test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Professional Wrestling?

Is there any Champions lore regarding professional wrestling, such as promotions or arenas or the like? I've got a toon that is a former wrestler turned hero and I always like to tie them into the world if I can.

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Nothing that mentions specific wrestlers, leagues, or promotions (with one exception which I'll detail below). Professional sports are more or less the same on Champions Earth as they are in the real world, in terms of leagues, teams, and practices. There are no official public sports like wrestling which employ superhumans. In fact, people with super powers are banned in North America and many other jurisdictions from playing most sports. No few official heroes and villains were athletes who were banned from competition when it was discovered they were superhumans. There have been a few attempts to create all-super sports leagues for wrestling or football, but they failed for lack of enough supers with the requisite powers interested in competing.

There is an underground illegal pit-fighting circuit, called "the Arena," which operates in several American cities. It mostly employs low-powered superhumans, although sometimes a "name" supervillain will participate for a big payday.

As for the exception I mentioned, the Mexican tradition of lucha libre masked wrestler competitions is alive and well on Champs Earth. During the 1950s and '60s the most famous luchadore, known as "El Espectro," fought crime and monsters with the aid of his magic silver mask, while continuing to defend his championship. ;)
  • ericrightshow82ericrightshow82 Posts: 582 Arc User
    Great, thank you for the info! I love getting to know and getting a feel for the Champions universe. The backstory for my character involved being a wrestler until he is banned when a drug test reveals that he has mutant levels of testosterone, so this ties in perfectly!