test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone make a Cosmic Tank build guide?

redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
We have nice stickied guides for DPS, Healers, and CC. But no Tank guide. Can someone experienced at Tanks make one? I'm thinking of making a tank for my next char. Would be a big help to get some information on which Def Passives or actives work well. Stat suggestions. How aggro works with the Mods that increase threat, Etc. Types of Tank. Main tank, OffTank, Soak Tank. Baby Tank. DR v Dodge based tanks

Also, specific things needed if you want to be a dog puller, or other tanking roles other than basic generate lots of aggro and stat alive.

Probably my biggest questions would be is it possible to be a Cosmic tank without having to get lots of very specific gear/mods that will likely cost $$ or lots of grind time. (r9 confronts, Drifter devices) I dont dump a lot of cash into the game, so wont even bother if its a lost cause without R9s, Drifter devices, etc.

Finally, for AT chars, is there any hope of being a tank. ie, any AT can be part of the Mob that does damage. Any AT with healing can help heal the crowd. But No AT could be a decent CC for dogs, orbs, hearts (I dont think). Could an AT manage to tank cosmics, or are the AT's too hamstrung to tank effectively. (the lack of major self healing on most seems to be the biggest issue)

Thanks

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    If you check the sticked power guides megathread there's two tanking guides in the 'combat mechanics' subsection.

It's perfectly possible to tank a cosmic with an AT; self-healing is not a requirement for cosmic tanking. I recommend the Behemoth or the Rockstar; while ranged tanking is possible you'd want to design a bit differently than the ATs, and the master is getting into dodge tanking, which is an 'only for advanced users and tricky even then' situation.
  • redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Took a look at the guides. They have some good mechanic info, but missing some key info. (defiance vs invulnerability based builds, etc) So a little more detail on building a tank would be good.

If I went AT I was thinking the Glacier both because
    • I have one leveled to 40 already (yes I am lazy)
    • Between the kiga mods and the icy threat ones, can generate aggro a little cheaper maybe
    • Ice cage w/subzero cell block for interrupt on dogs? Will that work?
    That said, rockstar could work also.

In general just thinking ahead to after june 7. I expect a lot less FF chars, which means Tank roles may be harder to fill for cosmic content.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    If I went AT I was thinking the Glacier both because
    • I have one leveled to 40 already (yes I am lazy)
    • Between the kiga mods and the icy threat ones, can generate aggro a little cheaper maybe
    • Ice cage w/subzero cell block for interrupt on dogs? Will that work?
    The problem is that a lot of threat is based on damage, and it's hard to generate a lot of damage with a glacier, particularly since it's hard to proc concentration against a cosmic (you won't be 20' away, so you need fairly extended charge or maintain times. You definitely won't have enough time for a half maintain of avalanche, and while half charges of ice blast are possible, ice blast has cruddy dps). Ice cage w/subzero cellblock does work on dogs.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    The Glacier can do a bit of dps while blocking via Ice Cage's DoT, but its not that much. I guess you could also try a Shatter build using Chill from blocking, but I don't imagine that to be very strong either, and neither attack can proc Conc if the boss is up-close (and taking Shatter means no icy Embrace).

I guess if you had to block often w/ the Glacier, ideally you'd get at least one half-charge of Ice Blast in just enough to keep Conc stacked, and otherwise can tap/pulse Avalanche to get a few ticks of its higher dps in. Even then, the tricky part may be building to 8 stacks fast enough while still holding aggro, and then not having Conc drop off.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Glacier works fine as a cosmic tank, at least as long as you get R7 Confront and Onslaught Gloves of Defense. Imo, the best way to gain aggro as this AT is to half-charge Ice Blasts inbetween the the incoming attacks, and popping Shatters when you get 3 Chill stacks. Here's the thing: not only does it increase your damage, but there's also a difference between Challenge on targetted attacks and PBAoEs. Basically, those are 2 different debuffs that stack, which result in you getting even more threat generation. Kind of convenient, isn't it?

Ideally you want to gain 80% DR on both Invulnerability and your own natural defense you're getting from gear and stats, because cosmics hit fairly hard.

I have a heroics-clad Glacier that can tank Qwyjibo and Dinosaurus fairly well, however he can't tank Kiga, because Kiga means that you have to attack mostly, take hits to the face and be healed up all the time. With Heroics I got 64% natural resistance and 75% resistance from Invuln which is clearly not enough to take on the Big Frosty, so you want to get Justice gear.

Also, energy might be a problem with Glacier since you're dumping Icy Embrace for Shatter, so blocking attacks to fuel your fire is the best idea. You might as well pre-stack your Concentration to get some initial energy for the fight as well as a full damage bonus your buff form grants. This is done by targetting someone more than 25 feet away and using Shatter. Can be done with either friendly or enemies.

All in all, Glacier is doable, but you'll need to work on it. Don't expect to steal aggro from FF tanks, since they're always better, but expect to hold your aggro when you're the only tank around.
  • ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
    That's how I'd build it:

Glacier the Cosmic/TA tank Tank
    v3.11:30

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Powers
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Hard Frost, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Ice Cage (Sub-Zero Cellblock)
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Frost Breath (Frost Bite, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Ice Sheath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 21: Ice Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 25: Shatter (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 30: Unbreakable (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Ice Barrier
    Level 40: Avalanche (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Scorching Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ice Slide

Specializations
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Tough (2/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)