test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who are the oldest race in Champions?

Hello i have a question, I have made a character name Centurion who is a 12 foot tall robot who in 1938 was constructed with a unique alloy inside of it's shell.
I decide to call it Centium for reasons for it's origin to be from space and i was wondering if there are any ancient old races that can fit into his category origin story to be tied into official lore?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Hoo-boy, are there! I will elaborate momentarily, but just for the record, the PnP source book, Champions Beyond, goes into very extensive detail on known alien races of the Milky Way Galaxy and beyond, both living and extinct. And that last point highlights the parameters of my possible responses to your question: How old do you want this race to be? And do you want to be able to interact with any of them today?

Among races that are still "living," i.e. have a population that continues to reproduce, build, learn, etc., the oldest are the Odrugarans, patrons of the Champions Universe's analogue to the Green Lantern Corps, known as the Star*Guard. They were traveling in space at least a million Terrestrial years ago. The Odrugarans are extremely advanced technologically, but the Malvans have the most advanced technology in the galaxy, a recorded history stretching back over 800,000 years, and at one time ruled half the Milky Way, but today are greatly declined. There are a few other space-faring civilizations with histories ranging from 100,000 - 1 million years.

Several other advanced alien races are noted as having been active between 3.5 - 5 million years in the past, but are no longer living as defined above. The most advanced of these were the Kelvarans. Although technically extinct, a few Kelvarans transcended their physical forms to become immortal beings of pure energy. They continue to engage in experiments to promote the rise of sapient life in the galaxy, under the name of the Progenitors. The proto-human species of Earth were among the subjects of Progenitor experiments.

A very few races and beings in the galaxy may be even older than any of the above, but their origins and natures are more mysterious. The only one in that category for which we have confirmed dates lived, interestingly enough, on Mars. These "Martians" possessed interstellar-level technology roughly 1.5 billion years ago.

That's a very superficial survey of the possibilities. More info on any of the above available upon request. :)
  • numaman1990numaman1990 Posts: 205 Arc User
    I had a feeling The Progenitors can be the source behind the Centium being created and accidentally sent to earth after they left to experiment on other life on the cosmos.
    It would've be a type of alloy that is softer than titanium and can allow the user to absorb and redirect the impact back as kinetic energy.
    I don't see a problem with that. The last known occasion the Progenitors visited Earth was around half a million years ago, when their experiments produced the ageless superhuman offshoot of humanity called the Empyreans. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have dropped by covertly since, to check on the progress of their project. And the Empyreans use devices left behind by the Progenitors to hide their secret city/valley of Arcadia from outside detection, and to give it a livable climate in the midst of Antarctica; so other bits might have been overlooked.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    So are the giant robot things called "Empyrean Constructs" in CO built using tech based on Progenitor tech?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Yes and no. The Empyreans learned science under the tutelage of the Progenitors until they departed this planet, but while their knowledge remains among the most sophisticated on Earth, it's nowhere near that of their creators. The Progenitors took with them all the devices that the Empyreans hadn't built themselves, except for Arcadia's protective screens. (Preceding summarized from Hidden Lands.)

I should also note that the old Champions Online Wiki called the Empyrean Constructs "magical," but that doesn't jibe with the PnP lore. While it certainly isn't impossible that some Empyreans could have learned magic, as a society they don't use it in any significant way, and never have.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    What you say makes sense with the theme of the attacks the constructs use. they're tech themed.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    While the Empyreans have such advanced devices as servitor robots handling mundane tasks, the description of their city of Arcadia doesn't go into much detail about their technology. Which makes sense when you consider that they're all superhuman. No need for a transit system when everyone can fly. All of them being super-strong makes many tools and vehicles irrelevant. The frequency of telepathic abilities among Empyreans would cover most communication. And being ageless, immune to disease, and highly resistant to injury, would leave few occasions for medical assistance.