test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improve Improvised Implements

When I first began the game, one of the features that I thought was particularly fun was picking up random objects and throwing them at enemies. It was useful for controlled pulling for characters who didn't have ranged attacks, and could do a surprising amount of damage.

Eventually, however, this tactic (as well as bashing people over the head with them) becomes obsolete, as improvised weapons tend to be rare outside of Millenium City, do too little damage at higher levels, and break far too easily.

It would be nice to see improvised weapons improved somewhat, and if it isn't too difficult, for a few more to be added to zones which don't have many. Perhaps there could even be some objects that are especially durable in zones that don't have a lot of objects (perhaps even able to be thrown more than once).

Full disclosure: I do have a character that canonically likes improvised weapons, so my intentions here are slightly selfish. Nevertheless, though, I think it would make the game a bit more fun for a lot of people, and I don't see it creating any significant problems, as they still wouldn't fit into any content that is particularly difficult (what are you going to do, throw a boulder at Qwyjibo, then go over and pick it up again, all without ever needing to block?).

Comments

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'd be okay with more of these as long as there was some way to completely opt out of picking up "improvised weapons" via some toggled setting or something. Few things are worse in this game than mashing F to break out of a stun, only to end up picking up some stupid crate by accident. Most of my characters aren't meant to be brutish muscleheads and wouldn't even bother picking stuff up like that in the first place.

So without getting some way to turn environmental pick-ups off, I can't say I'd want to see more of those things in the world.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    I'd been playing CO for over four years before I made my first character with telekinesis.

The first time I mashed that TK button and a CAR came careening into view and smashing into my opponent, I couldn't help but laugh a little. And then came another car, a table, a chair, a garbage can, etc., and I was pretty much giggling the whole fight.

Nothing is as funny as watching an enemy prepare to attack, only to be smacked in the face by something heavy.

But yes, as reaperwithnoname says, there are some Alert maps (all of the indoor part of Museum Heist; Bank Robbery vault; Trainstopping) where there are either no items to be lifted up, or their locations are prohibitively difficult to reach and they be a useful addition to the fight.
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Dockside Dustup is one of the few places in the entire game where Telekinesis was useful.

I'm in favor, though I agree Aesica that there should be a settings option to opt out.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • I am fully okay with such an option.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I suspect adding destructible objects to all maps is a lot of work, and the interface for actually using destructible objects is clunky enough that it's never been a terribly popular option.
  • That's why I was thinking that some reusable objects might be a good idea.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    I know that any objects that can be picked up and/or destroyed will respawn pretty quickly. Dockside Dustup is a good example, where the shipping containers (high EGO TK heaven, I might add!) are arranged along both sides of the pier, if they are destroyed early in the Smash, will respawn before the end of the Smash, so that's less than two minutes.
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg