test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just wondering is all.

I've been playing this game around November of 2009 with around an hour short of 1000 hours.

But honestly I keep on finding it hard to keep on bothering to visit this game from time to time. I used to be fairly active especially around at least post Vibora bay and its episodic story missions after that. But its getting harder and harder to bother myself here and just play other games including Star Trek online. I mean its not really anyone's fault after the separation from Atari and such. But I don't know, it makes me wonder how a lot of you continue to play this game when really there isn't really much going on. Nothing to look forward to and even making alts just don't appeal to me anymore. Don't get me me wrong, the game was great and its character creation is leagues above COH and DCUO but still I just find it hard to bother myself.

I don't even know how many are around still playing this game. At least from a guess I'd wager at least a couple hundred but I don't know. Maybe its just me but I just find it hard to understand what motivates you all to keep on playing this game. What drives you? What interests you here? What keeps you playing the same thing again and again? I mean one can only do so many Cosmic monsters as the games' only form of challenge for the high end players save for TA. I don't know. Maybe I am a procrastinator or maybe I am just lacking patience but I just find it hard to keep myself coming back I guess.

Feel free to ignore this little rant I suppose.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I like playing superhero from time to time. Sure, my starship captain is heroic - but he can't fly, use powered armor, or generate electricity and/or fire from his bare hands. (Exothermic Field III, while fun and useful, just isn't the same.)

If you need more than that, maybe what you really need is a prolonged break. Nobody should try to do the same thing all the time - it gets boring. Or, for that matter, maybe being a super just doesn't offer you anything any more. No shame there - not everyone's the spandex-and-cape sort, after all.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    For me its the social aspect of it; I may play one cosmic or alert per day on average anymore, but its mostly because my time is spent talking to people. Ive made a bunch of friends and I generally spend most of my session talking to them in chat. Perhaps if you found a circle or two to relate with, it would improve the game for you. Stop and say hi once in a while, compliment an outfit ask for help or offer it if someone asks in chat. You never know who you will run into and the possibility of so many friends you could make ^_^

If you just played one alert or cosmic or grind after another, it would get tedious after a while. Manage your session properly and plan for variation so it doesnt burn you out.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I like playing as my characters. CO is the only game where I can create them. If it weren't for the vast customization, I'd probably won't play this as long as I have.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    While the content doesn't change that much I enjoy rerunning it in different ways (e.g. one time I did it only using MC, the various Adventure Packs/Comic series, Alerts and VB. I.e. trying to do only things in an urban setting. I also like trying out different power combinations to see how well they do.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited April 2018

While the content doesn't change that much I enjoy rerunning it in different ways (e.g. one time I did it only using MC, the various Adventure Packs/Comic series, Alerts and VB. I.e. trying to do only things in an urban setting. I also like trying out different power combinations to see how well they do.

I'd forgotten about adventure packs! We should advertise for groups to those in the end game channel more often. I fear people are always spending too much time trying to gain a reward and not taking time to enjoy the content for the fun value of it.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

What drives you? What interests you here? What keeps you playing the same thing again and again?

I like exploding bad guys. This game lets me explode bad guys in a variety of ways while looking cool o3o

I mean one can only do so many Cosmic monsters as the games' only form of challenge for the high end players save for TA.

There's also soloing QWZ with various builds.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I like getting together a good team, beating the snot out of hard targets, following an interesting story, and getting cool trinkets. Is that too much to ask?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    If it helps, according to the ARC launcher, CO is the 5th most played game on a weekly basis for PWE games (this includes the ones made by Cryptic). In first place is Neverwinter, second is Star Trek Online, 3rd is PWI, 4th is Forsaken World, 5th is CO. So, that should tell you that people still do play this game. At the very least anyways. Though, that does tell me that most people that play this game do not spend a lot of money on it... at least, that is how I view this info.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I like making characters and costumes and trying out builds and being able to play as practically any character I can think of whenever I am in the mood to play as them.

• deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    I like making characters and costumes and trying out builds and being able to play as practically any character I can think of whenever I am in the mood to play as them.

Unique builds and characters change the game entirely. It's amazing how many different ways the game can be played. I've done things like mix Stealth and Confuses/Corruption to make a build that literally makes the enemies do all the heavy lifting for it. Efficient? Nah. Fun? Oh yes.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thecrusaderxthecrusaderx Posts: 11 Arc User

For me its the social aspect of it; I may play one cosmic or alert per day on average anymore, but its mostly because my time is spent talking to people. Ive made a bunch of friends and I generally spend most of my session talking to them in chat. Perhaps if you found a circle or two to relate with, it would improve the game for you. Stop and say hi once in a while, compliment an outfit ask for help or offer it if someone asks in chat. You never know who you will run into and the possibility of so many friends you could make ^_^

If you just played one alert or cosmic or grind after another, it would get tedious after a while. Manage your session properly and plan for variation so it doesnt burn you out.

