test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The best way to earn gold

ruadhcaithruadhcaith Posts: 14 Arc User
edited February 2018 in Champions Online Discussion
I just hit 40 and I am trying to get some gold to retcon my character. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!
Post edited by ruadhcaith on

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Buy zen and just buy the retcon. The amount of time you spending farming to do it for free may be more costly than throwing a few bucks at the game, depending how valuable your time is to you.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Full retcon of a freeform is around 500g. Grab alerts and farming costumes and gear to sell. Buying items from zen store and selling etc etc
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Smashes, costume farming and selling costumes basically if you're a free player.​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • ruadhcaithruadhcaith Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thanks everyone!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Isn't buying / selling keys cheaper than buying the retcon from the cash shop?​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    sterga said:

Isn't buying / selling keys cheaper than buying the retcon from the cash shop?​​

Depends how you value your time. A 10-key pack costs less than a retcon and sells for more than the 500-600G of a full retcon, but depending on who's on may take a while to sell.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

I just hit 40 and I am trying to get time good to retcon my character. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

Did you already use the free retcon that comes with you hitting 40?
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Strictly out of principle, I'd probably use the key-selling method anyway. Every time somebody throws money directly at the (absurdly overpriced) retcon token in the cash shop, it says to cryptic, "this thing consistently sells, we should keep this moronic system exactly how it is because it makes us money."​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I don't think he stated being Gold or Silver but I assume he's Gold. But yeah, selling keys is almost always the fastest way. Grinding Smash alerts is another way but selling other stuff is one way too. Even through leveling by missions, you can rack up a decent amount of Globals.​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • if you are selling keys , i will buy them at 77g each , whisper to heroic@kellychua anytime.
  • ruadhcaithruadhcaith Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    > @kamokami said:
    > I just hit 40 and I am trying to get time good to retcon my character. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!
    >
    > Did you already use the free retcon that comes with you hitting 40?

It doesn't show that I have one. Am I missing something?

It doesn't show that I have one. Am I missing something?

Freeform slot or gold? I think only gold gets it.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User

if you are selling keys , i will buy them at 77g each , whisper to heroic@kellychua anytime.

This sounds more like an self advertisement than good advice. Keys can normally sell pretty fast at 85-95g.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2018

if you are selling keys , i will buy them at 77g each , whisper to heroic@kellychua anytime.

This sounds more like an self advertisement than good advice. Keys can normally sell pretty fast at 85-95g.
    This is very true. Even just posting them on AH between 85-90g can see you get sales pretty quickly.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    honestly if you want to convert zen to global there are far better ways. level up items can sell for 300g easily or safeguard catalysts at 12g each.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Rank 9s can get you a 3-4K
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    There is no Gold in CO.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User

There is no Gold in CO.

They mean globals, b/c the color of the coin icon is gold. (Nationals are 'silver', locals are 'copper'.)

Honestly, this currency system is silly. They should probably just make it one big number & call it 'resources', since that's what it is anyway.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    But wouldn't selling [CrazyLeetStuff] for 746726493 Resources be too much some people to comprehend, that it's a **it ton of G's....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • narf#9213 narf Posts: 108 Arc User
    kamokami said:

I just hit 40 and I am trying to get time good to retcon my character. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

Did you already use the free retcon that comes with you hitting 40?
    I believe you only get the free retcon for hitting 40 if you're subscribed.

But wouldn't selling [CrazyLeetStuff] for 746726493 Resources be too much some people to comprehend, that it's a **it ton of G's....

Maybe that's why they did it the way it is, so people could shorthand it into just G's without extra typing? Prevents you from selling a lot lower than you intended. Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
    belwen said:

I believe you only get the free retcon for hitting 40 if you're subscribed.

Ah alright. I wasn't sure if they were subbed or not.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I have grinded out 500g by running smashes. It has to be the most tedious experience in the game. These days I just fork over the money for a key buy and resell on the exchange.

