test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling tips? On the right track?

I am currently doing grab alerts for the boost, pop a xp boost, then do the story and civilian missions. Are there any secrets to leveling faster, or is this pretty much the meat of it?

Comments

• deviousideviousi Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    The general idea is this:
    6-10 - Do the Kodiak quests. By the time you complete "Fought the Law" from the Chief, you should be level 10. You can start doing alerts at level 10 but you're going to have some serious issues at this point due to the lack of a 3rd super stat (so your passives don't scale very well).
    10-15 - Do the Chief's quests and follow his questlines. At 15, you should be set to do XP alerts with minimal incident.
    Path A (aka, Alerts Spam):
    15-40 - Spam alerts. You'll hit 40 in a couple of days.
    Path B (Aka, How the game used to be played):
    15-25 - Do both Canadian and Desert Crisis (Helicopter outside of RenCen). After completing, pick your favorite of the 2 and do quests in those respective areas. You can do alerts while completing open area quests without much issue. Though keep in mind instances reset when you enter an alert (not always, but most do).
    25 - Go make your Nemesis and do that.
    25 - 31 - You can do quests in MCity's downtown area or city-hall area.
    31 (or 32?) - You should be able to do the Monster Island crisis.
    31-40 - Pretty much end-game at this point. Just complete quests and do the Lumaria and Vibora crisis (Vibora crisis should get you to 40 depending on when you start it). If you're still not 40 after doing all that, Vibora should finish you off.
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    Thanks for the breakdown, will refer to this. Was helpful, thanks.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    that is a really good breakdown tbh

I level up mostly from missions supplemented with grab alerts and from what I have found is: things like whiteout and resistance can be acquired at lvl 11. Desert crisis can be picked up at lvl 13 and Canada crisis at lvl 15. the first time you can enter monster island is level 27 and the minimum required to enter vb crisis is level 34.
    lvl 18-19 is the early VB storyline picked up from one of the guys in steelhead and it is worth doing if you have never done it or have a character who has already though VB

also 31 is the lowest level I have ever been able to enter lumeria...but maybe the crisis instance lets you get into the sub sooner.

beezeeze said:

that is a really good breakdown tbh

I level up mostly from missions supplemented with grab alerts and from what I have found is: things like whiteout and resistance can be acquired at lvl 11. Desert crisis can be picked up at lvl 13 and Canada crisis at lvl 15. the first time you can enter monster island is level 27 and the minimum required to enter vb crisis is level 34.
    lvl 18-19 is the early VB storyline picked up from one of the guys in steelhead and it is worth doing if you have never done it or have a character who has already though VB

also 31 is the lowest level I have ever been able to enter lumeria...but maybe the crisis instance lets you get into the sub sooner.

Good stuff, thanks for the tips all.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I simply can't force myself to level up by alerts. I'd rather do the content (which I have done before, but I can tweak the lines I follow to make it a bit different each time). Of course, the fastest way to level up is to buy the instant level 30 item and then buy 10 1 level up items.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Find a decently beefy / dps-y lvl 40 to carry you through alerts while you pop XP boosts. Or you can level with friends. Even if just doing alerts, it's at least more pleasant.

Use a vehicle for all of the outdoors missions. Get off the vehicle when you turn the missions in. XP buff on gear doesn't work while on the vehicle.

Nem heirloom gear for the XP buff. Subscribers/LTS have a 7.5/12% (or something like that) XP buff at low levels. Leveling gear in general saves you from wasting time re-gearing.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Grav pulse is best for outdoor missions...and make sure you utilize crime computer
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    1.buy a vehicle mod and a piece of cheap slotted gear from the ah.
    2. do the two crafting missions at max plank. Thats most of a level
    3. do westside missions til 16, do grab each hour or more if bored, for the boost
    4. head to canada and work my round to burial butte at about 27-29
    5. head to Monster island and work my way round till 40. Heading to Canada at 33 for the yeti missions.
    6. Usually 40 at either worm area or Andrithal.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    You also get a piece of slotted gear for free from one of the two inital missions Kodiak gives you.

For myself, I usually pick either the Desert or Canada to level in between 16 and 20, depending on whether I feel more like dealing with rogue Canucks and ice demons or mutants and robot cowboys. Then there's the Queen City arc, somewhere between 18 and 20 - I always enjoy that. (Well, usually. Staredown didn't have as much fun there as most toons, probably because I've restricted his power selection to things that can emanate from his face/eyes. You'd be surprised how few powers there are that can do that.)

I generally skip the MI crisis, because I don't enjoy it as much as some, and avoid Lemuria altogether because navigating there is a pain. Generally I hit 40 either during the Apocalypse in VB, or sometime afterward while working to clean VB up. (Due to a crippling case of altitis, I've never finished VB.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Grav pulse is best for outdoor missions...and make sure you utilize crime computer

I actually AVOID that now since it tends to give you the lowest possible level stuff you haven't done. Also I just hate Socrates...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Bear in mind that some of the story missions in MI and VB at around levels 38-40 will give you access to gear which is (if you're building that way) better than anything available in the AH or Q store. I tend to try and level to 40 completing a storyline (the Michael Perkins/Slug storyline on MI is a favourite) and those culmination missions are the ones that give the best gear.
  • n3lln3ll Posts: 21 Arc User
    This is NOT guide for beginners but when creating next characters unless you right away buy some zen or have friend to help you financially.
    Buy pretty much any mk2 vehicle, rank 6 mods or higher (I recommend 2x enemy hull scanner and 2x reconstructive biosteel), Incendiary Rounds mk2 or 3 and Gravity Pulse mk2 or 3 and transfer it to your new character. Then do grab alert always when your boost runs out and use xp boosts (hopefully you got decent team so you don't need to be super well geared) Then find good spots to farm, no need for missions as they are slower way to level up unless maybe if you are glass cannon DPS you might farm around as fast.

