test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Somebody help MMOByte

kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
"Champions Online - This MMORPG Has Gotten So Difficult "
VIDEO LINK HERE

What is going on? Is there just a lot of guidance missing in the early levels? How does someone who plays so many games find this so hard?

If anyone sees them in-game, it'd be great to give them some basic tips like:
"wear some gear"
"open with your biggest attack, not your energy builder"
"attack weakest mobs first"

Comments

• magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    They've not slotted most of their basic gear. Or ranked up their powers. Or chosen their passives.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Maybe point them to some How-To-Play Youtube videos....
    I mean these people have played computer/video games before?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    If they think CO is "difficult", I'm not sure that they have played computer video games before...

They'd sure be lost with my latest STO ship. Just got the Vorgon Ryo'Kodan(?) carrier today; along with the usual weapons, it mounts two bays that can launch two frigates each at a time, a console that launches Harasser Probes, a console that launches a Guardian (healing) Probe, a device that launches the (limited number of) Scorpion-class fighters I got from a mission in Romulan space, and another device that can summon my good friends the Nimbosian Pirates (they owe me for freeing their assets from the clutches of the Orion pirate Hassan the Undying at Nimbus III). Oh, and I also have the ability to summon up a set of holographic ships whose weapons do real damage to assist me, and if my hull gets below 50% I can even call in help from Starfleet. Basically, I'll be piloting my own small fleet into combat. I can't imagine a CO build that's going to be as complex to manage as this.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Champions Online has gotten difficult?

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    nepht said:

-snip-

...now i forgot what i was going to say. I couldn't stop laughing at the pic ^^;

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    gradii said:

They were wearing NO gear and were new players who probably didn't know how to block. I can easily see how that made early quests difficult.​​

So the type of player that thinks Roblox is hardcore.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    gradii said:

Nah they ran into that bug which denies players who team for the tutorial starter gear.​​

So the type of player that dies at the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros and rage quits about it.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    For a gaming youtube channel that seems to be all about in-depth analysis on MMO games with their 20 - 30 min videos, you'd think they could afford to put a little more effort into understanding basic game mechanics of this MMO before publishing a video to show how clueless they are.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

I mean these people have played computer/video games before?

jonsills said:

If they think CO is "difficult", I'm not sure that they have played computer video games before..

Their channel is full of video games they've been playing. Lot of subs, etc....and the videos are pretty long. I don't get it. Maybe CO is really complicated for new players and this is what it's like for many of them? Maybe it needs to provide more guidance?
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    A simple search on youtube shows that they have four videos on CO, the earliest one going back 10 months ago and all of them show the player not using any gear, passives or devices.

If they were just starting 10 months ago it would be understandable that they didn't understand these things, considering that their toon level was 6 - 8 to show that they were just starting out.

But their more recent videos, from 2 months to 2 weeks ago, show that they still do not understand these basic mechanics and they're using toons that are still in the level 6 - 8 range, and they're saying that the game has gotten "so difficult"?

It seems to me that it's less of a case of CO being too complicated for newer players to understand, and more to do with the people at MMObyte just not being invested at all with the game to properly learn the ropes, nevermind exploring more of the content at mid to high level ranges while getting the gameplay experience needed to become more proficient players.

What they've been obviously doing is jump into the game from time to time, play it for a few minutes with starter toons each time to "check things out", then stop playing to focus on other games for their channel content. I don't think the video is conclusive example of the game mechanics being too complicated for new players to figure out, because the MMObyte people just aren't bothered to learn.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User

For a gaming youtube channel that seems to be all about in-depth analysis on MMO games with their 20 - 30 min videos, you'd think they could afford to put a little more effort into understanding basic game mechanics of this MMO before publishing a video to show how clueless they are.

Skimming through, they're either your typical anime mmo, or recent western mmo, both of which are full of handholding tutorial. They don't seem to like any of the older western mmo, seeing how they interact with Everquest 1 and 2, and I wouldn't be surprise if their first mmo was WoW.

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Let's be fair, guise. CO is harder in the early levels than it is in the later ones, especially without a defensive passive. Then again, not equipping the starter gear isn't exactly helping their cause, even though they had other things equipped.

Remember, not everybody is spoiled with heirlooms. :)
    gradii wrote: »
    WoW, FFXIV, and most other MMOs are more difficult than CO.
    Those games, and most others, follow the standard difficulty curve--start easy, get hard (giggity). Due to shitty balancing, CO inverts that difficulty curve.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    There comes a point when people need to help themselves before anyone else should do so. There really is no excuse for MMO vets to not understand basic concepts like gear after several attempts at an MMO. Jenny pointed out they have a few CO videos, so I doubt they've encountered that gearing bug every time.

The only thing I might give them is I don't think the leveling system is apparent. I honestly don't remember if the game shows you how to pick your new powers in the field, but I do know that the Powers button on the minimap changes. But, again, I would expect MMO vets to at least wonder and look for their new abilities as they level.

Didn't really watch the video as it basically started with them running past the very obvious glowing thing which has been a standard for "pay attention to me" in many games and aggro a ton of mobs.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    *OMG! OMG I'M DYING!! oh, it's Joker's car*
    Says alot about dedication was put to the game and the playing.
    'We need few bucks for pizza. Let's make a game video' more like it.

