test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question About A New Freeform Character

Hi,

A few years ago CO gave away a freeform character slot so I signed up at that time. I made two character,s got to the very first part in the tutorial and haven't touched it since.

I've come back to play it proper now I have time but I can't figure out which one is the actual freeform character.

Both have nothing on them which says it's freeform, and I can also create a new freeform character for free as there is no 'Zen' symbol on the freeform icon (like with the other classes such as The Tempest, The Mountain etc) .

So, how do I know which is which?

Do you have to finish the tutorial before your freeform character is actually set and the freeform slot is spent?

I really want to get my game started but I don't wanna waste time on the wrong character, and also if I can still make a new one (for free) then there is some things I'd like to change about the character from the start with a new one compared to the ones I made previously.

Best Answers

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    lostyus said:

Ok, I've just looked through it and there's a class(?) named 'The Blade' but also the Innate Characteristic named 'The Blade'. So that might have confused me a bit also...

I might have created a 'normal' character to get a feel of the game before wasting the FF on a character (that might not work well because I'd pick bad skills or something) though I thought I'd created a FF back then also.

So if those 2 are just normal class then that would explain why I can still click on the FF icon to create a character. My error came from me thinking I'd already created a FF character those 2 years ago.

Ok, can't paste the picture to show you how to tell what a free form character slot looks like on the character select screen. Instead, I'll just tell you what to look for. If I remember right, the free form slot that was given for free, is the same as the one that can be bought. So, to see if a character is the free form slot character, there would be a lightning bolt in the background of the character's portriat at the character select screen.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/forger13/The Free Form Symbol_zpsxmmkbgld.jpg?t=1513542504

Ok, the link works (at least for me it does). That shows the symbol.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    lostyus wrote: »
    Yeah I'm silver, no sub. thing is, I think one of the two characters I created (ages ago) should be a FF...maybe both, but as I mentioned I can still create a 3rd character by clicking on the FF icon.

I checked both places you mentioned and it says 'The Blade', is that the AT? There is no mention of anything else and no FF.

Does having a FF slot let you pick your own Recovery, Dex, Con, etc numbers instead of picking a set type like 'The Blade'?
    "The Blade" (AT) has an innate talent called "The Blade" because each AT has an innate talent named after them. Anyhow, to determine which slot is freeform, well here's a screenshot of one of my alternate accounts. It's a basic silver account with the 2 default character slots + the freeform slot:

u8FT4dF.png

Note the gold border. That's the freeform slot.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).

Answers

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    If you're Silver, no sub. You have 2 Character Slots available. Plus the Free Form Slot. So you should have 3 slots.
    You can make, for free some Archetype characters. Some are bought with Zen. And with the Freeform Character Slot you can make a FF, freely choose the Powers it has. Zen icon only shows on ones that are bought from the Zen Store.
    When you choose a character, it should state in the window right on the Character Selection screen what charater is, Free Form or what AT it is.
    Or ingame, right click character icon and Info, Overview. It says there if its FF or AT.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lostyuslostyus Posts: 8 Arc User

If you're Silver, no sub. You have 2 Character Slots available. Plus the Free Form Slot. So you should have 3 slots.
    You can make, for free some Archetype characters. Some are bought with Zen. And with the Freeform Character Slot you can make a FF, freely choose the Powers it has. Zen icon only shows on ones that are bought from the Zen Store.
    When you choose a character, it should state in the window right on the Character Selection screen what charater is, Free Form or what AT it is.
    Or ingame, right click character icon and Info, Overview. It says there if its FF or AT.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah I'm silver, no sub. thing is, I think one of the two characters I created (ages ago) should be a FF...maybe both, but as I mentioned I can still create a 3rd character by clicking on the FF icon.

I checked both places you mentioned and it says 'The Blade', is that the AT? There is no mention of anything else and no FF.

Does having a FF slot let you pick your own Recovery, Dex, Con, etc numbers instead of picking a set type like 'The Blade'?
  • Options
    Ok, I've just looked through it and there's a class(?) named 'The Blade' but also the Innate Characteristic named 'The Blade'. So that might have confused me a bit also...

I might have created a 'normal' character to get a feel of the game before wasting the FF on a character (that might not work well because I'd pick bad skills or something) though I thought I'd created a FF back then also.

So if those 2 are just normal class then that would explain why I can still click on the FF icon to create a character. My error came from me thinking I'd already created a FF character those 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    aesica said:

Note the gold border. That's the freeform slot.​​

I'd never notice the different borders...as I'm a LTSer.
    Post edited by soulforger on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also when you look at the character select screen, it shows a bit of data about your character, You click on the mini-pic to select a character then it shows the full size character using the 3d model, and on the right has an info box. this info box should have name, level, and character archetype.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Also when you look at the character select screen, it shows a bit of data about your character, You click on the mini-pic to select a character then it shows the full size character using the 3d model, and on the right has an info box. this info box should have name, level, and character archetype.

Yes, this also works. Also, I noticed the reason I never noticed the difference in the borders. As a subscriper/LTSer, all borders are gold, regardless if they are FF or not.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone :)

Like i mentioned above, I'd installed the game 2 years ago just to get the FF slot, had a fiddle with the game a bit and hadn't touched it since. I had made 2 characters and thought I'd made one of them a FF, sooooo with being still a noob to the game I didn't know what to look for (and really didn't know anything about powers, FF etc).

I've now created a FF and my girlfriend has created a normal character so I was able to piece together what to do with looking at both characters, lol, though I still appreciate you all taking the time to respond.