test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold to silver freeform

Checking in on the game after a couple of years, I was wondering: do Cryptic/PWI have any plans of actually enabling Gold-to-Silver freeform conversions?

I'm probably going to give the game/company the finger if I can't reactivate my old main without a subscription, which does sound somewhat less profitable than my giving them $50...

Comments

• morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    To the best of my knowledge, there is neither any way to do this, nor any indication that it might become possible in the near future.

That said, if you're looking at being willing to pay $50 for one freeform character, it might be worth considering waiting for the next time lifetime subscriptions go on sale... (Then again, it also might -not-; I know there are players out there who make one character and then have no interest in making more. I don't understand them, really, but I know they exist.)
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    If you're going for a freeform slot, wait until they go on sale--usually something like 50% off. That way, you can bag one for around $25, which is much more reasonable than the hefty $50 pricetag they normally have.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    morigosa said:

That said, if you're looking at being willing to pay $50 for one freeform character, it might be worth considering waiting for the next time lifetime subscriptions go on sale...

Not really. But I guess PWI/Crypitc are too greedy and/or stupid to get how someone with too limited time for the game to make a big subscription worthwhile might want to keep on playing that favorite toon from way back when for fun and, well, fun, mostly? Only reason I can think of for still not having solved that after all these years.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    You say "solved" like it's a problem for them. I doubt this service would get used that much. I totally understand why you wish it existed, but from Cryptic's POV that feature would probably be more work than it was worth.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure it would - this isn't an uncommon question. Neither is "I just bought a freeform slot, how do I apply it to my existing character?"

That said, I certainly can't claim to know what sort of coding nightmare trying to resolve this might unleash, so it's possible for it to be more work than it's worth almost regardless of how much use it'd get.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Yes, being able to convert a character to freeform is a pretty common request, so I have to assume it's technically challenging.
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Yes, being able to convert a character to freeform is a pretty common request, so I have to assume it's technically challenging.

Unless it is technically impossible, they really had a lot of time to work it out. That question is exactly as old as the introduction of freeform slots.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    thearkady said:

Unless it is technically impossible, they really had a lot of time to work it out. That question is exactly as old as the introduction of freeform slots.

It's not technically impossible (given sufficient programmer-hours), but it it likely unfeasible.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    There already IS a code function that does something similar. When you go LTS, you have to convert your characters. But... this completely erases all skill choices. Also, it's tied into the LTS thing. It's not converting to a regular freeform.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • However, getting Freeform for Silver players costs 5,000 zen. It would take 2-2.5m questionites to refine... (8,000 refined a day).
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    'Free For All, Not All For Free'.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!