Maybe your right. I dunno. Its worth a shot I guess. I guess I can spare a day or so.

• For me its the social and escapism of it all. Come home from work and I use CO to relax and recharge myself, as a healer I find it easier to socially as people tend the ask for support roles and I make an effort to help out at least one person everytime I log in that way I have meet interesting people. Did the Serpent Lanetern yesterday for the first time as 2 low level toons needed heals so I would recommend getting involved with the community to get more out of the game. Look our for me in game if you want I always used my David Saint toon
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited May 2018

I like playing as my characters. CO is the only game where I can create them. If it weren't for the vast customization, I'd probably won't play this as long as I have.

Pretty much this, CO gave me the opportunity to represent my Dragon Family through their symbolic relative appearance, powers/skills, even a outlet for creative outfits in a gaming medium, like if I was visiting the CO Universe, which is why I went LTS after the first month, unfortunately, certain circumstances and variables made it rather arduous and distressing, like lag, time zone differences, build disparity, business doctrine, bugs and self serving soloists for years while trivializing more specialized builds (Playing Tanks/Support before Fire and Ice that encouraged trinity/team work, was more of a torment) served to segregate others, I doubt anyone cares but I still haven't managed to play UNITY 2 missions,

Been around since May 2012, thanks to my mate who introduced me to it, and despite the great frustration of the first two weeks of familiarizing with the genre, I manged to grasp the interface and controls enough, it's been mostly mixed feelings, I had depression, attempting to socialize, enjoy myself, to express myself since I don't have many methods without depending on others to do so (Like Artwork), so lately I've been rather burnt out emotionally/psychologically since this human world isn't going to change for the better anytime soon, so when the will to play arises I tend to drop by for a few hours before doing something else, having friends with you would help but considering the former most end up leaving or perusing their own agenda, so I end up alone, that's my experience for you.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I only stay for the character costumization, both on Character costumes and powers, while waiting "patiently" for more power revamps so I can improve my freeform builds

No other game will allow the same levels of Costumization like CO and definitely no other game won't allow me to create my Characters in physical form like CO

I'm not social, I don't Roleplay and I only do Endgame Cosmics while occasionally farming resources​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Pretty much what Avi said.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Maybe your right. I dunno. Its worth a shot I guess. I guess I can spare a day or so.
    Have you played every story mission in the game? You will hit 40 LONG before playing every story mission. Especially since you have to actually find the triggers to activate them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    I haven't done "everything" but the stories are much more thought out than Neverwinter. I played Resistance over a few times. I really like to tell creative stories as well be part of creative stories. I feel Cryptic has more freedom with Champions in this aspect. Because Neverwinter and the characters are the IP of Wizard of the Coast, they can't kill off Valindra because they don't own her.

Champions only restriction is naming or blatantly copying a Marvel or DC hero. Which is not being very creative or unique. I have my four "almost heroes" on the Primus Database. There is a link in my signature. I really enjoy playing this and other MMOs that others call "dead". Champions has the best costume designer in an MMO.

When I RP in these games, I sure don't hide in some dank bar/disco or lurk in the Neverwinter whore house. I RP right out there in public and pay no attention to anyone trolling on me. I love the freedom the game allows the player and that is why I am still here.
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle

I haven't done "everything" but the stories are much more thought out than Neverwinter. I played Resistance over a few times. I really like to tell creative stories as well be part of creative stories. I feel Cryptic has more freedom with Champions in this aspect. Because Neverwinter and the characters are the IP of Wizard of the Coast, they can't kill off Valindra because they don't own her.

Champions only restriction is naming or blatantly copying a Marvel or DC hero. Which is not being very creative or unique. I have my four "almost heroes" on the Primus Database. There is a link in my signature. I really enjoy playing this and other MMOs that others call "dead". Champions has the best costume designer in an MMO.

When I RP in these games, I sure don't hide in some dank bar/disco or lurk in the Neverwinter whore house. I RP right out there in public and pay no attention to anyone trolling on me. I love the freedom the game allows the player and that is why I am still here.

I laugh when people call this game "dead". It really isn't. Still has an active player base. While some zones feel empty, it is still easy to go back to MC and talk with others.

I laugh when people call this game "dead". It really isn't. Still has an active player base. While some zones feel empty, it is still easy to go back to MC and talk with others.

My definition of "dead" is City of Heroes. If I log into the launcher someday and the game is no longer available, then it is dead.

