What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Avengers Infinity Wars

2»

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    And three on one
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    My issue was how Star Lord was made into a douche.

Like he was just a joke the entire time
    Did you not see Guardians of the Galaxy? And how "Star-Lord" was regarded by, well, pretty much everybody? Or how he acted around Gamora in the second one, especially when Mantis revealed how he really felt?

The characterization was dead on.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Star Lord was a douche in GotG. Star Lord was a douche in GotG 2. The pattern seems consistent.
    Tony Stark is a douche bag to, but I guess the word I should’ve used as they made him seem incompetent. It was just a ongoing joke that he was this nobody
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    At least he's going to get a Bowflex and work out now!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I thought Bruce Banner was the comedy relief in this movie
    Tony Stark is a douche bag to, but I guess the word I should’ve used as they made him seem incompetent. It was just a ongoing joke that he was this nobody
    You mean like his running gag in GotG? Heck, the only reason he was anybody in GotG2 was because of his father - they weren't even being hunted in the beginning because of Peter, but rather because Rocket stole something very valuable.

Again, seems pretty consistent - he wants to be this big deal across the galaxy, but it's a pretty big galaxy and nobody's really heard of him, or cared.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    You mean like his running gag in GotG? Heck, the only reason he was anybody in GotG2 was because of his father - they weren't even being hunted in the beginning because of Peter, but rather because Rocket stole something very valuable.

Again, seems pretty consistent - he wants to be this big deal across the galaxy, but it's a pretty big galaxy and nobody's really heard of him, or cared.

Quill is pretty much a giant douche in the comics as far as I can remember...the only reason to love him in the movies is because who doesn't love chris pratt?

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    diggot wrote: »
    I liked the movie.. mostly.

What really pissed me of what that Scarlet and Vision got spanked by Corvus and Proxima,
    but for some idiotic reason, Widow could hold her own against Proxima... which is utter BS.

Widow is nothing but an ordinary woman trained in spytactics, martial arts and weapons..
    Proxima has superstrength, master tactician and an expert in combat.

So when Widow holds her own against an enemy that is BY FAR stronger in everyway.. i call BS.

Also... having Proxima dying like she did.. what a FKing waste of a good character !.

It's a long-standing tradition in comics that human fighters with enough skill can survive encounters with much stronger foes, at least briefly. Skill-wise I don't think Proxima surpassed Widow. But Widow only faced Proxima for a few seconds, and that was while double-teaming with Cap or Okoye. And it still took a third party horning in on each fight to knock Proxima off her pins.

Corvus Glaive literally stabbed Vision in the back from behind -- he was seriously wounded for the whole fight. He also mentioned that Glaive's weapon kept him from phasing, so the Black Order likely were prepared to counter the abilities of an Infinity Stone wielder. Wanda has tremendous power, but her body is still only human. And her power also derives from a Stone.
    Post edited by bulgarex on

Like he was just a joke the entire time

IIRC he mentioned to Thanos that their attack plan was his idea.

Now Drax, there's a character who's become little more than a joke. Where's the terrifying Destroyer? He's been absent since the first GotG movie.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    I saw it yesterday and am also pretty impressed I lasted a whole week without seeing any spoilers!

I loved the movie and only have one minor grip that seems to have not been addressed here.
    So Pete's plan was to suck the badguy out into outerspace? That seems a bit dark for a guy like Spider-Man.

I think this was more a case of the Directors falling under Non-Human Induced Apathy in that the character's "I am against killing people" doesn't extend to aliens since they are not human people.
    #AlienLivesMatter
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    God bless moms, especially ones who collected Superman books as a kid. :) Finally saw it today, because I'm spoiled by the luxury electric recliner theater, but it was sold out for two weeks because everybody's spoiled by the luxury electric recliners.

I'm amazed by how fearless Marvel can be now. No more "Is this too comic bookish?" questions when they really want to embrace the source material. (Although I expected Thanos to stay weird with the Reality Stone after that scene in Knowhere.)
    lezard21 wrote: »
    And yeah, the movie wasn't very subtle with the whole "everyone will revive next movie" thing cause Dr. Strange basically spelled it out twice and the audience will have a year to ponder and rewatch the movie so that even the slowest watcher might catch the drift.
    You mean Chekhov's Gun 1 of 14,000,605 Possible Futures? I'm betting Strange has more whammies on the Time Stone than just a ward of protection.

