test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Release Notes 5/24/2018

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,090 Cryptic Developer
Circus Malvanum
This event will be running this week!
  • Added Triple Strap belt costume to the store.

Forum Malvanum
  • Added Malvan Shield bracer, Lion Shield, and Lion Shield bracer as possible costume drops.

Nemesis
  • Added Bladed Mecha Wings costume.
​​

Comments

• Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    Any comment on cutscenes, etc for Save the Earth?​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    They said they will come the next time it comes around.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    nbkxs wrote: »
    They said they will come the next time it comes around.

Probably true, if I do a search. Was hoping it was in this batch of patching + notes.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Circus Malvanum

Forum Malvanum
    • Added Malvan Shield bracer, Lion Shield, and Lion Shield bracer as possible costume drops.

​​

Will freak out in joy if this is exactly what I'm thinking it is! MORE SHIELDS! <3
    HOPEFULLY these scale properly with the sliders, instead of makin' 'em look like toothpicks (Mechassassin's Shield Bracer). D:l
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Forum Malvanum

Added Malvan Shield bracer, Lion Shield, and Lion Shield bracer as possible costume drops.

How possible?
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Will freak out in joy if this is exactly what I'm thinking it is! MORE SHIELDS! <3
    HOPEFULLY these scale properly with the sliders, instead of makin' 'em look like toothpicks (Mechassassin's Shield Bracer). D:l

They are smol shields. Size-wise the same as the Golden Age insignia shields we already have.

It's nice to have new shield models, but I was hoping for larger Shield models for the bracer tailor category :(

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Malvan_Shields.png
    Yeah, the bracer shields are really quite... ˢᵐᵒᶫ
    Nevertheless MORE FIGGIN SHIELDS, HALLELUJAH!
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I wonder why they have to be so small. That's something that looks like it should be okay if it was big since it scales with the body part it's attached to.
  • Options
    jeeb51jeeb51 Posts: 78 Arc User
    shields arent bad, just wish we could use them in a sword & shield AT... *hint hint hint* have them for more than just costume pieces, have full sized shields appear when in battle from the bracer.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Man. Some pretty nice costumes locked behind the most boring, time-consuming content in the game. That's frustrating.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Yeah I don’t get why the bracer part can’t be the same size as the back piece…
  • Options
    jeeb51 wrote: »
    shields arent bad, just wish we could use them in a sword & shield AT... *hint hint hint* have them for more than just costume pieces, have full sized shields appear when in battle from the bracer.

Not gonna happen anytime soon, even if you do type *hint hint hint* Mr J.
  • Options
    also the super generic "clip" that the shield is attached with... guess they only got the actual shield from the modeler and at the last minute realized it needed to be attached with something ;-;
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    What the heck are those bracer shields suppose to protect? It would be ok if the toon using it generates a barrier like Fire Shield/Energy Shield, but alone it's just so minuscule. Devs should really think about this costumes rather than just winging it...

Why not make the bracer shields similar to Mechassassin's Shield? It's the appropriate size.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    also the super generic "clip" that the shield is attached with... guess they only got the actual shield from the modeler and at the last minute realized it needed to be attached with something ;-;

True. Shame they couldn't have continued the design on the strap bit.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    Those small bracer shields are called "Bucklers", they're used in older-style fencing alot. The Scots have their own slightly different model called a "Targe" They're real world things guys and they are meant to be that dinner-plate size. :) the lion one looks quite nice.

• Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    xparibax wrote: »
    Those small bracer shields are called "Bucklers", they're used in older-style fencing alot. The Scots have their own slightly different model called a "Targe" They're real world things guys and they are meant to be that dinner-plate size. :) the lion one looks quite nice.

We want "Shields" not "Bucklers"! This ain't Dark Souls, Bucklers have no power here or parry skills! ;-;
    Really though, was strongly hoping that they would be the size of the block powers shields. (Electric Shield, Force Shield, Eldritch Shield, Even Energy Shield!)
    Post edited by gentlegiantvexx on
  • Options
    besides, on vexx's arms, a buckler looks like a quarter​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I'd settle for Captain America shield size..... with better straps than the thick girder of metal we have atm.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options

Yeah but there's a big version right on the guy's back in the picture o3o is there some historical reason that a man would have tiny shields on his arms and a big shield on his back?
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    What we need now are tower shields ;) Something that covers your entire body.
    What the heck are those bracer shields suppose to protect? It would be ok if the toon using it generates a barrier like Fire Shield/Energy Shield, but alone it's just so minuscule. Devs should really think about this costumes rather than just winging it...