Right after GW2 launched players started trolling on the original. "Why are you playing this dead game?". As time went by the original Guild Wars suffered a massive population loss. But then six months later people slowly returned. Then they stopped playing GW2 and it suffered the population loss. Forums with players complaints about how World vs World wasn't going so well seeing that some server shards didn't have enough active players. To "fix" this, they stopped charging for the download and went Free to Play for Guild Wars 2. But oddly enough the original "dead" Guild Wars will still costs you about $50 to buy the complete package. People still do buy it on sale, because once you buy it, there are no lock boxes to open or upgrades to buy. GW2 is modeled after the micro transactions with diamonds and lock boxes. Now on the rare occasion when a troll asks "Why are you playing this dead game?" I respond, "Which one are you talking about? The new Free to Play model or this one?" LOL
    banner.png

My definition of "dead" is City of Heroes. If I log into the launcher someday and the game is no longer available, then it is dead.

Right after GW2 launched players started trolling on the original. "Why are you playing this dead game?". As time went by the original Guild Wars suffered a massive population loss. But then six months later people slowly returned. Then they stopped playing GW2 and it suffered the population loss. Forums with players complaints about how World vs World wasn't going so well seeing that some server shards didn't have enough active players. To "fix" this, they stopped charging for the download and went Free to Play for Guild Wars 2. But oddly enough the original "dead" Guild Wars will still costs you about $50 to buy the complete package. People still do buy it on sale, because once you buy it, there are no lock boxes to open or upgrades to buy. GW2 is modeled after the micro transactions with diamonds and lock boxes. Now on the rare occasion when a troll asks "Why are you playing this dead game?" I respond, "Which one are you talking about? The new Free to Play model or this one?" LOL
    I agree with how you define dead.
    "why are you playing this dead game?" is an oxymoron in question form o3o
    spinnytop said:

"why are you playing this dead game?" is an oxymoron in question form o3o

Have I ever told you how much I love your profile pic? It just fits you so well.

Have you played every story mission in the game? You will hit 40 LONG before playing every story mission. Especially since you have to actually find the triggers to activate them.
    I have around eleven level 40 characters already and I have practically every story arc including Lemuria. I've been mostly around for a good decade so yes I have.

I guess the only thing I am missing is basically completing Telos Ascension. Pretty much did everything else.

But yes, I have been burned out for years. But that is just me.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

I have around eleven level 40 characters already and I have practically every story arc including Lemuria. I've been mostly around for a good decade so yes I have.

I guess the only thing I am missing is basically completing Telos Ascension. Pretty much did everything else.

But yes, I have been burned out for years. But that is just me.
    Have you invaded Mechanon's space station and kicked his robot butt?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Yes, that is one tough customer. I have only done it once with a full team. If you need something new to do in the game, make it. You don't need a Foundry editor to make your own player quest. Try this;

Ask players for help and have 4 nice rewards handy but don't tell them about the "rewards" in your inventory. Get a full team together to go on a repeatable quest of your choice or wander around the city map, then tell them you need to find (any random number you pick) of (item x). Just be sure (item x) drops where you chose this quest. Once you get the items you announce to the party, "Ok I got the (## item x) now it says I need (## of item y)." or you could just hand out your rewards and wish them well. This is very fun, especially with more mundane items in a low level area. Once you are done, tell them thanks for playing your custom quest, open trade or send the rewards by game mail.

Have fun!

banner.png
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    There's nothing wrong with being burned out on a game. It happens, and maybe a break would be good for you.

Barring that, try Teleios Ascendant and any other content you haven't done yet. Some people mentioned Mechanon. Maybe try to come up with a build to solo him? Just be forewarned, your fingers will feel it at the end.
    edited May 2018

Yes, that is one tough customer. I have only done it once with a full team. If you need something new to do in the game, make it. You don't need a Foundry editor to make your own player quest. Try this;

Ask players for help and have 4 nice rewards handy but don't tell them about the "rewards" in your inventory. Get a full team together to go on a repeatable quest of your choice or wander around the city map, then tell them you need to find (any random number you pick) of (item x). Just be sure (item x) drops where you chose this quest. Once you get the items you announce to the party, "Ok I got the (## item x) now it says I need (## of item y)." or you could just hand out your rewards and wish them well. This is very fun, especially with more mundane items in a low level area. Once you are done, tell them thanks for playing your custom quest, open trade or send the rewards by game mail.

Have fun!

But yes, thank you for advice regarding this. That I have soled Mechanon myself.

Have I ever told you how much I love your profile pic? It just fits you so well.

I don't know what you mean by that `_` thank you?