Who's left? Cap, Thor, Widow, Rhodey, Rocket, Banner (with or without Hulk). They wouldn't mention Hawkeye and Ant-Man specifically just to smoke them off-screen. Unless they have a stunner of a twist in their movie, Wasp should come along with Ant-Man. Carol's coming. (And I'll admit to a small *squee* when her symbol appeared on Fury's pager.) Stark and Nebula have to get back to Earth from Titan somehow, but that will probably be a B-plot full of venomous snarky dialogue for most of the film. Wakanda is a wide-open mess, between M'Baku, Okoye, and whatever might have happened to Shuri and Nakia. And what happened to Wong? They kinda forgot about him after he returned to the Sanctum.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    You mean Chekhov's Gun 1 of 14,000,605 Possible Futures? I'm betting Strange has more whammies on the Time Stone than just a ward of protection.

Who's left? Cap, Thor, Widow, Rhodey, Rocket, Banner (with or without Hulk). They wouldn't mention Hawkeye and Ant-Man specifically just to smoke them off-screen. Unless they have a stunner of a twist in their movie, Wasp should come along with Ant-Man. Carol's coming. (And I'll admit to a small *squee* when her symbol appeared on Fury's pager.) Stark and Nebula have to get back to Earth from Titan somehow, but that will probably be a B-plot full of venomous snarky dialogue for most of the film. Wakanda is a wide-open mess, between M'Baku, Okoye, and whatever might have happened to Shuri and Nakia. And what happened to Wong? They kinda forgot about him after he returned to the Sanctum.
    Not to mention the Netflix series, and Agents of SHIELD - they all take place in the same universe. Maybe this is when Power Man and Jessica Jones get called up to the big leagues...

(Spoiler-tagged because otherwise it pretty clear what you're trying to spoiler-tag in there.)

And no, Spinny, you're not.

Not to mention the Netflix series, and Agents of SHIELD - they all take place in the same universe. Maybe this is when Power Man and Jessica Jones get called up to the big leagues...

(Spoiler-tagged because otherwise it pretty clear what you're trying to spoiler-tag in there.)

This has a nice, non-spoliery answer: It would be nice if the movies, TV, and streaming series all had more robust connections than Sif showing up on AoS that one time, but I think the problems are rooted more in logistics and project management than writing and continuity. Marvel Studios has enough on its hands juggling three or four interconnected movies a year — with a huge cast working on other projects in between — without having to also coordinate with ABC and Netflix. Heck, they’re even punting on the movies a bit: Ant-Man and The Wasp is said to be set back in the same timeframe as Spider-Man: Homecoming to avoid the implications of the Infinity War while still filling time between A:IW and Captain Marvel.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

And no, Spinny, you're not.

The episodes of SHIELD on 5/4 and 5/11 referenced Infinity Wars already.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited May 2018

This has a nice, non-spoliery answer: It would be nice if the movies, TV, and streaming series all had more robust connections than Sif showing up on AoS that one time, but I think the problems are rooted more in logistics and project management than writing and continuity. Marvel Studios has enough on its hands juggling three or four interconnected movies a year — with a huge cast working on other projects in between — without having to also coordinate with ABC and Netflix. Heck, they’re even punting on the movies a bit: Ant-Man and The Wasp is said to be set back in the same timeframe as Spider-Man: Homecoming to avoid the implications of the Infinity War while still filling time between A:IW and Captain Marvel.

There is another reason for the schism between the Marvel television and movie departments: the antipathy between Kevin Feige and Ike Perlmutter. Perlmutter used to oversee all the Marvel properties for Disney, and Feige reported to him. But Ike is a notorious budgetary skinflint, and conflicts with him led Feige to demand that he report directly to Ike's boss instead. But Perlmutter still controls the Marvel TV properties, independent of Kevin's jurisdiction over film production.
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    I just wish they could stop with the whole SJW-thing in all movies. Black Widow already stated herself in Ultron that she and Hawkeye are out of their league in these fights. Ye Widow takes on supervillains in every movie.. I call BS.
    Widow shouldn't have had a chance in blue sky against Proxima
    When Spiderboy held back Thanos's hand, THAT was a serious joke.. Thanos manhandled Hulk, so now Spiderboy is stronger than hulk ?..
    Wait, you want consistency of power levels in a superhero story?

