test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Electric is nuts, and here's why

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Builds and Roles
So after my earlier poopooing of the changes to electric I finally decided to give it a chance. I've long not liked the powerset because I think it's pretty boring, and even after the changes it didn't look like it became very much more exciting. When I initially tried to make a build with it that could solo in the warzone on my newly minted 40 I kind of stumbled over myself and was like "how do?". Well now I know why I stumbled, and it's because I wasn't looking hard enough at Electric's strengths.

So here's a link to the build.

And here is a video of me using it.
https://youtu.be/y1BFHHTAdas

This turned out to be quite a novel experience. As you can see it involved a lot of just holding block while ball lightning, spark storm, lightning sigils, and the block itself took down everything around me. Not much moving around was required except if a sudden spike necessitated it. At one point the murdercopter even started attacking me just as I began a pull and I was able to finish the pull and then retreat.

So as it turns out, the strength of the Electric set is the ability to deal significant damage while holding block. That's why I called the build the Block'n'Shock.​​
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Yea, the Sparkstorm + block playstyle is nice- its even better now after the revamp. It is a bit of an acquired taste as the plasytyle is different than your normal dps rotation, but once you get used to it, it can be fun.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    this is kinda exactly what I was looking for right now, a way to set things up, then block, and ride through things like it ain't no thing
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The crazy thing is I already had a build very similar to this, with a few differences (Stormbringer passive). So I hopped on it and ran it through the Warzone. This has to be one of the easiest builds I've ever used in the QWZ. I watched Spinny's video a few time for tips. The video points out a few things, especially how to pull around corners. Which really works. My builds also a little tankier. The essential powers IMHO were Ball Lightning (w/triplicity) + Electric Shield (w/Electric Vengeance) +Sparkstorm (Electric Personality) + R3 Storm Sigils.

For me it was a small play style difference that ended up making the dailies much easier: Pretty much drop sigils, pull targets, and block. Pulling around corners is also not a bad tactic.

The build I had is using all R5's basic Merc gear.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I find myself sometimes doing something similar with fire. Drop a flame patch, hold block while waiting for things to burn to death. Repeat as needed. Not great on bosses, but I'm still working on the build.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    What is the source of those constant heals in this video?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    What is the source of those constant heals in this video?

Well, without any specific idea of which heals you mean I would guess it's either the heal over time from a heal pot, or healing from The Rush Of Battle spec from Vindicator
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I just see lots of green numbers, especially around 100 - can electric passive heal get to 100 with a particular statistic?
    Right, the passive does some healing too, that might be what it is.
    Elec Form heals you when hitting targets w/ NI on them, and iirc that was one of the changes in the revamp. It can be pretty nice.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • So I’m really interested in this build does presence boost elec damage ? Just wondering on the SS chosen
    edited August 2018
    Pres will boost dmg here just by being an SS, but not much beyond that. Its innate bonus applies to healing, and not dmg. The main dps stat here is End due to it being an SS and due to Power Source.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    This is what I use for mine; end lightning is really good. I can usually kill WZ mods from range before they even get close enough to hit me, picking off the sorcerers first to get rid of that AORP.

Lightning 3.2
    [NbK]XStorm
    So I’m really interested in this build does presence boost elec damage ? Just wondering on the SS chosen

NOTE: Since you asked this I noticed I did the superstats on the build link wrong. It's actually Endurance Ego/Presence.

I took Presence for a bit of boost to the healing powers. Normally I would have gone with Recovery but this build is such an energy powerhouse already that you basically have a free superstat to put wherever you like - I'm already sitting at 311 equilibrium lol.​​
  • cool I presume the attack rotation would need to change should you do cosmics?
    edited August 2018
    At cosmics you'd be using Ball Lightning on cooldown, and then doing Spark Storm > Lightning arc as a rotation.

Lightning Sigils require some timing.
    - At Ape use them right after you get back to his butt after his aoe.
    - At Dino use them as she is charging up the DPS check.
    - At Kiga use them after a Snowstorm ends, unless you notice that he's gotten into a pattern of using his frost breath soon after the end of snowstorm in which case you'll want to wait for him to do that.

And yes, for full effect you basically play this as a melee build, but it's a flexible build so if there are just way too many melee there at the moment and going into the moshpit would be a pain in the butt you can still do good damage at range.​​
  • Thanks spinnytop looking to maybe get out of my Healer/DPS was looking for something new and fun to play. With 2nd Offense Gear would you get the OV Sniper, Also do you loads point stats into Endurance of Ego
    edited August 2018
    I wouldn't use the Sniper piece with this buiild. Everything goes into Endurance, both to buff your Form and to make it easier to keep your energy near max for the base damage boost.​​
  • Ah ok so probs Cosmic Fang of Wrath then cool
  • could this build do with a self rez like thundering return just incase worst happens? also is having Gigabolt a matter of preference
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Use a fang of wrath w/crit 5 core; it's nice about end also, I've been setting mine up to be able to tank some things as well, because of the dmg types. You can do it, provided the DPS crew keeps on top of their wipes. *Looks at spyro.*
    [NbK]XStorm
    edited August 2018
    could this build do with a self rez like thundering return just incase worst happens? also is having Gigabolt a matter of preference

