test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cosmic Greetings!

Hey, my name is Leo Wyld (at least that is the nom de web I've used often online since around the turn of the Millennium). I've played many MMO's, most of the major ones at some point. Champions Online I was interested in since its announcement (partly because I was also a fan of that certain other - late - super hero game). I was also interested in it being ported to Xbox 360 because the computers I end up with tend to be on the lower end. That did not end up happening but I frequented the forums in those days and followed news and I bought the game shortly after launch, anyway. It ended up running rather well on the computer I had then (that was several computers ago) but it didn't hook me enough to keep me paying for a subscription.

When Champions Online went free-to-play, I gave it another chance. Over the following years, I would come and go frequently. One thing that got me to play semi-regularly for months in late 2012 into 2013 was my becoming a (super)fan of a certain space procyonid hero. Rocket Raccoon was going to be added to Marvel Heroes (which was then in Closed Beta). Being a part of that community is largely why I started reading comics and took the reins of his fandom (becoming Raccoonatic Commander). The Closed Beta for that game was somewhat frustrating. One, I was under NDA, so couldn't share my enthusiasm too much. Two, Rocket ended up being the penultimate character added to Beta in April 2013, I joined in October 2012. Three, Closed Beta had these limited testing windows of only a couple hours a couple times a week.

I was itching for my impending Rocket MMO gameplay, and that energy ended up being directed squarely in the direction of Champions Online. With Champions' very in-depth character creator, I could create some approximation of Rocket to play as. Fortunately, there were limitations then, and I usually looked like a small werewolf, or I would have definitely been generic'd. I used the soldier archetype, I took direct inspiration from Rocket for my costume design, and my character was named Rocky - but small werewolf, so never caused trouble. Heh.

I spent a lot of time over that period in the theater doing costume contests. I didn't win often, and that can be frustrating, but I enjoyed the socialization of being a part of that community. Eventually MH released properly and Rocket started to become a mainstay addition for any Marvel game that released. That, along with other MMO's taking my time, pulled me away into a rather sparse on-and-off pattern with Champions.

Still, I checked the game every so often. When I did so in the anniversary month, I saw a news link about a new animals pack. I'd bought a couple over the years in my endeavor to make a better raccoon. Well wasn't I surprised to see that added specific raccoon costume parts! That was enough to really pull me back in!

What's funny is, now, I'm no longer motivated to make a Rocket clone - since I have other games to play Rocket now. Raccoons still being my favorite animal, I still wanted to make one, though. So, I redesigned the costume for a fictional character from my own writing, a partner of a private detective who is a bounty/treasure/monster hunter, a genetically/nanotech enhanced raccoon named Adam "Damage" Cameron (avatar pic). I use the Savage archetype which fits well enough (though daggers/batons might have be better) - Damage does not care for guns.

Damage is a member of the Paragon Dawn supergroup now and I am really having fun. I look forward to sticking around this time, for the foreseeable future. (Who'd have thought... all I needed was a proper raccoon?)

TL;DR - I'm Leo Wyld. Champions Online long-time vet, on again/off again player for years, fan of raccoons, superfan of Rocket Raccoon, habitual costume contest competitor.

My in-game handle is leowyld, as well. I want to close out with a major, mega, cosmic thank you to the developer(s) who made the call to add the raccoon stuff for that anniversary animal pack. (And also thank you to the Rocket clone I ran into in RC who told me the fox tail has a striped option - had not known that)

Comments