test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Replacers return as Offensive or Utility Cores

One of the few things I still miss (aside from the gear with flavor text and creative names and actual craftables) from Pre-On Alert are the presence of Power Replacers and the uniqueness they added, especially to ATs. Things like the Jackhammer turning your regular old assault rifle into a rapid fire laser weapon similar to UNTIL or VIPER soldiers' or the Vibro Blade giving sonic damage and a neat aura around your katana (and my personal favorite, the Damage replacers which did things like make Sorcery abilities do Dimensional damage) were some of the best ways to further customize your character to fit a theme. This is reflected further in game with people like Caliburn the gunmage who does mystical damage while using guns. With the way modifications have been revamped in recent years I think these forgotten enhancements could be brought back as unique cores.

Now the only real caveat would be the importance of Rank which I believe can be easily accounted for. The baseline mods will convert damage but be overall weaker with the penalty being inversely proportional to the rank of the mod with a Rank 9 mod having a 5% damage penalty and a Rank 1 mod having a 25% damage penalty. So say Nightmare slots a rank 3 mod which converts all mystical damage to dimensional. To prevent this from being overly exploitable a Rank 3 mod would make the final damage amount only do 80% of what it would had it not been converted. This would also assist people in getting the as many Do X Damage perks as possible without having to change builds or buy retrain tokens if they're silver.
<B><COLOR="blue">Behold, the greatest Nightmare returns!</COLOR></B>

Comments

• Options
    grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User

One of the few things I still miss (aside from the gear with flavor text and creative names and actual craftables) from Pre-On Alert are the presence of Power Replacers and the uniqueness they added, especially to ATs. Things like the Jackhammer turning your regular old assault rifle into a rapid fire laser weapon similar to UNTIL or VIPER soldiers' or the Vibro Blade giving sonic damage and a neat aura around your katana (and my personal favorite, the Damage replacers which did things like make Sorcery abilities do Dimensional damage) were some of the best ways to further customize your character to fit a theme. This is reflected further in game with people like Caliburn the gunmage who does mystical damage while using guns. With the way modifications have been revamped in recent years I think these forgotten enhancements could be brought back as unique cores.

YES.
    Resurect the old power replacers as mods, and do not forget the badass shiny animations-auras-effects associated.
    Resurect it **** utility cores if possible. There's already too much good things to put into offensive core slots.

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Power replacers were a bane to developers because they're actually brand new powers that erratically inherit the behavior of existing powers, and thus create all sorts of dependencies. I would not expect them to return.
  • Options
    noyjitatpwenoyjitatpwe Posts: 98 Arc User
    I want them back but since you're already giving up a utility or an offensive slot power cost to use this then I don't see why there should be any form of penalty. Losing extra critical, cool down reduction or power cost reduction from these slots is a big enough penalty on its own.
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    I would love to see, at least, some form of weapon aura system, so our guns could fire lasers instead of bullets, or have our swords with flaming blades. That would be easier, I'd imagine, than the old power replacers that alter the damage type of your abilities as well.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    Meanwhile, I want some mods that would allow Unarmed MA to apply stacks of bleed. Yeah, I can get behind this.