Gigabolt is really only used as an opening attack and is technically not needed due to how the build resolves encounters, so if you wanted a self rez you could replace that with one and the build would still function largely the same.​​
  • So my gear looks like this for this build

Justice Gloves of Precision - END,END, Lucky Gem, Lucky GEm
    Justice tights of fitness - END, CON, Impact Prism, Impact Prism
    Justice helmet of Efficiency -

Cosmic Fang of Wrath
    Onslaught tights of fitness
    Onslaught tights of Efficiency

looking for recommendation of what mods to slot as im not entirely sure for this build, thanks in advance
    edited August 2018
    Cosmic fang of wrath - slot a crit chance core, or a crit severity core
    fitness and efficiency - um...Endurance? I've never actually had defense and utility OV secondaries so I don't know what kind of mods they slot lol
    Justice Helmet Of Efficienty - Electric damage mod and a cooldown reduction mod​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    fitness and efficiency - um...Endurance? I've never actually had defense and utility OV secondaries so I don't know what kind of mods they slot lol​​
    OV secs all use the same categories. The only differences are the things that only slot in off/def/uti.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • so finally retconned to this build cant wait to try it out
  • so ideal rotation that I can see is set up Sigils > Chain Lighting (to apply debuff), Sparkstorm (toggle), Ball Lighting > Lighting Arc. With Hold thrown in is that about right
    so ideal rotation that I can see is set up Sigils > Chain Lighting (to apply debuff), Sparkstorm (toggle), Ball Lighting > Lighting Arc. With Hold thrown in is that about right

For soloing or cosmics?​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Inspired by this, I retconned my Healer into a Sorcery version. It's soloing attack rotation is very similar, standalone DoTs and hold block. Obviously, it's a lot slower, but still works well.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
    Add me to the list of ones who like this idea/build!
    I am using a slightly modified version, (I like having a rez, and AD or AO) :) I just replaced Gigavolt and Electric Current, otherwise pretty much the same, (Im at work, cant recall if I swapped Pre for Dex to add Crit bonus? sounds like something I'd do) So far his Dmg/survivability is great, only died a couple of times getting to lvl 19, and I think they were both 'Crisis' scenarios. (I have used his heal potion a lot, but almost never need a second one!)

This is the first time I have used the electric sigils, and the toggle/Sparkstorm, I LOVE just holding block and tearing through things that usually munch on my fun but squishy toons!

Question, is anyone else having an issue with Sparkstorm/toggle adv not always working? At least correctly?
    I'm not certain if its an energy thing, or another issue, (I'm almost lvl 20 with him now) but seems like half the time I cant get the Sparkstorm to fire off on the first click? Or perhaps I'm mashing block too quickly, and it is 'cancelling' it before it gets rolling?

OTHERwise, Fun stuff! I look forward to being able to solo the QWZ finally! Thx Spinny,
    (Now off to oogle the Stunning Sorcerer build,). :)
    ragadolf wrote: »
    Question, is anyone else having an issue with Sparkstorm/toggle adv not always working? At least correctly?
    I'm not certain if its an energy thing, or another issue, (I'm almost lvl 20 with him now) but seems like half the time I cant get the Sparkstorm to fire off on the first click? Or perhaps I'm mashing block too quickly, and it is 'cancelling' it before it gets rolling?

That usually happens if you try to click it right after you just clicked another power. There's some sort of weird little delay that happens.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Hitting block immediately after toggling Sparkstorm will tend to cancel Sparkstorm. Power Armour toggles have the same problem.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Lots of powers can be inconveniently canceled by blocking too fast, including some that you wouldn't think are cancelable since they're instant. It's particularly helpful when it cancels a heal, active defense, or threat wipe.
  • ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
    Thx all, I'm glad it wasn't just me!
    :)

I have noticed the cancel-thing on other toons, but not to this degree.

It was just really odd to me, because I have a toon that when doing cosmics it never fails, he is charging up his TK Lance when the time to Block comes, and I swear I'm not done charging the lance, but it fires off w/ a full charge, AND my shield/block is up.

Weird-power-timey-wimey thing probably. :)

Thank you all, (sorry for the necro, and everyone keep up the good work/interesting build posts!)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    ragadolf wrote: »
    It was just really odd to me, because I have a toon that when doing cosmics it never fails, he is charging up his TK Lance when the time to Block comes, and I swear I'm not done charging the lance, but it fires off w/ a full charge, AND my shield/block is up.
    It might not have actually fired. There are powers that still produce visuals after being canceled (humorously, if you block cancel force cascade at exactly the right time, you produce a visible cascade that does knockback but no damage).