test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steam vs ARC Please?

I have been playing CO since it first came out (pre-order), Lifetime member. Question is do you have to install ARC to play? Can I use Steam Launcher and sign in with my ARC sign it. I do not need, nor want several launchers just to advertise there stuff on my system. I have Steam and over a dozen games on steam so would like to consolidate. Nothing against ARC, just like to keep the overhead low on cpu, mem, etc. etc. thanks much

Comments

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    You don't need either after you install. But I use Steam with my PW account info. Steam just pops open the launcher for you, but doesn't use their info for login.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    You can use either or, or even find the launcher and use it standalone instead of it being hooked to Steam or Arc through the installation you get from them. The only thing is that Arc (apparently) gives you some bonus Zen for doing things with it that you can use in any game on Arc.

Anyway, there's nothing stopping you from using the Steam version or the CO launcher standalone. For standalone, just look for where you installed CO and find the launcher's .exe there.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shreddoggshreddogg Posts: 23 Arc User
    Thanks very much for the info. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer. See ya in game.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I still use the original launcher. Much less hassle.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • shreddoggshreddogg Posts: 23 Arc User
    I will give it a try. I just want to make sure I get my characters and all the benefits I paid for as a lifetime member. 300.00 and yes I added anything new.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    Don't use either one.. just navigate into your Champions Online folder and create a shortcut directly to the launcher and run the game from that. Both Steam and ARC are resource hogs and are one of the sources of the "lag" some people have.
    @Powerblast in game
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    nepht said:

I still use the original launcher. Much less hassle.

Pretty much this.... me too :+1:

I hate having bloatware running in the background.
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    chuckwolf said:

Don't use either one.. just navigate into your Champions Online folder and create a shortcut directly to the launcher and run the game from that. Both Steam and ARC are resource hogs and are one of the sources of the "lag" some people have.

This is the way to do it
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    I only downloaded the Arc Launcher separately to get some "promo items" then uninstalled as it is just PWE trying to push their games. I never tried Steam nothing against them but again, I just don't see the need for a massive game catalog to run (or ruin) the game. Should Cryptic ever decide to enforce the Arc Launcher as mandatory, I won't be part of it. I view game launchers, the same way, I see those annoying search toolbars that attempt to invade the browsers. Annoying, useless, spamware.
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • thecrusaderxthecrusaderx Posts: 11 Arc User
    Same, basically using Arc is optional. Steam is fine enough and I kinda trust its transaction system a bit more than Arc atm. But that is just me. But yeah what sandukutupu said. Spamware.

• > @chuckwolf said:
    > Don't use either one.. just navigate into your Champions Online folder and create a shortcut directly to the launcher and run the game from that. Both Steam and ARC are resource hogs and are one of the sources of the "lag" some people have.

I never knew this. Thank you, kind sir.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User

> @chuckwolf said:

> Don't use either one.. just navigate into your Champions Online folder and create a shortcut directly to the launcher and run the game from that. Both Steam and ARC are resource hogs and are one of the sources of the "lag" some people have.

I never knew this. Thank you, kind sir.

You're Welcome
    @Powerblast in game