:p:p:p

Those sorts of inconsistencies have appeared in all Marvel and DC comics I've read going back to the mid 1980s. It's part of the genre.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited May 2018
    Weaker characters take on tougher opponents in comic books all the time and often come out on top. Batman is a character whose entire time spent on the justice league it doing exactly that, using wits, technology, and tactics to beat tougher enemies. Why shouldn't Black Widow be able to do just that this one time vs a character hardly anyone has ever head of? What are Proxima's powers? Where did she come from? I don't think it was ever explained on screen...

In the comic books Spider-Man has gone up against the likes of the hulk, juggernaut, and many more insanely strong characters...last I paid attention to such things it was written somewhere that Spider-Man could lift about 10 tons.. sure Thanos is way stronger but I don't recall it ever being a one on one fight...and if that did happen Thanos could simply have been toying with him.

Yes, in fact, Spider-Man's strength canonically is very nearly on a level with the Hulk's. Writers tend to focus on the acrobatics and forget the strength. (They also forget that he's a biotech genius, on a level with people like Stark and Pym in his own field - he brewed up that artificial spider-silk formula and the webshooters, using a kid's chemistry set, in his aunt's garage when he was in high school, for Odin's sake!)

I just wish they could stop with the whole SJW-thing in all movies.

That says infinitely more about you than it does about anybody responsible for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    I just wish they could stop with the whole SJW-thing in all movies.

That says infinitely more about you than it does about anybody responsible for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Glad somebody said it...that term doesn't even make any sense in this context!
    Good guy wins against tougher opponent. You know like how these things usually work...
    I don't see how that is any kind of social statement...

but I didn't really want to go off on a rant about that so I won't because it is dumb.

I think this was answered back on May 7?
    I just wish they could stop with the whole SJW-thing in all movies. Black Widow already stated herself in Ultron that she and Hawkeye are out of their league in these fights. Ye Widow takes on supervillains in every movie.. I call BS.
    Widow shouldn't have had a chance in blue sky against Proxima
    When Spiderboy held back Thanos's hand, THAT was a serious joke.. Thanos manhandled Hulk, so now Spiderboy is stronger than hulk ?..

JwLmWoa.png
    Crazy to think that wasn’t even Hugo Weaving
    Crazy to think that wasn’t even Hugo Weaving

So it wasn't him? I was pretty sure I read somewhere in the past that he wouldn't be sitting down to do that makeup again... but he didn't even do the voice?

It was that guy from Walking Dead; the one who goes out and recruits people. Usually with Daryl
    ...Again, Brolin joined the exalted pantheon of Loki and Vulture - and apparently Killmonger, but not seen Black Panther yet.
    Not spoiling here, but Killmonger does have a better motivation in the movie than he does in the comics, and Michael B. Jordan knocks it out of the proverbial park.

Thanos is actually a bit of a tragic figure here, in my mind; even though the Infinity Gauntlet gave him the power to literally remake the universe, to avoid the Malthusian catastrophe he thought inevitable, he had by then become so fixated on this whole "kill half the universe" thing he literally could not conceive of anything else to do. And he thought everyone would be grateful.

(And of course we know it'll all be undone, just like in the original story, only this time without so many rotating endings and cosmic forces from beyond space and time getting involved.)

This version of Thanos is indeed a Mad Titan. He expects gratitude for genocide. He confuses torture for parental love. He claims compassion but revels in brutality and destruction. He's clearly psychotic and delusional. His plan provides at most a brief reprieve from population pressures -- they'll build back up again in a few generations. But aside from that blind fixation, Thanos is disciplined, shrewd, and resourceful. Smart evil is the most dangerous kind.
    Shouldn't Thanos have been able to see into the next movie using the Time Stone? If he doesn't win in the next movie then this whole thing is nonsense. Strange was able to look at a kabubilion possible futures to figure out what he needed to do to win... so then Thanos looked at all those futures too, also seeing the one Strange saw, and then also saw the future that counters the one Strange was using.

