test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sooo...Water Powers?

chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
Apparently, DCUO has released their Water powerset.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_4ioefhxg

The effects are mundane, but pretty much expected. Making it look 3d may cause problems.

Better step up your game CO~
mfZ37eB.png
Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
DeviantART|FurAffinity|
Twitter

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I stopped at 3mins, but nothing impressive there. Our fire extinguisher looks better than most of those. The few powers that did look cool were no different than force powers.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I will always be impressed by people that have to have the power named exactly after the name they want despite you have multiple powers that already pull off the effect. And, as predicted the effects look like crap. No wonder they waited this long to reveal them, despite having announced them a while ago. CoH water power set looked like crap to, but better than that. Scratch that it looks worse than crap, like they took splats from other power sets and just recycled them painting them blue, not even water blue, just blue.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    DCUO also has running on water and on walls. So your suggestion is negated.
    Also Batman.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I'd rather have Plant Control.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

DCUO also has running on water and on walls. So your suggestion is negated.
    Also Batman.

Running on water isn't exactly a thing since they don't exactly have the ability to go under water. It's just an effect when you are in water, and hell even the acrobats run on water not just the speedsters, as water is just another ground texture made to look watery, since you can't really go under it. As far as running on walls, it was a sloppy solution, in short since even brushing a sign post in DCUO is a result of doing a spin around for a few seconds.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Oh look, several variations of holy water o3o

By that standard, we already had water powers. Step up your game dcuo uwu
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Eh, it's just two powers. Not really rooting for DCUO, but they have more water-based powers than we do.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter

spinnytop said:

Eh, it's just two powers. Not really rooting for DCUO, but they have more water-based powers than we do.
    You mean crappy reused effects that are blue. Again you don't need a power set called water to simulate water. Hell the entire force set can simulate water since that was what it was originally hence all the waveyness.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User

You mean crappy reused effects that are blue. Again you don't need a power set called water to simulate water. Hell the entire force set can simulate water since that was what it was originally hence all the waveyness.

Can't really blame them for reusing effects. I mean, CO does it too. There's really no point fussing over it tbh.

mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    I'm more curious as to why people are still using horrible soundtrack in their youtube video.
  • because different people have different tastes in music

if you don't like their taste in music, ask them to release a non-music version; most would probably be willing to do so if asked politely​​
    #LegalizeAwoo

Can't really blame them for reusing effects. I mean, CO does it too. There's really no point fussing over it tbh.

Animations get re-used but one thing CO does try to do is give at least different effects to suit the power. While it doesn't always happen, you can at least tell the difference between a fireball, ebon blast, and infernal blast, all of which use the same animation but a different effect.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    I agree those water powers simply boil down to aesthetics rather than having a unique function. TK, Force, Wind, and Ice pretty much can cover it in CO. It's possible to make up new or revise existing mechanics for it to create a new framework, but personally would rather see the ones that haven't had a review yet be resolved (which, looking at the current progress, will probably be another couple of years before every framework remaining is done; which is quite respectable, really, given the circumstances).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    WATER IS NOT LAME >:C​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • it kinda is...

i mean, you see a fireball heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    you see a bolt of lightning heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    you see a giant shard of ice heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    you see a huge boulder heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    you see a ball of water heading for you, you're...not​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Seeing a giant tidal wave which is about to crash you is not dangerous apparently

getting drown inside a huge ball of water and getting soaked so much that makes you vulnerable to electricity doesn't sound lame to me neither

You all are underestimating the power of water

Sidenote: the OP video has terrible Music​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User

it kinda is...

i mean, you see a fireball heading for you, you're pissing your pants

you see a bolt of lightning heading for you, you're pissing your pants

you see a giant shard of ice heading for you, you're pissing your pants

you see a huge boulder heading for you, you're pissing your pants

you see a ball of water heading for you, you're...not​​

Well, no matter which attack hits you, your pants are going to be wet.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > it kinda is...
    >
    > i mean, you see a fireball heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a bolt of lightning heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a giant shard of ice heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a huge boulder heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a ball of water heading for you, you're...not​​

Dis guy's never been to Houston or Florida.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonesing4 said:

> @shadowfang240 said:
    > it kinda is...
    >
    > i mean, you see a fireball heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a bolt of lightning heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a giant shard of ice heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a huge boulder heading for you, you're pissing your pants
    > you see a ball of water heading for you, you're...not​​

Dis guy's never been to Houston or Florida.

What? you mean Florida hasn't sunk yet? :p

I forget which city it was, but when hurricane Camille made landfall back in the 70s there was a yacht club who decided to test their expensive new "hurricane proof" building. They were never seen again, not even their corpses.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    gradii said:

I'd rather have time powers, a decent maintain eye beams, and raw energy manipulation. water seems kinda.. lame.​​

I'm fairly certain that the Force powerset is about raw energy manipulation.
    edited November 2017
    "raw energy" is so comic booky u3u what even is that? Sounds like something a hippie would talk about. "It's just like... energy man..."
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Been playing DCUO a bit for the past few weeks. The water set isn't horrible, but there's nothing in it you couldn't do by cobbling together existing sets in CO and tinting them blue. *shrugs* I'm actually more exited by the stats revamp they did..which has opened up so many more build options. Including, weapons focused and iconics builds.

But I'm still one of those weirdos hoping that CO get's Plant/Nature type powers. :)
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • water is clear, not blue

it only looks blue because it's reflecting the sky - which generally happens best when it's still, and not speeding towards an enemy at 80 miles per hour​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    actually..... it depends on dissolved minerals, some places the tinting is quite blue :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Yea, water color is a variety of many factors. AYou can't say it's reflecting the sky in many shots of the ocean and many ocean paradise shots. It has to do with mineral content in the water, depth of the water, etc.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Is the water I produce to sploosh some badguys in the middle of milennium city going to qualify for any of those things that makes water blue? o3o
  • i guess that would depend if you're pulling it from a nearby existing source (like a river or lake) or producing it from hammerspace...and since the latter is far more likely, i'd say 'no'​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I mean like honestly it should be whitish and opaque like water from a hose or hydrant.

beezeeze said:

I mean like honestly it should be whitish and opaque like water from a hose or hydrant.

That's due to foaminess not the actual color of the water.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

beezeeze said:

Under what condition would you expect water being used as an attack to not be foamy?

beezeeze said:

Under what condition would you expect water being used as an attack to not be foamy?
    Depends on how the attack is being launched?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited November 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSYDmcjtWo

High speed water is white o3o and wouldn't water need to be moving at high speed to cause damage? Only other use would be encapsulating someone in water, in which case it would not be moving and would be clear.

Also all this dumb stuff you guys are talking about could be advantages.

High Mineral Content - an advantage on the paralyze power where you encapsulate someone in a globe of water... applies stacks of poison over time.