test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So that Cosmic Cape was up for a week with hardely any info... any chance to bring it back

guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
Kinda annoyed. The one damn thing I have been asking for (for about 8 years or so), a freaking Dona Troy cape finally gets in the game for a week and there is no info on it, unless you count one article from an obscure MMO site and patch notes.

Will this come back? Why was it so hard to find info on it?

Edit:

Want to clarify that I didn't see any info in the patchier only a "we have something in the works" kinda post about the celebration. I found out about the cosmic cape in chat, in game, after it was done and on some MMO news site that's not MMORPG.com or Massivelyop.com
Post edited by guardiannexus on

Comments

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    +1

Everyone should have this cape. I don't see a compelling reason not to bring it back. It was a free item, why not make it always available? Or at least have more opportunities to pick it up. And I have to agree that Cryptic is horrid when it comes to getting the word out for things CO.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Wait...what? What are you talking about? What cape? What did I miss that I might have gotten last week? And from where/who? WAIT...there was also an aura? Inner Power Aura? I'm I readintg this...very small news article (if it can even be called one) right? Wait...they already did the Still Standing event?! I did not even see an article stating that started, only that the new alert was basically part of it...
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »
    Wait...what? What are you talking about? What cape? What did I miss that I might have gotten last week? And from where/who? WAIT...there was also an aura? Inner Power Aura? I'm I readintg this...very small news article (if it can even be called one) right? Wait...they already did the Still Standing event?! I did not even see an article stating that started, only that the new alert was basically part of it...

A cape with a really cool effect where the material of the cape is basically space. Like the cape itself looks like it's a portal to outer space. It's all cosmicy. It's pretty cool.
  • thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    +1

I also missed out on this freebie!! I didn’t know to look into the zen store, until I saw others wear it in-game! It is kinda frustrating
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    +1

Definitely need a little boost to advertise CO, this cape'll help if it's just a perma-free obtainable costume piece to keep celebrating CO's longevity! Also it's bound to turn quite a few heads from folks playing the currently released competitor's game of the DC variety~
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User

Muahhahaa!!!!!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    They should make it available again eventually, maybe in a costume pack that has a variety of pieces using the same effect. I bet they probably will do something like that at some point.

• morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    You know what the worst part of this is? I found out about this cape from reading the log-in pop-up message saying "Hey, go to the zstore to claim this thing!" ...the week -after- it was available. If you're going to make something available for one week only, -please- don't leave up the messages saying you can get it when it's no longer there!
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    soulforger wrote: »

A cape with a really cool effect where the material of the cape is basically space. Like the cape itself looks like it's a portal to outer space. It's all cosmicy. It's pretty cool.

Thanks...now I'm not happy I missed that at all...
    morigosa wrote: »
    You know what the worst part of this is? I found out about this cape from reading the log-in pop-up message saying "Hey, go to the zstore to claim this thing!" ...the week -after- it was available. If you're going to make something available for one week only, -please- don't leave up the messages saying you can get it when it's no longer there!

This was last week? Or the week prior? Not that it matters, for I saw no such message when I logged on during those weeks...
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The freebie was rather well hidden.
  • thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    Maybe bring it back in September?!
  • guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Just so everyone can know what I mean go over to test and talk to debugger. He has the cape in question. I would post the screenshots I just took but I don't know how at the moment.

edit
    best I could manage. Here is the links to the image of the cape in question https://pasteboard.co/HloBfiN.png https://pasteboard.co/HloCfqA.jpg https://pasteboard.co/HloCy8h.jpg

Note I also have the sparkle skin on the costume so it added a bit more "stars" to it.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Having it available again, and better advertised, for the annual anniversary would be a smart move.
    Maybe bring it back in September?!

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Same with the still standing perk/title.

I saw nowhere saying "Log in the week of whatever to get this thing".

I happened to log in with one toon, got it, and thought "Okay, just a perk for everyone to celebrate the game lasting as long as it has".

Wrong. Only one of my toons has it. The others missed out because I was busy and didn't think there was a hurry.

