test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Melee/Ranged hybrid question

jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
So following the DPS End guide I can see how to do Melee or Ranged.... but the question here is how for a hybrid?

For example in a build where the Melee is a filler used to apply debuff/effect (or used against trash mobs) and then using alpha strikes skills (the heavy hitters one) in ranged.

Wich setup of PSS/SS can work better? And how it is Vindicator Mastery for this prupose?

Thanks.

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

So following the DPS End guide I can see how to do Melee or Ranged.... but the question here is how for a hybrid?

A hybrid can be effective if its primary dps is melee and ranged is used for debuff application. The reverse mostly doesn't work -- if you're going to be at melee range anyway you might as well use melee attacks.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    The reverse mostly doesn't work -- if you're going to be at melee range anyway you might as well use melee attacks.
    Yea, melee in general has many more high-dps options than ranged, though ranged has reach and radius advantages which can be useful for things like CC, debuffs, openers, or AoE.

A for stats and specs: a variety of setups can work- mostly just depends on the build and content taken.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    Actually I'm mixing 100Hands w/ Flaming Fist and Heat Wave+Incinerate for the Ranged damage based in some character from a fighting game from M*Studios.

Content? As always PvE :D
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Eh, still don't see much practical reason for that. But I guess if you want a build that can function in melee w/ 100ands or at ranged w/ Fire, then here's one:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Throw Fire (advantages)
    Level 1: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 6: Fire Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest (advantages)
    Level 11: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Flaming Fists)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Pyre (Rank 2, Burning Sun)
    Level 23: Flashfire (Rank 2, Fan the Flames)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Smoke Bomb Lunge (advantages)
    Level 32: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 35: Heat Wave (Engulfing Flames, Feed the Flames)
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace (advantages)
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Not ideal to mix melee and ranged like this, but if you want to have either option in one build then you kinda have to accept that. Heat Wave can debuff, and Flashfire can add some nice DoT dmg, apply CF, and refresh EF. Your filler attack for ranged is Incinerate, and for melee its 100Hands. Pyre can add some wider pbAoE and a healing rune (or knockdown, if you want the other adv). Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End. Also get some cost discount on utility gear, and skip severity rating on gear when you have Dex Mastery.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

Eh, still don't see much practical reason for that

Thematical reasons, Cpt.Marvel from the MU.

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    what about 100 hands into force cascade?

Go with Unstoppable and the Toggle form from fire. Ego Primary, but stack rec for the toggle. Take demolish and the clinging flames adv on 100 hands. This would turn 100 hands into a setup power for cascade.

Stacking rec will give you a gob of energy from knockbacks (due to unstoppable).

Probably not an ideal build... but there is some synergy there.
  • sekhmet46sekhmet46 Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I think HW/Fire takes the prize for synergizing without using the exact same main damage type (I know a lot of HW attacks do some fire damage, but still). This is one of the few alts among my 25 or so that I had the attention span/ interest to level to 40.
  • mafa1inmafa1in Posts: 35 Arc User
    I generally do melee/range hybrids in one of two ways. Either take the main AoE attack of the build as the "wrong" type (the type which isn't buffed as much by your form), works great with tanks where you won't have to worry about your passive in the build. The second way to do it is to build a support character, using compassion; that way the range of your attacks won't matter much at all.