test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with synergies for a multi-spec mimic build

I'm a returning player after a long absence, and I'm looking to dive back in on one of my old characters. I really want to put together a mimic-type build, using powers from several different trees, but other than a couple of isolated pairs (like Bestial & Infernal, which are still in the same main tree) I'm having trouble finding synergies between the powers that I can stitch together into a cohesive-feeling build (Hybrid greatly preferred, but being fun to play is of primary importance). I want all of the powers to work together and feel like they mechanically belong, even if they're visually somewhat disparate. Can anyone help provide some advice on this front? Even if not complete builds, just suggestions on trees, keywords, or mechanics that might be prime for this concept would help me focus my search and give me a jumping-off point.

Thanks, heroes!

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,757 Arc User
    The concept is a bit too broadly defined for me to give a build atm, since even multi-set builds have some stipulations.

What sort of themes or powersets do you want to sample from the most? Any attacks or powers that you'd like to include in particular?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    It is typically possible to hybridize together powers that share a damage type and range without much loss of functionality -- the big groups for this are melee crushing (unarmed, might, heavy weapons, some munitions) and melee slashing (MA claws, MA blades, bestial) but there are a bunch of smaller clusters. If you go beyond that you usually want to select a single type for primary dps and the other effects are supportive.
  • Options
    doomaflatchidoomaflatchi Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    flowcyto said:

The concept is a bit too broadly defined for me to give a build atm, since even multi-set builds have some stipulations.

What sort of themes or powersets do you want to sample from the most? Any attacks or powers that you'd like to include in particular?

Hey, I appreciate the help! I was trying not to be too restrictive in my scope, because I didn't know how hard it would be to put synergies together. So, ideally, I'd like something hybrid role (as much as possible, but I suppose lean towards DPS if forced in one direction) with no weapons or obvious gadgets, only 'internal' powers. Maybe some elemental stuff, some psychic stuff, maybe a few Might or MA hits? Probably steer away from summons, too.

Does that appropriately answer your question? I apologize if it's too vague; I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the build structures.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Okay, so no weapons or gadgets- that's a start. How would you primarily like to play? Being in melee, or ranged? You can mix them, but typically ur still deciding to stick to a certain range when dps'ing in a given situation. Say if ur fighting a high-end boss: would you more often prefer to be up in their grill or further back?

Also, on that note, what sort of content would you like to do? AoPM is a good passive for 'do-everything' hybrids, but its typically frowned upon in large-group content, since ur weaker ally aura can clash heads w/ stronger ally auras from Support using the same passive. If you don't want to heal allies and/or be a proper group tank, you may want to stick to being a melee/ranged dps mix (a hybrid, but in terms of range and/or dmg types- not in terms of 'role'), and then you may want a diff passive.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    highjusticarhighjusticar Posts: 140 Arc User
    The Stormbringer passive works for cold, electricity and crushing and a lot of powers do crushing.
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

Okay, so no weapons or gadgets- that's a start. How would you primarily like to play? Being in melee, or ranged? You can mix them, but typically ur still deciding to stick to a certain range when dps'ing in a given situation. Say if ur fighting a high-end boss: would you more often prefer to be up in their grill or further back?

Also, on that note, what sort of content would you like to do? AoPM is a good passive for 'do-everything' hybrids, but its typically frowned upon in large-group content, since ur weaker ally aura can clash heads w/ stronger ally auras from Support using the same passive. If you don't want to heal allies and/or be a proper group tank, you may want to stick to being a melee/ranged dps mix (a hybrid, but in terms of range and/or dmg types- not in terms of 'role'), and then you may want a diff passive.

Again, thank you for the help - it's greatly appreciated!

Honestly, I'll likely spend the vast majority of my time in solo content, queued scenarios, and occasionally public event groups (I don't expect to be pushing a bunch of coordinated end-game content in hyper-organized groups). In terms of range, I think I'd prefer a range-centric hybrid. I'd also be happy to mix in some CC and 'dumb' (untargeted or PBAoE) heals, but I don't want to focus on them. Proper tanking is probably out. So, something DPS focused with mild hybridization into CC/AoE sustain.

There's no particular power that I'm just dying to include. Instead, I want to build around some kind of synergy between my powers - something more than just "hit whatever's off cooldown", or a reason to use each power in its place. Something like "this causes this, which enables that, which in turn empowers this..." I have plenty of characters for tight power themes, but for this mimic concept, I'd like to build around the connected mechanics of disparate powers that work well together.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Hmm.. okay, well there's still tons of possibilities out there. I guess I'll go w/ one I kinda improvised after browsing some of the potentially applicable sets.

Here's a build idea for you that combines diff sets: in AoE you can be an up-close whirlwind of pbAoE that also CCs and debuffs, while for tougher targets you can rely on efficient 100ft maintains for dps at any range.

Lets start off w/ a normal AoPM hybrid build, to be safe w/ buffing all dmg types and giving you some bonus healing, maxHP, CC resist, and extra energy to use. I'll first give you Storm Summoner as a base AoE, since it can suck in enemies and apply Particle Burn (via its advs). Throwing Pillar of Poz on top of that gives you a way to add some extra CC and debuffs to enemies that you vacuum in, and can heal you and any nearby allies a lil. The PBurn adv on Storm Summoner could be further enacted upon via Particle Smash's detonate effect (more dmg per stack of PBurn consumed), and PSmash also has a minor healing and CC/stun adv on top of that. Pillar can also proc the Conjuring EU, which scales w/ Int, and Int PSS also works well w/ Concentration as the toggle and w/ AoPM builds. MSA can ofc work instead of Conjuring as the EU, and that also scales off Int.

Since we're on that track, the Wisp in Infernal is a handy power since its special advs can add a variety of debuffs. We'll go w/ Hexed and Guide (Illumination) here, since those can buff Soul Beam's dmg (whose base dps is boosted by an enchantment like illum and a curse like Hexed). Wisp can also proc Conjuring w/ these advs, and both it and Soul Beam can be used from 100ft, giving you ur long-range single-target dps option. Since you have access to Illumination, you can pair that w/ Ascension's Judgement adv for an AoE heal and dmg proc on top of an Active Offense (dmg and heal boost, also a hold break). I'll also add Conviction for an easy self-heal, and prob at least one AD (Resurgence or r1 MD can be good for dps-hybrids).

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.3.1-25

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Dex: 8, Con: 10, Int: 10, End: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Pillar of Poz (Dizzying Impact, Dilemma)
    Level 6: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Conjuring (or Molecular Self-Assembly)
    Level 14: Storm Summoner (Magnetic, Particle Storm)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Cursed)
    Level 26: Particle Smash (Light Everlasting, Null Value)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Ascension (Judgment)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Battle of Wits (2/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Unfortunately for this build, it appears that Storm Summoner is possibly bugged atm and not procing Concentration via channeling, so until that's changed (if it is).. maybe consider using FotT in MA and gearing more for Dex instead (not ideal, since FotT doesn't buff ranged attacks as well, but it can work for the time being).
    Post edited by flowcyto on
  • Options
    @flowcyto Okay, those combos look really cool! :D

Thank you so much for your help getting started with this. I'll try playing around with this, and see how it feels!
  • Options
    Yea, just to reiterate that I'd take FotT + a Dex focus for now (still using Int PSS). I'm not sure Storm Summoner will be changed to be compatible w/ the standard ranged toggles, but FotT works just fine for the build too.