test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The purpelest of rocks

salmialmisalmialmi Posts: 29 Arc User
edited January 2018 in Items and Crafting
We all know the purple rock, it's coarse surface and lovable colour is a true joy, but it has a dark side and that dark side is the stuff of legends.

It has come to my attention that during my time crushing siphones, closing portals and spanking colossi that the purple rock is rare,
so rare is this marvelous rock that my crazy grind spree has yielded two of it's ilk while the side activity (colossus) has granted me 5 costume pieces.

Wrapped cloth
Bat wings
rat skull
Skeletal monster
Raptor skull

VS

seven full inventories taken to Karneeki's pawnshop.

I believe that three purples and two gold costumes should not equal two purple rocks considering the vast amount of rocks required.
The rarity of this beautiful rock should be reined in as to not put the previous hide and seek champion, the blue rock to shame.

Edit.

Okay, I have now collected 9 rocks during this event, I was only killing worm mobs to keep the numbers exact.

Here are the numbers.

Rock 1. 3025

Rock 2. 3275

Rock 3. 1972

Rock 4. 1346

Rock 5. 315

Rock 6. 147

Rock 7. 86

Rock 8. 1903

Rock 9. 770

total kills. 12839

I need a larger pool to gage the average drop rate, but this doesn't look promising.

Post edited by salmialmi on

Comments

• Can I upvote this? Do we have that?

I play this game an unhealthy amount. I ran last NI and I'm running this one and a total of 4 rocks to date.

In that same type of playing time, at least 100 of the Xmas, Anniversary and Bloodmoon rocks.
    ADD Altaholic known as @Rejolt in game. I'm a dork, but hopefully a harmless one.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    I also have run the event OM a crazy amount since it's started. Tracking the perk count, I am now 38 Colossus runs deep and have only gotten 1 purple rock. I stay at the portals and loot every item drop from mobs. 1 rock for 38 such runs is pretty abysmal.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Welcome to RNG. \o/
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User

Welcome to RNG. \o/

this isnt an RNG issue, this is poor design. by this time in all previous events I had the 75 rock I was needing (and the AH would be packed full of them)... I'm up to 6 now.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Welcome to RNG. \o/

RNG would be fine if the drop rate were set to something reasonable. The problem is that the drop rate is set to a normal rate for situations where you can farm a bazillion henchmen, not where the weakest mob that has a chance of a drop is a tough villain who's probably protected by AoRP, and one major category of opponent you're supposed to go after has no drop table (portal summons do not have drops).
    Post edited by pantagruel01 on
  • salmialmisalmialmi Posts: 29 Arc User

Welcome to RNG. \o/

The average is set far to low for the amount of mobs available, I would average 3 blue rocks on a 100 stockings over the course of the christmas event while the purple ones at the time of writing is closer to 1 per every 3rd inventory filled with mob drops.

I am at this time still adjusting the average number and is thus grinding like a madman.
    It's purely a random number which is low at this point. It's sad for alot of people who strive to get the purple rocks but it's not impossible to get one. Just gotta be -really- hard on that farming. :(
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    Did you just tell the people in this thread to farm harder? Did you even read the names? Do you feel silly now? You should feel silly.

2s9bzbq.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Maybe he means literally farm...

I know I’ve been dying for fresh eggplant
    crosschan said:

Did you just tell the people in this thread to farm harder? Did you even read the names? Do you feel silly now? You should feel silly.

:'(

It's purely a random number which is low at this point. It's sad for alot of people who strive to get the purple rocks but it's not impossible to get one. Just gotta be -really- hard on that farming. :(

impossible to get one? no... impossible to get the 75 required to get the attack rock... yes
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Maybe he means literally farm...

I know I’ve been dying for fresh eggplant

Hush you! You'll give them ideas for a new reward drop.... 20 different colours of eggplant that can be traded in to the eggplant vendor (an eggplant in Monster Island's jungle) to get eggplant auras and eggplant devices that spawn eggplant pets that throw eggplants.

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    If there were a rock exchange (could be a fun play on words for the stock exchange) we could trade our extra rocks for rocks we don't have.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Purple Rocks are pretty
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited January 2018
    Okay, I have now collected 9 rocks during this event, I was only killing worm mobs to keep the numbers exact.

Here are the numbers.

Rock 1. 3025

Rock 2. 3275

Rock 3. 1972

Rock 4. 1346

Rock 5. 315

Rock 6. 147

Rock 7. 86

Rock 8. 1903

Rock 9. 770

total kills. 12839

I need a larger pool to gage the average drop rate, but this doesn't look promising.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Looks like the drop rate is being improved, according to Kai.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Well, I better post the 2 rocks I picked up in the AH pretty fast before the market drops out completely ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    drop rate has not increased, looks exactly the same after 1 hour or play (and Im not just talking rocks, the fangs, the mods, the green gear, etc are all dropping at the same rate as before)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    "exactly the same" How are you sure?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I said "looks"
    edited January 2018
    Lo! Glorious patch mistress has brought us gifts most bountiful.

Same method as before.

Rock 1. 211

Rock 2. 5

Rock 3. 425

Rock 4. 97

Rock 5. 67

Rock 6. 20

Rock 7. 1

Rock 8. 27

Rock 9. 1

Rock 10. 44

Rock 11. 28

Total kills. 926

The drop rate is much better now and it is greatly appreciated.
    wiped every mob out of west side three times this evening... one rock
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I managed to get 5 rocks this event, adding then to the totals from previous events I now how 6 purple rocks.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    I managed to get 8 rocks during week one (bought 2 or 3 of them), then farmed the remaining 67 of them on week 2. Took about 6-8 hours total spread across various days.

The trick was farming with a low level toon (below 30) so that the mob groups spawned without AoRP.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    "Team up" seriously nerfs the drop rate at orbs. with team up off and the highest DPS i got as many as 7 rocks at one chicken. The average was 2 rocks per chicken. only the highest DPS per target gets the drop at the orbs.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

only the highest DPS per target gets the drop at the orbs.

I think that was only true if you were not in the team up. I suspect being in the teamup did not reduce total drop rate, it just meant the drops were being spread out.

Of course, once this was figured out and the high dps people decided they would be better off solo (or in teams -- drops actually go to the team with the highest total damage, not the single player), drop rate for everyone else plummeted.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Yeah once out of Team Up, I got way more drops. I only figured this out in the latter half of farming them out, but within 18 runs I got 140 of the 150 rocks I needed.

Sucks that Team Up should affect drops in this way.