test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it just me, or are people a lot more hostile on the forums now?

eva1988eva1988 Posts: 183 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
I remember a long time ago when things were kept relatively civilized; now it seems people just attack people for their opinions instead of arguing the opinion itself..Or was it always like this and i'm just misremembering?

Maybe i was just discussing something particularly unfavorable; but everything seemed to be going fine until they discovered that i'd at some point during my life made contact with PVP....

Comments

• Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    A lot of people are on edge for various reasons, but I dont think it has anything to do with the game itself. Its mostly RL issues spilling into the forums as a way for everyone to vent. So if you find yourself being snapped at, give them space and allow them to cool off...just dont take it personal, or try to consul them on it.

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Who the **** are you calling hostile, huh?!? :angry:

:wink:

Some folks just have... issues. Don't sweat it.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    On the other hand, sometimes people are just arguing the content of the conversation and certain people take it personally because their "big amazing idea" turned out to be uninformed and unpopular. If you're going to put your ideas out there publicly, then you need to learn to not take it personally when people criticize what you've put out there. Don't play the victim just because nobody liked your idea, or because they pointed out that what you're saying doesn't make sense or appears uninformed. "People didn't agree with me so there's some sort of social problem here" <--- don't be that guy.

And before you claim that there was some "team" that was picking on you, you should realize that several people who usually vehemently disagree with each other were all on the same page in telling you that your ideas were off the mark.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    "Oh man, I can't wait until I unveil my ideas that have a heavy PvP bias to them!"

"What do you mean you people don't like PvP "balance" in your PvE game?! OBVIOUSLY the problem here is ALL OF YOU and the HOSTILITY!"

• Options
    edited July 2017
    spinnytop said:

On the other hand, sometimes people are just arguing the content of the conversation and certain people take it personally because their "big amazing idea" turned out to be uninformed and unpopular. If you're going to put your ideas out there publicly, then you need to learn to not take it personally when people criticize what you've put out there. Don't play the victim just because nobody liked your idea, or because they pointed out that what you're saying doesn't make sense or appears uninformed. "People didn't agree with me so there's some sort of social problem here" <--- don't be that guy.

And before you claim that there was some "team" that was picking on you, you should realize that several people who usually vehemently disagree with each other were all on the same page in telling you that your ideas were off the mark.</p>

Well, it wasn't my opinion being criticized, it was me. I was being criticized because i was suggesting something that could've been interpreted as PVP oriented.

I have no issue with people criticizing the argument, but it is just childish when it turns into personal attacks; which that last thread did.

Let me say this again : I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. I also don't particularly mind if they do want to attack me personally (well, as long as it remains word based attacks that is).

And i'm not "Playing the victim", i'm simply asking if the forums seem more hostile than usual...

There seems to be a habit of people interpreting things that simply aren't being said...Like, in that other thread people were suggesting everything i was saying was coming from a purely PVP perspective; now i'm being interpreted as "playing the victim" for simply asking a question.

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Been the same people for years in here...so it's the same.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It was actually that people were pointing out that it was obvious to them that this was just a PvP thing for you. People around here are very on point about squashing any sort of "Mess up PvE for the sake of PvP" shenanigans. Also people were pointing out that it seemed like you didn't have much experience with many aspects of the game, because your suggestions made it seem that way. Either you don't know much about other parts of the game, or you don't care about how your effects suggest them... either one isn't going to win you much praise around here.

Now sure Baelog was being Baelog. But what's surprising about that?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    spinnytop said:

It was actually that people were pointing out that it was obvious to them that this was just a PvP thing for you. People around here are very on point about squashing any sort of "Mess up PvE for the sake of PvP" shenanigans. Also people were pointing out that it seemed like you didn't have much experience with many aspects of the game, because your suggestions made it seem that way. Either you don't know much about other parts of the game, or you don't care about how your effects suggest them... either one isn't going to win you much praise around here.

Now sure Baelog was being Baelog. But what's surprising about that?

Oh, to me it seemed like people were so afraid of having their builds brought in line that they'd argue for keeping the powers broken; afterall, self preservation is human nature, it isn't surprising that they'd act in that way, nor is it easy to go against it.

I don't recall a single point i made in the last thread that was actually refuted; it was just attempts at discrediting me. Everything that was a sound argument i felt i game back with a solid counterpoint. But then it was like people resigned to attacking the argument, and instead resorted to petty name calling.

"Well you obviously don't do comics"

I've done all the cosmics in pretty much every iteration of the game

"You're just trying to get the power changed because of PVP"

I demonstrated powers that are useless in PVP that i'd categorized as balanced because of their PVE utility.

Now we have :

"You don't seem very experienced with the game" Forgive me for thinking this.. But to me it always seems like there is some passive aggression behind what you say... But on this i would say :

i'm not the most experienced, but i have been playing since launch, and i've put in a lot of hours, mostly build making and PVP; i would say i know enough to judge when something is over performing by what each power objectively does.

