test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reducing CTD

aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
edited May 2017 in PC & Technical Issues
CO crashes very regularly for some people. I've found a few things that can minimize the crashes greatly and figured I'd share them.

1) Disable "Reduced file streaming" in the CO options (note this can reduce performance, in particular when CO isn't installed on an SSD).

2) Set "Threaded Optimisation" to "Off" in your nvidia driver options.

3)The nightmare event seems to react positively to running CO in DX11 mode (1st setting in 1st screenshot).

4) Since nvidia driver version 382.05 CO started to get stuck instead of doing CTDs, I've heard the same from another player so it's not only on my own computer.
When running CO with the -console commandline switch, pressing enter in the console can unstuck the game. Sometimes it unstucks and gives a memory error and does a CTD anyway, but often it just continues without problems.
This also seems to happen mostly during the nightmare event. Outside that event the error is always a memory allocation error.
Post edited by aiqa on

Comments

• Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    I crashed only while tabbing, twice last week, those were the few times (and a couple more) that CO crashed me and I have just an Intel .w.
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    I can give these a try, for me I've been using default for years, and Crashing has occur more frequently since Win10 so Coincidence? we'll see.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I couldn't find a similar option in the ATI control panel, I also couldn't find any settings that seemed to have any impact on the the crashing at all in the ATI control panel either.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    Added 3) and 4).
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    There are some per-application customisation settings in the ATI Crimson control panel but CO never seems to figure; I think it's largely because CO is still in 2014 as far as support for ATI drivers are concerned... it never stops bleating about them being out of date when they're bright and shiny....
  • Options
    tykunetykune Posts: 70 Arc User
    Tried these settings, and it didn't seem to lessen my crashing at all. (Perhaps made it a little worse?)
  • Options
    combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User

The game sometimes freezes on me instead of CTD or it gives me the "out of video memory" error. I am getting the nag about out of date drivers even though I'm running the most current. My card is a amd radeon r9200/hd7900 though. I have no problems with any other game and can run most of them at max settings.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The only thing you can really do to completely fix "out of memory" errors is running the game in lower settings.
    The file streaming settings in the opening post can help.
    And for some people those errors happen a bit less when running in DX11 mode.
    These are workarounds that can improve things, but will not completely fix CO's engine problems.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    ok. Tried these fixes and so for go good as I had a 1/2 or non-crash gameplay