This cape? Never saw a mention anywhere. Been here since early start and my reward for that is one thing for one toon and nothing else because no one here seems to know how to let people know about things like this.

They can make a post about them being the longest running game but not about the things they are adding in-game as a result and how to get them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Just so everyone can know what I mean go over to test and talk to debugger. He has the cape in question. I would post the screenshots I just took but I don't know how at the moment.

edit
    best I could manage. Here is the links to the image of the cape in question https://pasteboard.co/HloBfiN.png https://pasteboard.co/HloCfqA.jpg https://pasteboard.co/HloCy8h.jpg

Note I also have the sparkle skin on the costume so it added a bit more "stars" to it.
    Here it is on live:
    phantasmacosmiccape_by_marhawkman-dcbptu1.png
    Well... mine has a few other effects added too.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • gkvector#0573 gkvector Posts: 11 Arc User
    +1

Definitely need a little boost to advertise CO, this cape'll help if it's just a perma-free obtainable costume piece to keep celebrating CO's longevity! Also it's bound to turn quite a few heads from folks playing the currently released competitor's game of the DC variety~

Sorry, no. That other game has had items with the same effect (and other similar ones) for several years now. Not that I'm endorsing it. I played it for quite a while and I much prefer CO, though I wish (fervently) that the devs would fix the CLIPPING (and clipping and more clipping) issues!!!
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    +1

Sorry, no. That other game has had items with the same effect (and other similar ones) for several years now. Not that I'm endorsing it. I played it for quite a while and I much prefer CO, though I wish (fervently) that the devs would fix the CLIPPING (and clipping and more clipping) issues!!!

Simply saying this would bring more people to the game from the other. . . Very unsure what you're on about unfortunately.
    You know...the clipping. The stuff that clips....like The Clippers on the Clipper cutting their nails with clippers.

Fixing costume clipping is such an unsolvable issue.
    In theory it could be done, but in practice it'd be such a ridiculous amount of effort it wouldn't be worth it.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    In theory it could be done, but in practice it'd be such a ridiculous amount of effort it wouldn't be worth it.

It's not even a theory. I've seen many MMO's and never have I seen as many clipping problems as CO has. I believe most avatar systems use polygon culling to solve the problem. It certainly would have been easier to do if implemented from the start, but it might well be worth it to go back and put a system in place to solve the problem now. Costuming is kinda important in a superhero MMO.
    Hey, some players depend on that clipping for their insane looking costumes!
    It's not even a theory. I've seen many MMO's and never have I seen as many clipping problems as CO has. I believe most avatar systems use polygon culling to solve the problem. It certainly would have been easier to do if implemented from the start, but it might well be worth it to go back and put a system in place to solve the problem now. Costuming is kinda important in a superhero MMO.
    How many of them have costume options as varied as CO? :p

For example: Your Diablo 2 character might look unique(not guaranteed)... but the list of pre-defined options is so short that it's stupidly easy to check all of them for clipping.... also that game didn't have the ability to resize body parts.

That's a large part of why CO has "issues" with clipping is because the list of options is an order of magnitude greater than most games. In WoW, you can guess around half of a person's build by looking at their character. Here? Maybe 5%.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    > @gkvector#0573 said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > In theory it could be done, but in practice it'd be such a ridiculous amount of effort it wouldn't be worth it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not even a theory. I've seen many MMO's and never have I seen as many clipping problems as CO has. I believe most avatar systems use polygon culling to solve the problem. It certainly would have been easier to do if implemented from the start, but it might well be worth it to go back and put a system in place to solve the problem now. Costuming is kinda important in a superhero MMO.
    —————————————————
    You are forgetting that a lot of pieces weren’t even meant to be used together. The tailor opened up tons...allowing combination and clipping was encouraged. Now, if you are wearing basic tights and your skin clips from scaling...that’s an issue.

If you put on a hat and your hair shows...that isn’t an issue.

