test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Healing factor origins?

Along Champions Universe, is there an item/formula that gives the user a healing factor (or something similar)? I know there's the Necrullitic Elixir, but I'm trying to avoid mystical origins for now.

@bulgarex do you know something about it? :)

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Well, if you mean, is there a single something that if anyone gets it, they'll heal like Wolverine? The closest officially defined thing to that of which I'm aware is Ripper's Omicron chemicals, which greatly accelerate his healing while they're being infused into his body. But those chemicals also contribute to Ripper's mental instability.

But certainly there are official characters who have or have gained a similar ability through one method or another -- mutation, enchantment, genetic engineering, tech implants, accidental exposure, etc. A little more info about the background and abilities you want for your character, might suggest a setting-based route to get there.
  • brfabeirasbrfabeiras Posts: 182 Arc User
    My character's name is Coyote. He has claws and a healing factor, and I was thinking about an accidental exposure, maybe?

How about the Feline Metabolic Serum, created by Overbrain? A healing factor could be a reasonable unknown side effect?
    edited May 2018
    brfabeiras wrote: »
    My character's name is Coyote. He has claws and a healing factor, and I was thinking about an accidental exposure, maybe?

How about the Feline Metabolic Serum, created by Overbrain? A healing factor could be a reasonable unknown side effect?

Is "Feline Metabolic Serum" mentioned somewhere in Champions Online? PnP Lynx, of the Overbrain's team, the Brain Trust, gained her catgirl form through genetic surgery by the Overbrain; and her CO Wiki entry lists the same origin.

So many supers have gained an incredible spectrum of abilities due to "accidental exposure" to something or other. But your suggestion of a "serum" has given me a thought. It's pretty late where I am -- let me stew on this a bit and get back to you. :)
    Claws and healing would be ridiculously easy for Teleios.

Absolutely. Other geneticists in the setting could pull it off too, such as Overbrain, Dr. Destroyer, or Dr. Moreau.

Another Brain Trust member, Mr. Zombie, was actually a corpse before some of the residual chemicals from Overbrain's experiments leeched into the graveyard where he was buried. The Millennium City-based supervillain Freakshow gained his powers from falling into a pool of illegally-dumped industrial chemicals. Those examples certainly suggest mechanisms by which someone could be accidentally exposed to a mutagen.
    edited May 2018
    Claws and healing would be ridiculously easy for Teleios.

That could be an option, too. I'll read more about him.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Is "Feline Metabolic Serum" mentioned somewhere in Champions Online? PnP Lynx, of the Overbrain's team, the Brain Trust, gained her catgirl form through genetic surgery by the Overbrain; and her CO Wiki entry lists the same origin.

So many supers have gained an incredible spectrum of abilities due to "accidental exposure" to something or other. But your suggestion of a "serum" has given me a thought. It's pretty late where I am -- let me stew on this a bit and get back to you. :)

The Feline Metabolic Serum is a device that gives you rank 1 Acrobatics and +3.3% dodge chance. I'm starting to enjoy this serum ideia :)

Thanks for the help so far, guys!
    edited May 2018
    brfabeiras wrote: »
    The Feline Metabolic Serum is a device that gives you rank 1 Acrobatics and +3.3% dodge chance. I'm starting to enjoy this serum idea :)

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

Ah, okay, just a gimmick to justify an in-game effect. Got it.

All right, here's my thought process. There's an official villain calling himself Fenris, a biologist obsessed with the werewolf legend. He developed a serum to permanently imbue some of the genetic characteristics of a wolf into himself: heightened strength, speed, and senses. Fenris also heals at a greatly accelerated rate. He didn't gain animalistic natural weapons such as fangs or claws, but incorporated artificial claws into his costume. Unfortunately the serum also made him more bestially ferocious, and those instincts are growing stronger. Fenris fears that one day they'll take complete control of him, so he researches ways to reinforce his human intellect.

Fenris has teamed up with a couple of other villains of similar powers and mindset. Wildeye is a mutant of bloodthirsty disposition, physical attributes similar to Fenris's, and actual fangs and claws. Fenris respects Wildeye, but he idolizes the werewolf called Black Fang (a different character from the Black Fang appearing in CO in Vibora Bay). This Black Fang is a true supernatural lycanthrope, powerful, murderous, with deadly natural weapons, and able to heal even from apparent death.

I could see Fenris acquiring tissue samples from both Black Fang and Wildeye to study, to attempt to bestow their superior abilities on himself. That plus his attempts to strengthen his self-control, could produce an experimental "serum" to give your character the qualities you desire.

Now it's just a matter of deciding how you would want the serum delivered. The lore has multiple precedents for the accidental exposure you suggested: contact with contaminants from apparently-failed experiments, as described above; or having it spilled onto your character, or falling into a vat of the stuff. Fallout from a battle is the commonest comic-book way for the latter to happen. Your character could be a law-enforcement officer confronting Fenris in his lab, or an innocent bystander caught in the middle of the fight. Or he could be someone Fenris kidnapped to test his new serum on; maybe a random subject, or someone who happens to have the ideal genetic factors.

(All of the villains mentioned above are fully written up in Champions Villains Vol. 3: Solo Villains.

Does that work for you? Or should we try a different tack?
    That's more than enough for me, thanks again @bulgarex !

My character (before gaining his powers) worked as delivery guy for Darren's Pizza, I guess a random encounter with Fenris during a delivery, resulting on kidnapping/test subject will work just fine. :)
    Just finished the core of Coyote's bio. For those interested: http://primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Coyote_(Lawson)

I'll be adding more stuff soon, I hope. :)