it was the change was needed, but despite that its still the best dual role builds like tank/dps just maybe not for hybrid aopm, however 30% Loss in damage resistance is actuaply a LOT less due to cryptics potato math so i dont think u guys should suffer so much, its mainly an issue in content where u need to block huge spikes like a cosmic entity