test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reviewed Melee sets and new powers aka Cookie cutter standard powers?

criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
edited April 2018 in Power Discussion
To be more specific I'd like to know what are the common powers present in every melee powerset that has been reviewed, so I though in a basic list for this purpose.

What I've seen so far is this:
1. Energy Builder with and adv that can apply the inset DoT/Special debuff of sets for example Bleed/Ego Leech
2. AoE Combo power which can deal damage in close combat (10ft) and midrange combat (25ft) that can apply the compatible damage resistance debuff which are also a Tier 0 power
3. A chain/whip/lariat power that pulls an enemy to your hero and has a lot of handy advs like refreshing a DoT/partially add 10 seconds to dmg resist debuff, restoration ,etc
4. An AoE pull (Cyclone type powers) which can potentially have useful advantages shared among them like Vortex Technique (Knock Towards + Furious), Stand your Ground (+200% Knock resist), Challenge!
5. A very powerful single target attack that deals +30% base damage to enemies affected by certain debuff OR the classic "Consumes X debuff to deal an additional X damage type" a.k.a. Ruptures/Detonation/etc
6. An energy unlock that procs from the compatible debuffs of the set or meeting certain criteria with the common Rec/End scaling which grant energy over time buffs.
7. A Form that uses signature inset mechanics and tend to be not cross framework friendly
8. A lunge with thematic advantage(s)
9. A thematic block power which might have a useful advantage to boost knock resistance or another things like applying debuffs/DoTs
10. A lockbox ultimate with varied effects. Note that this doesn't always apply for example we have the Mech Monstrosity from Gadgets in the Spider Lockbox but said powerset haven't been updated yet.
11. An AoE which deals damage in a circle and can get access to a 3 adv point to apply a dmg absorption shield (like Eye of the Storm)
12. An AoE which can Knock Down/Knock up enemies in the air and have advantages that partially refresh the duration of the dmg resist debuff as well the DoT debuff (for example Lightwave Slash/Inexorable Tides)
13. A single target Stun which has access to the Trauma adv (reskins of Brute Strike).
Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here

Best Answers

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Any of those forms can be kept up with a single power.
    Taking one power for the sole purpose of stacking a form really doesn't count as "cross-framework friendly," especially since there's probably going to be one that works better with your primary attacks. Form of the Tempest is cross-framework friendly. Mental Discipline is far less so. Form of the Master isn't at all.
    Mental Discipline works great with Darkness. Debatable, and in some cases completely false, like I said.
    Darkness is ranged though, and as such, you're better off using a form that favors ranged.
    Unarmed also doesn't have a lariat.
    Chained Kunai. Logically, it makes sense to have 4 similar frameworks share the same lariat.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    So what Chained Kunai is for most Martial Arts powersets, a Lariat right? and Heavy weapons does have a knock to in Earth Splitter's Bend the Earth adv if used within certain range.
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here

Answers

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    1. Nearly all power sets have this so bit of a stretch for the purpose of this list.
    2. Not all the RMS have a power that does this in 10 and 25 range.
    3. Not all RMS have this
    4. Not all RMS have this
    7. Second half of this is debatable and in some cases totally false.
    10. Not all RMS have an Ultimate
    11. Not all RMS have this

5, 6 8, 9, and 13 are accurate I think. Not sure on 12, lots of qualifications on that one.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Actually, 7 seems pretty accurate in most cases. We have:

- Particle Accelerator (Laser Sword): Melee-based, triggered by radiation effects. No melee powers outside LS use radiation effects so not particularly cross-framework friendly.
    - Form of the Master (Unarmed): Melee based, triggered by chi effects. No melee powers outside Unarmed use chi effects so not particularly cross-framework friendly.
    - Mental Discipline (Telekinesis): Melee based, triggered by mental states. Aside from Fear, mental states aren't common so unless you can spam Fear somehow, this also isn't particularly cross-framework friendly, but it's better than the previous two.

...and that's really it in terms of reviewed melee sets. Heavy Weapons doesn't really count since it didn't get its own form (no loss really) and Bestial's is usable by any power that plays with bleed.

And for 3, the only reviewed melee set that doesn't have a knock-to is Heavy Weapons, one of the earliest of the reviewed melee sets.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Any of those forms can be kept up with a single power. Mental Discipline works great with Darkness. Debatable, and in some cases completely false, like I said.

Unarmed also doesn't have a lariat.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It would be nicer if the "knock to" was a little bit stronger. For the 25' pulls, it hardly matters. The few 50' ones, a bit more. Still, I mostly use those pulls for their secondary or advantaged abilities.

Those powers should offer a lite root as an advantage. The purpose is to get someone closer so you can melee them. Hard to do if they can just run away immediately. I've tried using a secondary power with root/snare, but by the time you get it off, the NPC (I don't PvP) has run away from melee range.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"