test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On the note of the costume slot changes.

Isn't this just going to wind up only slowing down the problem it was made to solve? If the issue was server space, then wouldn't new players joining mean it would just continue happening at a decelerated rate? What then when it becomes a problem again? Additionally, don't we want new players? Honestly, this seems like a weak means of trying to fix the problem. Server space will run out eventually one way or another with this method, won't it?

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Isn't this just going to wind up only slowing down the problem it was made to solve?
    Pretty sure the problem it's meant to solve is having more than 40 costume slots on a single character. The game is probably doing something dumb like preloading all of them when loading a character, and then preloading all characters at the login screen, so 100 characters with 100 costume slots = 10,000 preloaded costumes.
  • Options
    sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User
    Isn't this just going to wind up only slowing down the problem it was made to solve?
    Pretty sure the problem it's meant to solve is having more than 40 costume slots on a single character. The game is probably doing something dumb like preloading all of them when loading a character, and then preloading all characters at the login screen, so 100 characters with 100 costume slots = 10,000 preloaded costumes.

Am I wrong to think preloading isn't really that important? I mean GTA doesn't really have anything preloaded and it's known for having the longest of load times, but the complaints are almost always joking.

Additionally, I still feel like the same issue will arise if more players actually play the game, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Additionally, I still feel like the same issue will arise if more players actually play the game, wouldn't it?
    More players justifies increasing the budget for server power and bandwidth.
  • Options
    folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
    More players justifies increasing the budget for server power and bandwidth.

I assume that the game is sitting at a much lower population then it was designed to carry. If not, that would be extremely surprising. So the presumption that more revenue would be needed to nullify this unconfirmed issue of capping out memory or some such thing rests on the confirmation from the devs that this is indeed the issue. But I just find that highly unlikely based on how absurdly low this games overall player count is. Even if some of the vets had 500 toons each, it would be far less (i'd imagine) then if this game was at it's population peak.
  • Options
    folv#5303 wrote: »
    I assume that the game is sitting at a much lower population then it was designed to carry.
    The game is instanced, and possibly single threaded. It was never designed for more than 100 players per zone, and if they all showed up at a single location, the game has always struggled.
  • Options
    kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    I assume that the game is sitting at a much lower population then it was designed to carry.
    The game is instanced, and possibly single threaded. It was never designed for more than 100 players per zone, and if they all showed up at a single location, the game has always struggled.

True, which is why events are cut back to 50 players per zone.

• Options
    You know what I forgot about? 'dead' accounts. you know, like people who quit, haven't played in several years, etc. Just because the playerbase is low now prooooobably might not be such a good argument considering all of those accounts still exist with characters on board. And if that's the case, I wonder how that would be handled?
  • Options
    folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Players per zone is a much different parameter than the game servers ability to handle "X" amount of created toons, I would guess. (and that's a fairly educated guess). A higher population count would simply demand more instances, as you see in most MMO's. Also, this games population seems to have been receding for several years. So whatever the case may be, the game is sitting at lower numbers than it use to be able to handle at certain points. And planning to scale it even further back in light of this seems like a step in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    This would be noticeable by anyone with a crapload of characters and costume slots. Do people with large numbers of both find that the loading screen is less responsive than if they try to log in with a smaller alt account?

The main way I see too many slots being an issue is if the way costumes are saved goes all the way to maximum potato. As in the costume data is saved in the metadata of jpg files just like our local costume slots, since that would be a significantly larger chunk of data per costume than the ~7k I mentioned in another thread.
    Isn't this just going to wind up only slowing down the problem it was made to solve? If the issue was server space, then wouldn't new players joining mean it would just continue happening at a decelerated rate? What then when it becomes a problem again? Additionally, don't we want new players? Honestly, this seems like a weak means of trying to fix the problem. Server space will run out eventually one way or another with this method, won't it?
    Server space should never technically "run out" because I'm pretty sure the size of available storage technology increases at a much faster rate than the rate at which a game as old as CO acquires new players who actually invest in enough character slots and costume slots to make a difference.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

Am I wrong to think preloading isn't really that important? I mean GTA doesn't really have anything preloaded and it's known for having the longest of load times, but the complaints are almost always joking.

You might be wrong about the preloading. Due to me having 182 character slots (with 176 of them filled with toons), and I have 116 costume slots. It takes me a few minutes to load into the character select screen, and this is compared to when I had only a handful of characters and costumes and laoding into the character select sceen took at most 10 seconds. And that is if I do not time out loading the character select screen. This is even more apparent when I haven't played the game in a few weeks. And no, I do not have a crappy internet connection. I have a connection that once in game, I basically never feel lag, compared to most people that complain about the lag. Now, either they changed the way logging in worked while I wasn't paying attention, or, the game does indeed preload characters and their costumes.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    The main way I see too many slots being an issue is if the way costumes are saved goes all the way to maximum potato.

You should offer to do all of Cryptic's programming for them, since you're such an expert on the topic and clearly way less "potato" than any of them are.
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »
    You might be wrong about the preloading. Due to me having 182 character slots (with 176 of them filled with toons), and I have 116 costume slots.
    For comparison, I have 40 slots and 25 alts, and only 9 slots per toon, a number of which are empty, and it takes me a couple seconds. On pts, where I have 5 alts at the moment, it's noticeably faster.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Yeah, same with what Panta is seeing. The load of the character select on live with about 20 characters, and about 20 costumes/character takes about 30 seconds or so, but on PTS with just 4 characters it's under 5 seconds.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    kyastral wrote: »
    True, which is why events are cut back to 50 players per zone.
    And why MI and Canada got recently cutback to 35 indefinitely. The Server was bogging down during Cosmic fights.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Wonder how much player wide lockbox messages and crappy purple skies bog the servers down
  • Options
    Wonder how much player wide lockbox messages and crappy purple skies bog the servers down
    Player wide lockboxes bog the servers down by about the same amount as any other global message, so nothing significant. Purple skies bog down the client, they probably don't do anything at all to the server once they've been downloaded once.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Maybe it's time to do something about dead accounts, the ones that haven't been played for years. I'm sure there are many more accounts that haven't been played in over 3 years than there are actual active or semi-active accounts.

Perhaps a significant amount of server space could be made available by a vast, Stalin-like purge of these (after an email to warn them, plenty of time in advance), excluding non-active LTS or continuing-to-subscribe Gold accounts.... for obvious reasons.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    And then next all the Lemurians in MC!!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Followed by demolishing Caprice..... also for public health reasons.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »
    You might be wrong about the preloading. Due to me having 182 character slots (with 176 of them filled with toons), and I have 116 costume slots.
    For comparison, I have 40 slots and 25 alts, and only 9 slots per toon, a number of which are empty, and it takes me a couple seconds. On pts, where I have 5 alts at the moment, it's noticeably faster.

Yeah, I also noticed that when I log onto the pts it is rather quick, due to having one toon there.
  • Options
    Considering that having a lot of costume pieces bogs down the tailor, I think that the same principle works for characters. It's not so much a connection having to load all those characters, but rather your hardware having to deal with it. To me anyway.
  • Options
    Considering that having a lot of costume pieces bogs down the tailor, I think that the same principle works for characters. It's not so much a connection having to load all those characters, but rather your hardware having to deal with it. To me anyway.

Agreed, I even have some problems with looking at all my costumes in the tailor in basically the same way I have problems with loading into the character select screen.