Also, with the perceptive powers that the gauntlet gives him which cross the limits of space and time and souls and minds and all that stuff, Thanos was able to check his plan to see if he was right and if the eventual outcome was beneficial. This means Thanos is right and that what he did is better in the long run. So really the question isn't "how can Thanos possibly lose", it is instead "should we even want Thanos to lose?".

Thanos did nothing wrong.
    Spinny, you're forgetting - Thanos is obsessed. And insane. You're positing a rational action, from a clearly irrational mind.

Of course, you've made it plain you didn't care for the movie, so I suppose your attempt at trolling here (a rather transparent one, not even on the level of the Cardassian apologist on the STO forums whose tagline is "Dukat did nothing wrong") should also be predictable - rationality seldom arises from irrational bases.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I mean, Thanos is the sort of guy who sees justification in performing mass genocide that is scaled across countless homeworlds in the known universe for some perceived "state of purity" in his mind. He wants a clean slate for the universe, for it to begin anew. His motivations stem from his personal experiences with his own civilization's failures and he decides that every other known civilization out there in the known universe is doomed to fail like his own.

Thanos is clearly insane and has a god complex. His intentions and actions are unquestioningly wrong in a moral sense.

Anyway, what I got from Strange seeing one possible future out a gazillion that gives the good guys a chance in winning the Infinity War is the one that simply involves giving the Time stone to Thanos, to even out the playing field. Strange says "we are now at the endgame" for a reason, and he didn't say that it's the end. That future eventually plays out but Thanos snapping his fingers didn't exactly give him the result he wanted. Not everyone has disappeared from reality. The remaining heroes who are still around can still figure out a way to beat him.
    It gave him the result he thought he wanted - half the beings in the universe are gone. He still believes the survivors will be grateful to him for doing that; it just isn't occurring to him that anyone could possibly oppose his plan or him once he's accomplished his goal. He doesn't look at possible outcomes, because he doesn't think he has to.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I might have to watch the movie again since I missed the whole "wipe out half the universe" intent of his. Now I have a better understanding of the ending.
    Thanos also had very little time with the stones. He wasn't skilled in their use (as were Vision and Doctor Strange). In the comics, it's similar; though he does use the individual powers of the stones to some extent, he is really focused on using them to power the Gauntlet.

Thanos was certain that his plan was the right thing and believed it was his destiny to fulfill it. That was his singular purpose long before Strange surrendered the Time Stone. With that frame of mind, and the Space, Reality, Power, and Soul Stones already in his possession, he had no need for the Time Stone as anything more than a tool to be used to locally unwind events that would prevent him from achieving his goal. That’s why he only used it specifically to reverse the destruction of the Mind Stone and Vision. It’s a bit of plot armor for the remaining heroes, but the nice thing about psychotic villains is that you can play fast and loose with that villain’s blind spots.

And if you think about it, Strange might have recognized that blind spot when he was searching through possible futures. I wouldn’t be surprised if, in the end, he stumbled upon that 1-in-14 milion victory state only because he was getting nowhere with “prevent Thanos from acquiring the last two Stones” futures, figured that Thanos valued the Time Stone least of all, and restarted his search with “What happens if I just give him the Time Stone?”
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    An article on:
    1. Why Thanos did not just double the reasources.
    2. Why Thanos waited until the movie timeline to gather all the stones.
    3. How the snap damaged the gauntlet and permanently damaged Thanos (whatever that means).
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
    Why did he wait until the movie to gather the Stones? Because that was the plot of the movie. It's like asking why the Council of Rivendell waited until Sauron's return to try to get Frodo to destroy the Ring (even though, although the movie version doesn't make it clear, he had it for eleven years after Bilbo retired to Rivendell), or why Obi-wan waited until the droids showed up to tell Luke about his power.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    An article on:
    2. Why Thanos waited until the movie timeline to gather all the stones.
    3. How the snap damaged the gauntlet and permanently damaged Thanos (whatever that means).

Because he wouldn't be a bad guy then.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

Because then he'd be a Republican, and the MCU is very obviously right-leaning so all the bad guys gotta be lefties.​​