Another option is to farm Vibora Bay Vampires for rare costume drops to sell. But that's more hit and miss.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    There is no Gold in CO.
    I knew that would trigger someone eventually.

pSTF5Ab.gif

But yeah, having the icon gold-colored with a "G" in the middle doesn't help. It's really just easier to roll with it and call it gold than it is to fight it.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    That's probably part of it, actually. In STO, it's just "energy credits" without any lesser currency division and you end up with things vendoring for as high as 40,000 and items selling between players for high amounts like 100,000,000 a piece. Meanwhile, World of Warcraft has the same sort of currency division that CO has (gold, silver, copper) and player fortunes are reaching toward the millions in terms of gold. Without silver and copper to trim the fat, we'd be looking at prices in the billions: 1 billion = 100,000g 00s 00c​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    aesica said:

Without silver and copper to trim the fat, we'd be looking at prices in the billions: 1 billion = 100,000g 00s 00c​​

Well, currency appears to be handled as a 4 byte int, so you can't get too many billions (that's why max currency is 200,000G -- to give leeway from the hard max of 214,748G36N47L).

They mean globals, b/c the color of the coin icon is gold. (Nationals are 'silver', locals are 'copper'.)

Honestly, this currency system is silly. They should probably just make it one big number & call it 'resources', since that's what it is anyway.

They don't do that for the same reason that real money currencies don't. Currency serves to measure and communicate the economic value of a good or service. It does this more effectively and for more people if it's easy to understand and compare.

Since value to an individual is largely subjective, it's vital for it to be easy to discuss and understand price in order for it to reach any kind of stability for a large group of people.

• sekhmet46sekhmet46 Posts: 175 Arc User
    I've got LTS and all my characters start with 6 free retcon tokens each, plus a seventh at lvl 40. I'm not sure if normal subbing is any different but if not, I think it's safe to say ruadhcaith is silver.

Regardless though, I remember getting a free token at lvl 40 even when I was silver. Unless they changed that or you used it without noticing, which may have accidentally happened if this is your first character.

As per your question, there's no definitive answer. Obviously you can throw money at the problem to make it go away. Vibora Bay drops are also an option, though recently I've seen their value plummet. Some things drop valuable costumes (Forum Malvanum, most events, Cosmics) that you can sell. One Firewing's Tights will pay for two retcons. Generally, I find it's more effiecent to earn things that are worth G instead of directly earning the G.

As far as the global/gold debate, I type and say G (pronouncing it Gee). Sort of a neutral stance.
    kamokami said:

They don't do that for the same reason that real money currencies don't. Currency serves to measure and communicate the economic value of a good or service. It does this more effectively and for more people if it's easy to understand and compare.

Since value to an individual is largely subjective, it's vital for it to be easy to discuss and understand price in order for it to reach any kind of stability for a large group of people.

I believe I already acknowledged something like that. Here is my reply to flyingfinn:

Maybe that's why they did it the way it is, so people could shorthand it into just G's without extra typing? Prevents you from selling a lot lower than you intended. Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
    Not the EXACT point you made, but close enough, right?

I'm assuming you're referring to "dollars" and "cents" and how we usually use "dollars" by itself unless the price of the items is typically less than $1.
    edited February 2018
    sekhmet46 said:

I've got LTS and all my characters start with 6 free retcon tokens each, plus a seventh at lvl 40. I'm not sure if normal subbing is any different but if not, I think it's safe to say ruadhcaith is silver.

Those are veteran rewards. If you aren't LTS, they require a certain number of days subscribed (1,000 to get them all)
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    You guys do know you are replying to Finn, right?

Silver players have never gotten a respec token for hitting 40. They can, however, get tokens if they have the appropriate number of days sub'd.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    Respec tokens were given out to archtypes that were redesigned.

If a silver just hit level 40 your best bet is to farm the gold doing smash alerts. I can do it within a week while having fun. o.O
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    The best way is a mix of all these suggestions and the most immediate is to buy the retcon token from the C-Store, or to sell the Cosmic Keys.

However the other methods save you some real world cash. Sell items you don't want yourself, purple gear you find, costume unlocks (especially if you've already unlocked them), also there's action figures, and items that drop during special events.

One thing to remember, check what you can actually sell at the Auction Exchange first. Only sell what you can't put up on auction to the NPC Karnekki the Great.

Finally, do the daily alert missions even if they aren't for Smash. You still earn resources from defeating enemies in the other alerts, and when you turn in the mission you get some Silver Champions Recognition and some Questionite.
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User

Rank 9s can get you a 3-4K

Do those even sell though? That is a whole lotta monay.