test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cars, and busses, and trucks. Oh my! (a money maker for Cryptic)

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
I know this has been brought up before, and it's a popular subject because a lot of people want it. It's something Cryptic can monetize and creates a win-win for everyone.

How about including normal cars, busses, trucks, etc. as travel items in the game?

Make them really cheap 'Become' devices that only have ground travel available to them. Sell them for like 100 Zen a piece. You think keys sell well at this price? See how much money you can make with something as popular as this!

These non-combat vehicles would be easy to include as the art assets are already in the game and no 'combat' coding would be required. Treat them as Action Figures that people can collect.

Is your alter-ego a garbage man by day, but a superhero by night? Drive your own garbage truck around the city! Are you a firefighter that is also a superhero? Drive a fire truck! Really like that VIPER cycle with the sidecar and always wanted one to zip around Vibora Bay? Now it can be yours! Want some beater car that you don't care about the paint job? Buy it from Ted's on the Westside.

Want something a little fancier? Check out the auto-mall Downtown for all your sports car needs!

Or how about a custom hog built just for you!

The possibilities are nearly endless as there are a TON of vehicle graphics already in the game (heh, how about owning a hovercraft like the one on Monster Island on the beach near the ARGENT base?) And who cares if the graphics clip going up and down ramps or the wheels don't move (and we can't be seen on them)? They're super cheap! Let us have them!

They would be a great money maker for Cryptic and a cool 'Become' item for folks to use (even if they were only restricted to 'in city' use (Millenium City or Vibora Bay).

Comments

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    They won't make ground vehicles for our use (even as a vanity device). They can barely make the automated ground vehicles work right (and that's a fail a lot, anyway), they've said right out they can't make them work right for the players.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    They would require alot of work, wheels would go throught the ground, It's not a simple as the vehicle we already have. And like said above, they already said that they can't do that with the current engine.

• Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Yeah, the cars and such would clip into the ground whenever approaching hills, they wouldn't automatically tilt. If you notice, our own feet do this. I recall one dev jokingly saying the only ground vehicles that'd be possible would be unicycles.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Yup, I'd love cars and motorbikes for a few of my heroes but devs have aleady said it can't be done right.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    kallethen wrote: »
    I recall one dev jokingly saying the only ground vehicles that'd be possible would be unicycles.
    You know, I'd actually be okay with this.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    *grabs a cold brewski and begins waiting 'great Idea#8573: Monetize and make Wall Crawling and Running On Water travel powers' thread*
    Too bad we can't search the old threads. Would be just easier to link one than explain 'WHY NOT' everytime.

And that Uni Cycle included Spring Shoes super jump.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    They'd basically have to make new tech for it. The current vehicle tech would result in cars that do... odd things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5rjntO4Gw

Of course, Tera has cars... because...reasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfyR6yuYdSY
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    I know a way to make them work, make the vehicles you want into a travel power, bikes, trucks, cars, etc. they can work like a run TP. And when you activate it your toon can be on the bike, or seen in the car if its a convertible.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    they explored that option. the problem is that the car would clip like crazy with everything.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Every "easy, obvious solution" you can think of was tried ( still not sure why people think that something they thought up in ten seconds is something a game developer wouldn't have thought of ). The conclusion is that it would require new tech specifically for those vehicles.

Also I think the unicycle thing was a joke. They said that like almost a year ago I think, and no unicycle.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    darn...
    I didnt know it was that buggy. I have no idea about engines ether so im not sure what their options would be for updating them.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

Cars seem to have a hard time not dipping into the ground when coming up or going down hills and as I understand it this is because objects in this game can only be attached to the ground by a single point (hence why the devs joked about unicycles being the only ground type vehicle that might be possible) Now think about all the terrain types there are in this game and how few nice flat roads there are in zones outside MC. People who get cars and bikes are going to want them to behave like cars and bikes and as pointed out it is simply not going to work on any surface other than a perfectly flat one...and what about turning and accelerating and breaking and all these extra control features that are needed to make it actually feel like you're in a vehicle that is attached properly with all of the wheels touching the ground? It's just not that simple and highly unlikely that it is even possible.

• Options
    shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    The devs would need to update the engine to get proper facing/tilting on inclines. You can see it working properly over on STO and NW.

Unicycles are about the only thing that can work at the moment because their short length and circular shape hide the problem. Maybe pogo sticks as well. Even skateboards (reskinned Energy Slide!) would be pushing the limits.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    Simply put a (big) disclaimer on the purchase box:

Note: These inexpensive vehicles will clip graphically and not perform smoothly visually except on flat terrain. They are intended as cosmetic items to increase movement speed (or as collectables) ONLY. The low purchase price reflects this!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017

Simply put a (big) disclaimer on the purchase box:

Note: These inexpensive vehicles will clip graphically and not perform smoothly visually except on flat terrain. They are intended as cosmetic items to increase movement speed (or as collectables) ONLY. The low purchase price reflects this!

Well it did work with the Hover Vehicles without disclaimer. So it should work with Ground Vehicles.
    they should just do this. Since, money. They would get tons and tons of it.

Or make them as AFs.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yeah and just imagine all the youtube videos ridiculing that one crappy game where the devs released that one horrible unfinished feature that was an obvious money grab with zero effort put in and how nobody should ever play it!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Yeah and just imagine all the youtube videos ridiculing that one crappy game where the devs released that one horrible unfinished feature that was an obvious money grab with zero effort put in and how nobody should ever play it!

This would be my worry too.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Even if they made them available, im sure they would force them to Fly
    Which... will turn basically into this
    https://youtu.be/4A_x4HAuhqI
    spinnytop wrote: »

Are they going to have horrible clickbait thumbnails making horrible O-FACE expressions with many red arrows and circles with Titles [GONE WRONG][GONE SEXUAL]?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    avianos said:

Are they going to have horrible clickbait thumbnails making horrible O-FACE expressions with many red arrows and circles with Titles [GONE WRONG][GONE SEXUAL]?​​

Yes, the video will be titled JAKE PAUL ATTACKS CHAMPIONS ONLINE WITH HIS UNDERAGE FANS [GONEWRONG][GONESEXUAL][NOT CLICK BAIT!!!]
  • Options
    kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2017