I would say i'm probably one of the most experienced when it comes to PVP, and so seeing power potential in that regard is something i'm likely better than most at (or maybe not, i might just be incredibly stupid, and so that hinders my capacity to judge, not something i'm ruling out by any means). To a lesser degree am i experienced at judging PVE power potential, however, i've still been playing since 2009, and i'd still say i'm atleast above average in terms of my experience in PVE.

I mean, there are a few people who i'd trust to know better than me on this particular subject who are very experienced, and know a lot more than me about the game..People who i know are pretty detached from getting caught up in the idea of preserving their own build..

Overall i think you shouldn't take someone's experience into account when they present an argument, because the experience of a player doesn't invalidate an argument; if the point the person is arguing is true, it doesn't matter how much experience they have. And the point i was arguing was that i felt some ultimates vastly over perform in comparison to others when looked at via what they objectively do.

If i were to go back and do it again, i'd likely separate how useful ultimates were in PVP and PVE; since that seemed to be the main point of contention.

• Options
    eva1988 said:

Oh, to me it seemed like people were so afraid of having their builds brought in line that they'd argue for keeping the powers broken; afterall, self preservation is human nature, it isn't surprising that they'd act in that way, nor is it easy to go against it.

Considering that many of the people you were arguing with were actually the people constantly getting accused of wanting powers nerfed, I find your train of thought amusing.
  • Options
    "Considering that many of the people you were arguing with were actually the people constantly getting accused of wanting powers nerfed, I find your train of thought amusing."

Given how many powers i covered, it was to be expected there would be many disagreements. Most threads i see of that nature usually just cover one power at a time; and to be honest, that would've probably been a smarter move as i'd have given myself less work overall; and been able to focus more thoroughly on one power at a time instead of tackling them all at once.

• Options
    eva1988 said:

mostly PVP
    It's not PVP bias

I would say i'm probably one of the most experienced when it comes to PVP
    It's not PVP bias

In PVP
    It's not PVP bias

Why is it a problem talking about PVP?
    It's not PVP bias

That includes PVP
    It's not PVP bias

Frequently PVPs
    It's not PVP bias

It's not PVP bias
    It's not PVP bias
    It's not PVP bias...

• Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    As far as I know, the forums are still moderated by the same volunteers that were picked years ago. If those players decide to take a vacation because moderating for free blows, then we get what we have now. We can all get pretty snippy with each other and not have posts be deleted. It probably not personal, it's just people on the Internet are jerks. Especially when no one is going to moderate their post for decency.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    sterga said:

As far as I know, the forums are still moderated by the same volunteers that were picked years ago. If those players decide to take a vacation because moderating for free blows, then we get what we have now. We can all get pretty snippy with each other and not have posts be deleted. It probably not personal, it's just people on the Internet are jerks. Especially when no one is going to moderate their post for decency.​​

Yeah, there are at least a couple here who probe for weaknesses to see what they can get away with. They crave the conflict...even today I was forced to flag a couple posts of a couple people trying to derail another one of my threads. It shouldnt have had to come to that, but they demanded last word on it so maybe that will satisfy them and they will leave it alone now. (crosses fingers)

But being the internet there is always going to be that tension, it might not even be about the game when they crow. It could just be people trying to show off. lol

Post edited by catstarsto on

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Moderating has been very selective...Unless you are me and I get moderated (complete with email warning) all the time while others fling insults back and forth for days.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2017

Yeah, there are at least a couple here who probe for weaknesses to see what they can get away with. They crave the conflict...even today I was forced to flag a couple posts of a couple people trying to derail another one of my threads.

I notice that a number of your posts on that very thread were removed by moderators.

Hypocrisy much?

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    It's you.
    I'm the same son of a *itch since 2008.
    (BOOYAH!!6,901st Post!)
    And i don't PVP.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options

Yeah, there are at least a couple here who probe for weaknesses to see what they can get away with. They crave the conflict...even today I was forced to flag a couple posts of a couple people trying to derail another one of my threads.

I notice that a number of your posts on that very thread were also removed by moderators.

Hypocrisy much?

With the disruptions removed there was no need for em, so its not hypocrisy, its helping me to put my thread back on topic. They did a great job, thanks mods.

The fun can continue....

• Options

Hypocrisy much?

>RPs the Goddess Britannia in-game.
    >Doesn't support Britain regaining it's Sovereignty from the EU.

• Options
    edited July 2017

>RPs the Goddess Britannia in-game.
    >Doesn't support Britain regaining it's Sovereignty from the EU.

1) I don't, and have never, RPed in any MMO.

2)I haven't made any serious comment either for or against Brexit here or in-game.

Nice try ;)
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options

1) I don't, and have never, RPed in any MMO.

2)I haven't made any serious comment either for or against Brexit here or in-game.

Nice try ;)

>Profile full of character information
    >Has decried Brexit in-game several times

Go on lad, give us another.
  • Options

Go on lad, give us another.

I don't need to, sonny.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,092 Cryptic Developer
    Closing this thread as it isn't going anywhere productive.​​
This discussion has been closed.