test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why does Qwyjibo's lava tic dozens of times?

A couple weeks ago I could safely lunge off the lava patches and survive the damage. Now suddenly I see a half dozen damage tics before the lava even appears and when I lunge I take unblocked damage which instantly kills me. So, what gives? Is this yet another thing in the game that broke? And if so what's going to be done about it?

It seems a serious design flaw to make it where all the DPS has to crowd behind the ape, when the server can't even keep up and thinks we're just standing there. Or worse, thinks others are in your way and blocks your lunge. Also because of the crowd, there's a great many overlapping lava puddles, which means even more damage.

Are you SURE you want us to play the Cosmic content devs?

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    There's nothing changed, I would find myself randomly dying on lunges a year ago. Just block and waddle forward, ignore lunges.
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Tried just blocking earlier today. Died through a block because the tics were just rolling in so fast, and this was one of my more hardy toons.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    You might have gotten unlucky and trying to wade through a stack of lava pools. Yeah, really. You can and will take damage from every one you're touching. Also try jumping then lunging in mid-air.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Because stop standing in the fire.
    <B><COLOR="blue">Behold, the greatest Nightmare returns!</COLOR></B>
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

You might have gotten unlucky and trying to wade through a stack of lava pools. Yeah, really. You can and will take damage from every one you're touching. Also try jumping then lunging in mid-air.

^ Sounds like it could be this.
    Then it's a serious design flaw. Sure the toon I'm talking about only has 9K HP, but she can ignore Kiga's storms, survive one or two minor hits from the ice dogs, and block and survive all the dino's attacks. I take Con as an SS on all my toons now and slot additional Con mods. So what am I supposed to do? Replace ALL my mods with Con mods?
    edited March 2018

Then it's a serious design flaw. Sure the toon I'm talking about only has 9K HP, but she can ignore Kiga's storms, survive one or two minor hits from the ice dogs, and block and survive all the dino's attacks. I take Con as an SS on all my toons now and slot additional Con mods. So what am I supposed to do? Replace ALL my mods with Con mods?

It's more of a positional issue.

With Ape and lava pools you kind of have to treat it like driving. You have to "drive for yourself and everyone else around you", this translates into making sure your current position isn't too closely linked to someone else by ensuring your placement after the AoE is spaced out enough that you don't endanger yourself (or others).

It's not ideal, but it adds an additional level of annoyance to the fight which can be overcome by being aware of what's going on.

Granted that's not always going to save you, but it helps a lot.

I don't think you need to re-gear or anything drastic like that, I think it's just unlucky at this point in time. I don't have many tanky characters who can boast surviving / ignoring the things you mention, I think Ape Lava Pools are just unfortunate in that instance.
    That's hard to do when you have to crowd in with 15-25 other people behind the ape, then get knocked in slightly random angles and distances by his AoE.
    edited March 2018

That's hard to do when you have to crowd in with 15-25 other people behind the ape, then get knocked in slightly random angles and distances by his AoE.

It is, but if you just 'control for' the people immediately around you (usually 3-5) then it becomes much easier.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The angle of the terrain can sometimes cause the lava pools to disappear, at least from what I've observed, into the hill side/under the map. That isn't so much a flaw with the encounter and more with how the map are designed in CO. (There are design flaws with the encounter, such as how easy it is for trolls to ruin the fight by attacking hearts)
    there's a short lead up to lava pools spawning. you'll get two ticks for pitiful damage, then the pool's position is set. So you have a one second or so window to move before the lava pool spawns. If you time it right you can completely avoid the lava pools.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    You are being hit by multiple lava pools.

When I play melee, I move a bit before the ape does the knockback, so I won't be in a crowd when the lava pools appear.

Likewise, I wait a bit before heading in, to pick ideal placement.

It means attacking a little less, but also dying a little less.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    As soon as you take the boom, move left or right a bit so you are not stacked up with a bunch of other meleers. What is happening, like others said, is that you are walking over multiple pools, some of which may be stacked under others so you can't much see them. If you move to the side a bit, you won't be as crunched in with as many people.

Also, note that lava pools pulse. That means, if you time it right, you can take one whack from the pools that spawned under you, then lunge, and you should miss any others. This takes really delicate timing and a lack of latency and lag that most people cannot achieve.

When I am playing melee, what I do is that right after the boom, I immediately start wiggling forward until I am even with the front row of other meleers. Then, as the pools are spawning, I step forward. That way I do not leave a pool AT Ape, but I usually only take tics from one or two pools.

The reason it seems like it has changed is because a couple weeks ago, the High Noon event was going on, so Cosmics were lightly attended. Now that the event is over, 50+ people show up. That means many more lava pools than before.

- - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    The problem is that there are too many melee characters there. Most of which aren't really contributing, save for making it much harder by getting more meteors targeting them, and pulling extra pools all over the place, you can try to stand off to the side, so that there isn't anyone else, but lately, it's been a nightmare, trying to find a place that's safe. The only suggestion I can think of, is that if you have to melee, just accept that you're going to eat it a few times, and try your best to block when you can, and avoid getting knocked around, into fire, or worse; in front of the ape where he's free to smash you.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
    nbkxs said:

The problem is that there are too many melee characters there. Most of which aren't really contributing, save for making it much harder by getting more meteors targeting them, and pulling extra pools all over the place, you can try to stand off to the side, so that there isn't anyone else, but lately, it's been a nightmare, trying to find a place that's safe. The only suggestion I can think of, is that if you have to melee, just accept that you're going to eat it a few times, and try your best to block when you can, and avoid getting knocked around, into fire, or worse; in front of the ape where he's free to smash you.​​

Or worse: flame breath. If you get knocked into it the disable might not wear off until after you're dead.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters