test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skippable story and alert cutscenes

So this games what 8 years old? Even newer STO content has mostly skippable cutscenes. Any chance this might be a thing at some point...ive I almost memorized the Poe fight dialog.

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    We've been asking for skippable cutscenes for years. If it was going to happen, it would have happened. The best we can do is pester the devs to just outright remove cutscenes I think, but they don't like to poke around in old code so that's not likely either.
  • Options
    diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User

There's alot of simple changes that players has requested since years back,
    yet they haven't been implemented.. despite having ZERO negative impact on gameplay.
    So either they're simply ignoring us, or lack the programming knowledge to implement them.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Only "almost"?

So this games what 8 years old? Even newer STO content has mostly skippable cutscenes. Any chance this might be a thing at some point...ive I almost memorized the Poe fight dialog.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    There's actually a reason why a lot of those scenes are unskippable - the game is, as you may have heard, intended to be played by groups of people with a variety of connection qualities, and the cutscene is an opportunity for the system to make sure all the players are in sync before the scene starts.

Also, as has been noted, this software is spaghetti-coded like All-You-Can-Eat Night at Luigi's House of Italy, and messing with anything can easily produce results both unexpected and difficult to track down. As the old saying has it, if it ain't broke....
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    "Simple"....you guys forget that this game has coding that defies logic...
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    As a Lifer, this is something that I would actually pay real money for. I won't pay money for costumes or most of the other garbage in the Z store, but this I actually would.

The problem with skipping cutscenes is that it is an everybody or nobody thing. This isn't a problem in story content, even in a team, because the team leader would have control over them. But, in stuff like alerts, who chooses?

The thing is, there are some skippable cutscenes, so we know it can be done. The opening scene for most zones can be skipped if you have seen it once, for example.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    One bit of hilarity in STO that the devs eventually patched out was how the "Welcome to New Romulus" cutscene would lets you see the people in the zone doing all the stuff in the zone they'd normally be doing even if there was no cutscene happening.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters