test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jack Fool...

I just got (again his mask) and being the curious guy I am, I wonder, who the heck is the zombie dude that can one shot you with either a sword or a pair of tiger claws. Any generous soul out there to tell me a bit more than what the game says beside his affiliation with DEMON, being a soulless corpse possesed with the souls of his tormented parents or a member of the Edomite's Inverted trinity.
Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here

Best Answers

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    As revealed in DEMON: Servants Of Darkness, Jack Fool (his real name is never mentioned in the book) was the son of an Italian immigrant to New York, and his Gypsy wife, who taught Jack Gypsy lore. During the 1920s and '30s he was a masked "mystery man" fighting crime in NYC, adopting a disguise based on the motley of the Fool as appearing on the traditional tarot deck. In 1925 an encounter with the nascent DEMON, in which he interrupted an occult ritual, imbued him with phenomenal supernatural luck, like the Fool card represents. He would continue to be a thorn in DEMON's side for the next fourteen years.

But Luther Black finally captured Jack Fool in 1939. Recognizing his mystical symbolic significance and potential use in his apotheosis ritual, Black cast his soul into Hell and made Jack's body his utter slave. Now essentially undead, Jack Fool acts as Black's assassin whenever called upon, his luck translating to perfectly targeted lethal blows. At other times he lies in a coma-like state in crypts or tombs, with only fragmentary memories of his former life, haunted by the ghosts of his parents who chastise him for the recklessness that led to his damnation. Jack Fool is part of Luther Black's "Inverted Trinity" along with the Black Shepherd and the Left Hand.
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓

Another question esteemed @bulgarex, in the book you mentioned, is it stated his weapon of choice before having his soul cast to hell? Like an specific set of weapons, sword or claws? or that was Cryptic doing when they added him in Demonflame back in 2010?

No need to "esteem" me, we're all friends here. Although a little groveling is good for my ego. :p

There's no mention in said book of a particular type of weapon Jack used during his heroic career. His incredible luck lets him make any sharp object he picks up capable of delivering a lethal blow: a steak knife, a shard of glass, a broken bone. His luck also makes him very difficult to hit in combat (although his undead state has left him tougher to hurt than a living man).

Jack Fool's luck aids him when he's trying to sneak up to someone or enter a secured location on an assassination mission. People just happen to look away from him, or from security cameras monitoring an area, as he passes through. He can disable sophisticated security systems just by removing a panel and jiggling some wires, or entering a random code on a key pad which happens to be the right one.

Answers

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    That's pretty cool, I love that he started as a pulp mystery man.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Another question esteemed @bulgarex, in the book you mentioned, is it stated his weapon of choice before having his soul cast to hell? Like an specific set of weapons, sword or claws? or that was Cryptic doing when they added him in Demonflame back in 2010?
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Jack Fool just became 100x cooler
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    Indeed, this gave Jack Fool more character depth than the 1-dimensional Wacky Edgy Harlequin Psycho persona the game portraits​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited March 2018
    avianos said:

Indeed, this gave Jack Fool more character depth than the 1-dimensional Wacky Edgy Harlequin Psycho persona the game portraits​​

To be fair to Cryptic Studios, that's more or less the persona he displays in the PnP game, too; although probably less wacky and manic. What's left of Jack's mind was shattered by Luther Black's not-so-tender ministrations. He's frequently muttering what sounds like nonsense to himself (which is actually pretty tragic when you understand the context). When traveling on a mission he covers his costume in ragged clothes that cause most passersby to dismiss him as just another crazy homeless person.

It's also possible for Jack Fool to be redeemed from his current state. If his soul can be rescued from Hell (where it's the plaything of an arch-demon) and reunited with his body, Jack would regain his original persona. He'll have no memory past his death in 1939, though. Learning of what happened to him, and what he's been made to do, since that date would undoubtedly be traumatic for him.
  • flagpole#4268 flagpole Posts: 38 Arc User
    Aaw man, now I want to save Jack Fool, like in an adventure pack or whatever... His backstory is surprisingly melancholic, and really cool in my opinion.