Why not make the bracer shields similar to Mechassassin's Shield? It's the appropriate size.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Well, there's always standing behind Vexx or any of the other giant tanks. They usually make good tower shields, especially the puppy.
  • Options
    Tower shields are those oblong/rectangular ones about as big as you are. they're meant for formation fighting, to lock together with weapons [ spears, swords] sticking out near the tops. the Romans used them extensively. A kite shield is a teardrop shape broadening into the more traditonal shield shape- those saw a lot of use in the middle ages europe. A round shield- like the lion shield, was a style commonly used by norse raiders. you could hang them on the side of a longship, a horse or over your back when not in use. As to that picture, thats someone saving space by showing all tthe position options at once [ arms/back] as an example. you... wouldnt use them together, no. :P

• Options
    Even better the statues during the FM alert are wearing them on their left hand...super sized
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I have to agree with the complaints, those shields bracers are way too small, really disappointing
    and knowing from the already existing bracer shields from Z-store, they are just going to grow into an Oval shape with the sliders

Really not in the mood to farm Forum Malvanum, i grew to loathe this alert with the stupid cutscene spam and the broken timers that require DPS speedrace
    Circus Malvanum
    This event will be running this week!
    Added Triple Strap belt costume to the store.
    Hooray... more belts...
    Perfect for Bondage and JRPG characters designed by Tetsuya Nomura :\​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    And to hold in that gut...but nothing says forcing slaves to fight to the death like a leather strap to remind the oppressed of the bondage and inescapable predicament they are in....

I mean...yay! Costumes!
  • Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User

Yeah but there's a big version right on the guy's back in the picture o3o is there some historical reason that a man would have tiny shields on his arms and a big shield on his back?

Maybe he wanted to be a turtle real bad?
  • Options
  • Options
    ^ reptile animal pack for the win.
  • Options
    Can we have Spartacus costume set? :D

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Note: In his fight with Thanos in Infinity War Iron Man uses a high tech tower shield, so we have precedent for it in the genre.
    Tower shields are those oblong/rectangular ones about as big as you are. they're meant for formation fighting, to lock together with weapons [ spears, swords] sticking out near the tops. the Romans used them extensively. A kite shield is a teardrop shape broadening into the more traditonal shield shape- those saw a lot of use in the middle ages europe. A round shield- like the lion shield, was a style commonly used by norse raiders. you could hang them on the side of a longship, a horse or over your back when not in use. As to that picture, thats someone saving space by showing all tthe position options at once [ arms/back] as an example. you... wouldnt use them together, no. :P

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    If we ever get bigger shields than the smol ones we have atm (I'm discounting Mechassassin's here), I would hope we start with something more in the medium sized range rather than going straight to the opposite extreme with full body shields.

That'd be kind of silly.
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    It almost sounds like you suggested this before....before it was ever a piece.....NAW!!! That couldn’t be..
  • Options
    Note: In his fight with Thanos in Infinity War Iron Man uses a high tech tower shield, so we have precedent for it in the genre.

Well we already have high tech shields in power armor set o3o
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User

"Avoiding lawsuit from Disney" is the only historical reason that pops to mind in this case.
  • Options

"Avoiding lawsuit from Disney" is the only historical reason that pops to mind in this case.

Disney don't own the rights to shield sizes though. That would be a silly reason.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Wow, I can't believe that Disney invented Shields :open_mouth::grimace:​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    He might be on to something, Disney is pretty vicious about that kind of stuff and they have been around for a long time... I mean, can we prove it wasn't the Disney tribe that first invented shields? Walt Disney could have been the founding king of the Spartans, it would explain his frozen head.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    He might be on to something, Disney is pretty vicious about that kind of stuff and they have been around for a long time... I mean, can we prove it wasn't the Disney tribe that first invented shields? Walt Disney could have been the founding kind of the Spartans, it would explain his frozen head.

The jokes .. . forcing myself . . . to keep them in.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    He might be on to something, Disney is pretty vicious about that kind of stuff and they have been around for a long time... I mean, can we prove it wasn't the Disney tribe that first invented shields? Walt Disney could have been the founding kind of the Spartans, it would explain his frozen head.
    The jokes .. . forcing myself . . . to keep them in.
    Just.... Let it go. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User

Capture.PNG
    Or riot shields
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • Options
    duke3eyeduke3eye Posts: 22 Arc User
    Any patch notes for 5/31? Or is it just a restart and removal of the FM event? Inquiring minds and all that..
  • Options
    duke3eye wrote: »
    Any patch notes for 5/31? Or is it just a restart and removal of the FM event? Inquiring minds and all that..

Maintenance was moved from Thursday to Friday this week.

zrdRBy8.png