test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Models (The Emperor's New Clothes) Edit: Resolved.

morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
edited April 2018 in PC & Technical Issues
When I start up the game normally, none of the latest textures/parts are visible - Crowley is missing hands and feet and hat and such, there's no palm tree or surfboards behind him, and in his preview store all the preview images are blank white rectangles.

When I go to the PTR, everything works fine.

When I run the launcher as administrator, everything works fine.

As I've gone in and made sure that I have full permissions and ownership of the CO game files, this suggests that the (live) game has started storing data in places it really shouldn't be using - but I haven't been able to track down where.

Edit: this is under windows 10, with CO installed under Program Files (x86).
Edit2: Moving it out of program files fixed the problem - though I had to both move the folder and call up regedit to change where the launcher thought I'd installed CO. If anyone else needs to figure this out, the relevant key was under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher.
Post edited by morigosa on

Comments

• deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Have you done a Force Verify from the launcher?​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    Oh, right, didn't list out all the various things I tried. Yes, I did a force verify. Yes, I did delete the entire live folder and make the launcher re-install the game. I even tried deleting the launcher's cache files. None of those things worked.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    A friend of mine advises never putting an application with self modifying code (like Cryptic MMOs) in the Programs folders, as Windows finds such activities highly suspect. I keep the folder in public/applications, which cuts down weirdness. YMMV.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I long ago moved my CO install to a directory that wasn't under Program Files, as it gave me warnings at launch every time I ran it from Program Files.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    And moving it out of program files fixed the problem (though I had to use regedit to make the launcher realize I'd moved it.)

Thanks! Would not have expected the default install location to be the problem. Yay windows, I guess.