Before reading: SKIP all crisis missions by having teleport to teammate or having a friend with summon team device!

Low levels at least Prison open mission is good, change zones when you finish it on previous one and you level up quite fast up to level 13-15 or so.
    Then head to Canada, there I don't remember now the best places to farm first 5 levels or so but after you are bit over lv 20 there was a good area near TA mountain. Here you can farm till around 26 (you can go test it after few levels and see if you can survive and make better xp or not, it depends on your vehicle and mods)
    Then again I don't remember what to farm, either stay in Canada or head to MI but after you are around level 28-31 head to Lemuria and farm until level 36 or so, last 3-4 levels you can continue there but farming in Vibora Bay is bit faster.

Sorry for vague information, I haven't leveled new characters in long time, but with this guide you should hit level 40 within 11 hours for sure. With high end vehicle even within around 7-8 hours. There might be nowadays even faster ways and/or better spots to farm so i'm not sure if this is the best way but I didn't see anyone telling the leveling time or using this method so I decided to suggest it. For example doing only grab alerts takes at least 2-3 times more time unless you got pre-made team all the time and still it isn't as fast.
    IronClaw@AllahSemmin in game c:
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    The Canada farm spot was nerfed into the ground. Doing the Frog and ASCII OMs with a vehicle can still be useful. Plus, you sometimes get drops to sell. Mobs don't give very much XP, so why you wouldn't want to do missions doesn't make sense. If you're blasting away at random enemies, you might as well be doing the mission associated with them.

Only VB requires you do the crisis anymore and you certainly don't need a teleport to team to bypass it anyway. You can simply wait for A Day At The Mall grab alert and pop into / leave the PoHo at the end of the alert.

If you have a decently beefy lvl 40 dps carry you through XP alerts, it only takes 3-5 minutes. If that's not fast enough, then the cash shop has your answer.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    chaelk said:

1.buy a vehicle mod and a piece of cheap slotted gear from the ah.
    2. do the two crafting missions at max plank. Thats most of a level
    3. do westside missions til 16, do grab each hour or more if bored, for the boost
    4. head to canada and work my round to burial butte at about 27-29
    5. head to Monster island and work my way round till 40. Heading to Canada at 33 for the yeti missions.
    6. Usually 40 at either worm area or Andrithal.

So Vehicles bond to account so usually I have at least a few in my hide out vault for leveling characters. If you're leveling when there's a double XP bonus on (and why would you level at any other time) as Chaelk points out that's a level before you even leave the Renascence Center. Other missions you can do here include The Perk's System from the debugger. With XP nemesis gear or similar XP gear equipped, you could be at level 8 before you even start leveling.

So, as a general rule here's what all my leveling toons have:
    1) Nemesis Gear, which you can buy from a nemesis dealer. You get it from roughly two complete nemesis runs, which takes a while, but Masq, my main toon and event and mob farmer, has 18 nemeses because of this.
    2) a Vehicle, keeping the ones with the best AoE attack for new toons that lack AoE attacks. This is great for open world travel as low level toons can't get around the big maps very quickly with their low level travel powers. Also gravity pulse, incenrary round, and even heavy cannon can take out low level mobs with a single shot which can speed up that low level leveling to get you those crucial early powers powers.

As for actual leveling I follow a pretty set course (These are all roughly + or - up to 2 levels)
    6-7 Missions at the Renaissance Center
    8-10 Kodiak and mobs around Westside
    10 First grab alert. From here on in we want to make sure we have a grab alert XP bonus always up.
    11-14 Chief Surhoff, Julie Morgan, Burt Jackson, and Lin Qi. Missions to avoid: Fight Club, Rescue the Researchers
    14-18 Canada Crisis, Desert Crisis
    18-22 Harrison, Silver Avenger Sanchez, Kinetik. Missions to avoid (or Abort) PSI Relief, if you don't get enough mind control devices just abort. Take me To Your Leader is currently bugged.
    22-29 Canadian wilderness: Robert McKenzie, Eddy Neison, Ravenspeaker
    Celestar, Charbonneau, roland Amtower
    Richard Davenport, Lt. Diefenbaker
    Celestar, Clayton Grswold, Cadet Lawrence, Henry Cronyn
    29-37 Moster Island: Ironclad, Fuiani Okonkwo, father Elk
    M'Ling, Gideon H. Jones, Dr Silverback. Missions to avoid: Rats in a Maze, Inglorious Base, Snakeskin Surprise
    Jason Lark, Gadget Boy, Dr Toru. Missions to avoid: Remote access
    Major de Luna, Dr Janice Sellers, Brother Whitehart
    Major Kwame, Dr Stasky, Major Moore
    Rod Boyer, Francois Simenon, Major Blixen, Michael Perkins. Missions to avoid: reprogramed for Mayhem, From Monsters
    to Men, may need to abort: Identity now.
    37-39 Vibora Bay Crisis, Dr Ka, BlackMask, Robert Caliburn, Juryrig, and Akako Yamimori (might have to abort this one).
    Missions to avoid: Everything given by Elder Hormenius
    39-40 Monster Island, Hank Crusoe, Captain Fyodorovich, Dr Silverback

I also sometimes travel to Lumeria between Gideon H Jones and Jason Lark, I'll also occasionally do the Canadian Bigfoot stuff at around level 35.
    leveling has been going great, referred to this page and this was really helpful. I am going to level some alts.