There is good and bad clipping and would be impossible to picked which ones to fix.
  • guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    > @gkvector#0573 said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > In theory it could be done, but in practice it'd be such a ridiculous amount of effort it wouldn't be worth it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's not even a theory. I've seen many MMO's and never have I seen as many clipping problems as CO has. I believe most avatar systems use polygon culling to solve the problem. It certainly would have been easier to do if implemented from the start, but it might well be worth it to go back and put a system in place to solve the problem now. Costuming is kinda important in a superhero MMO.
    —————————————————
    You are forgetting that a lot of pieces weren’t even meant to be used together. The tailor opened up tons...allowing combination and clipping was encouraged. Now, if you are wearing basic tights and your skin clips from scaling...that’s an issue.

There is good and bad clipping and would be impossible to picked which ones to fix.

it was not like this at first, then a lot of people wanted it and when
    kaizerin stared to work on the game he/she work with the other developers to consolidate the costume items and allow for the clipping, as it allows for cool combinations. Also, to stay on topic: Where is my cosmic cape?

First, you could have the option to allow clipping or not because, I agree, clipping sometimes makes for interesting effects. Most of the time, however, the results are just bad and TBH sloppy. Here's a prime example:

co_clip_example.jpg

These are the tight folded boots (a basic feet option) on skin! There is no excuse for this kind of clipping. They clip the same way when used with tights and you can just forget about using them with any of the pants models.

I understand that dealing with clipping is a difficult problem but none the less, in a game like this, it's part of the deal. As I said before, most engines deal with the problem by polygon culling which will eliminate most clipping issues.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    That is very bad clipping. Please post that in the costume bugs thread.... I know the devs look there as they have already fixed a couple of things I posted there.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited May 2018
    ^ yeah that is a prime example of bad clipping.
    I've seen worse. At one point there was a costume glitch in STO where a certain pair of boots would have part of the boot stick to the floor when you kneeled, so it made this weird thing sticking out of your foot.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I've seen worse. At one point there was a costume glitch in STO where a certain pair of boots would have part of the boot stick to the floor when you kneeled, so it made this weird thing sticking out of your foot.

was that weird thing bumburger?
    spinnytop wrote: »
    was that weird thing bumburger?
    khanclipping_by_marhawkman-d87t65d.png
    It's my character Diaula.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    ah yes, you had bumburger's mushroom character sticking out of your boot o3o
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Doesn't do me much good since capes share the same slot and wings, being a Dragon an all without wings isn't gonna work for me so, I miss out on it... \o/
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    Then make something else that isn’t a dragon.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Then make something else that isn’t a dragon.

Maybe he doesn't want to. It's fine if he wants to miss out on it :p
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    dragon wings with the cosmic material for the stretches of skin between the...fingers... or whatever it's called
    hmm... I might use that on a non-dragon.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited May 2018
    @spinnytop
    Wing Membranes.

Also if anyone even noticed a few posts I mentioned why I stayed with Champions Online to begin with, cause it gives me the opportunity to represent the Dragon family with relative physicality and power/skills (Limitations withstanding), so I don't have any intent of making something outside of my primary motivation(Sharing with Friends is welcome), it would be courteous to have more options for the Cosmic Material as Spinny suggested,
    For example, like how the Tailor got a revamp last year(Or the year before?) and have been able to use skirts (Clothing Option) without that bugged Legs & Skirts (Robes still do but legs are obscured so that's okay?) option distorting the legs mass, see how it fits nicely now? like it should of.

A8D3CAA39D454E864A26B3CEB37BBF9C76CA82C1
    CDB1808DD3C256E568132C8388F61EB3DCD93DA8
    6DBF1F02562A598D0D3278A665E5C395611FAFCF
    F8B16CD1FB3146DDB9049E915ED644E1BAAC42B1
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    You should make a sit-com called "Dragon Family Matters".
    edited May 2018
    @spinnytop
    I don't understand the relevance here, I was stating my initial motivation for staying on Champions Online then moving on like anyone else not interested, could you elaborate?
    Cryptic could add a back option for capes while using wing based pieces, some testing required.

edited May 2018
    You mentioned the "Dragon Family"

Family Matters is a sit-com that was on the air in the 90s.

1200x630bb.jpg

I put them together. Don't freak out, it's not a plot by the Wyrm State!
    Or is it???

Dun dun dunnnnnnn