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    The early game of CO is so easy you can do it without any gear on.

PS - my favorite part was watching them single target dps with aoes.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    aesica said:

Those games, and most others, follow the standard difficulty curve--start easy, get hard (giggity). Due to shitty balancing, CO inverts that difficulty curve.​​

ROFLMAO, uh, no. It starts easy and gets easier. This game hasn't been hard since its launch day when it was actually hard before they started nerfing the difficulty into the ground.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    I think a lot of their "troubles" was acting. Makes for a more entertaining video, and they're trying to grow their channel. I left them a nice comment thanking them for the publicity ^_^
    edited July 2017
    Huh... they actually played this game a month before too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcSXD27lUM
    Love that title! :D They went astray with a subsequent DCUO video but eh, people make mistakes.
    ROFLMAO, uh, no. It starts easy and gets easier.
    I like how you try to disagree with me, only to turn around and support the point I was making in the following sentence.

KXQiGMZ.jpg

Congratulations. You've earned it.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited July 2017
    aesica said:

I like how you try to disagree with me, only to turn around and support the point I was making in the following sentence.

I always love how you try to disprove a point by claiming I agreed with you. Not in the slightest. I know you think you are a hot slick developer because you copied a website and all, but saying the game is easy and only gets easier is not agreeing with you. But I know you live in bizarro world where up is down and black is white just because you say so. But then again you probably have some loose definitions for things. Who knows maybe it's opposite day that no means yes to you or something, because in the real world easy does not mean hard.

So, you earned this;

Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I have a feeling these poor people don't know how ebs work or how block works or how the whole energy system works in co...I know we all figured it out sooner or later...but tbh the game itself does not d
    o a great job of explaining it all

beezeeze said:

I have a feeling these poor people don't know how ebs work or how block works or how the whole energy system works in co...I know we all figured it out sooner or later...but tbh the game itself does not d

Never seemed to help them int eh past when there were actual tutorials and quests devoted to it either, sadly.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2017

beezeeze said:

Never seemed to help them int eh past when there were actual tutorials and quests devoted to it either, sadly.
    What would you suggest? I mean as ideas for reference for the devs to look over and possibly add to the game.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    I always love how you try to disprove a point by claiming I agreed with you. Not in the slightest. I know you think you are a hot slick developer because you copied a website and all,
    Wow, so hostile. Where are you even getting this nonsense from? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    but saying the game is easy and only gets easier is not agreeing with you.
    F***ing LOL

Actually yes, it is. "Easy and only gets easier" implies an inverted difficulty curve. In the original quote you responded to and even quoted, I literally said this:
    aesica wrote: »
    Those games, and most others, follow the standard difficulty curve--start easy, get hard (giggity). Due to shitty balancing, CO inverts that difficulty curve.
    I mean, I don't know how to spell it out for you at this point. Let's try an abstract approach:

Standard difficulty curve: Starts at x, increases over time. Most games follow this
    Inverted difficulty curve: Starts at x, decreases over time. CO follows this

I'm sure you'll find some way to argue about this as well, but I'm ready!

iqauoRl.gif​​
    I wonder what Spock would say at a time like this to get the rival partys to the negotiation table...

edited July 2017
    CO is easier later on than it is at the start. What an interesting statement. If that were true people wouldn't have been moaning about QWZ, TA, or Cosmics being too hard would they? :D

Though let's be honest, the beginning of the game up to everything pre-endgame stuff is all the same difficulty, since you're basically doing the same thing: running up to a group, aoeing it down, then rushing to the next group. That's why people like me and shewolf were so bored with the content for so very long until they added the fun new endgame stuff, and why certain others have complained nonstop about this weird new content they just can't seem to get their footing in because they're the kind of people who say the start of the game is hard.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    nepht said:

Champions Online has gotten difficult?

I have no silly pic to post but agreed. XD

At endgame sure, a little bit more complex. But early levels??? WTF?!
    edited July 2017
    Let's take a look at that whopping early level difficulty
    https://youtu.be/IMfx6W8Rp2M
    pre-munitions revamp, so no shield on that smg!
    Next they will say Minecraft Story Mode is Souls like :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    nepht said:

Next they will say Minecraft Story Mode is Souls like :D

Minecraft Story Mode is just so hard, man!

...if you never, ever read the text or watch the cutscenes and have no idea how quicktime events work, anyway...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited August 2017
    Actually from watching a playthrough I found out that failing the quicktime events doesn't matter over 90% of the time...you just fail them and the game keeps going. Also the guys in the playthrough didn't pay much attention to anything and it was fine... So yeah, reading stuff doesn't matter, cutscenes don't matter and quicktime events don't matter... just like dark souls :'D

Here's the playthrough... or as they call it a "failthrough". Eventually they even stop making dialogue choices and just let the game play itself while they talk about whatever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGQkbwm0yHk
    I'm not sure at what point they make the "put the controller down" decision, but I think it's fairly early.
    Post edited by spinnytop on