test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Destroids Rise Again! - Revamped Open Mission (Downtown, MC)

Hey all,

I'm curious...what are YOUR thoughts surrounding this recently updated Open Mission?

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I'm curious what happens in a month...

But as of right now, it's a fun thing to enjoy.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Some things were not thought out well.

You have a boss that needs a tank and everyone that is melee basically needs to cluster behind the boss. There is also a ballerina death move. Players can bump into thing. So, screwing over melee didn't change.

This OM is not going to scale down once people stop caring. The only thing that might extend the life of this thing is that it's in MC where too many people hang out. I haven't played enough to know if the rewards are stingy or not, but if they are, even being in MC isn't going to save this. The other two OMs are in shanty zones with stingy rewards.

Outside of that, not terribly exciting. But all of the combat in CO is either unexciting or extra annoying, so at least it's not the latter. Being on the boring side doesn't help getting out of the way for FAWs. It's so easy to stop paying attention. Probably different for the tank and healer, but you don't need more than one set for each Mega D.

That device thing. Too. Much. Health. It's annoying. Then mobs respawn and you have to waste time dealing with them or get over-run. Phalax Commanders aren't too bad with their extra-extra HP. A bit annoying, but they don't do anything I need to pay attention to.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • blattusblattus Posts: 7 Arc User
    Oh, don't worry, the rewards are (as usual) stingy. Just did a run where I participated in every phase, hit every Phalanx Commander and Whatchamacallit Machine, then poured on the DPS to a Destroid... and got a totally thrilling piece of green trash. Maybe I'll bother with it again, maybe not. /shrug

On the plus side, we can now buy hot dogs, so there's that.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    There is a no credit bug, I ranked in the top 11, got no credit for the daily, got a green reward. The no credit thing is really annoying.

The mega destroid has a auto kill (fire all weapons) with no wire tells, that will kill you through blocks, he retains the lightning attack, but at his feet you can't tell he's continuing the attack. The good old electrical aura might help with that. Also, I've done it 8 or 10 times now, and haven't gotten anything cool, so for me, the drop rates don't seem that great at the moment.

Other then that, it seems like a cool revamp. I worry about people just looking to do the peacekeeping mission though, seems like the window of opportunity for them is pretty narrow.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I played it once, enjoyed it - I did get killed once but prudent blocking after that made it no more difficult to participate in than the old Destroid mission. Where once you lost 50% of your HP if you didn't block, now you die, which is how CO goes these days. Rewards seemed plentiful, to be honest; there seemed to be the daily reward plus three or four other bits and bobs of various utility.

We will see how it goes when interest dies down - although I can see it just being a regular "Thing to do...", same as it ever was.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I pretty well enjoy it for what it is. I'm not the sort that frets over much about dying and respawning and the respawn points are reasonably close by. Rewards seem reasonable for the time involved.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Do the Mega D's have a NttG attack? If not, melee could fly near the Mega D's face to fight. That would solve some of the melee issues.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "Rewards seem reasonable for the time involved."

If the other OMs are any indication, the special rewards are super stingy to drop. I used Frog OM to level a character with for ~10 levels, plus I've used several other characters to solo it. Only gotten a decent drop (costume bit) once. I don't think I've ever gotten anything good from ASCII's OM outside of the mods which aren't rubbish.

For as long as it takes to do the entire OM, I could have chained a bunch of smashes for a lot more globals. Or I could go through the Warzone dailies for more SCR and Questionite. Basic rewards seem kinda "meh" and the unique drops are probably just as unlikely as the other updated OMs that no one does.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    Haven't done it, and won't bother with it

0% Interest
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    At least I can't walk in and solo it anymore. Rewards are good, the fight itself is good as well. The rest of the open mission being more threatening is nice as well, even though the objectives themselves haven't changed. This is a solid update to the OM, though we will have to see how things turn up later when the update starts losing its charm.

Can't wait to see what they do to the one in City Center. Or to Raptor Rush.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    I had a lot of fun with it, sometimes it gets super annoying though, when people don't wait for the proper amount of people to show up before starting.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    nbkxs said:

I had a lot of fun with it, sometimes it gets super annoying though, when people don't wait for the proper amount of people to show up before starting.​​

That may be part of the issue: this is a permanent Open World event. If the "proper amount of people" is more than a single team of five (whose teamwork is crippled because TEAM UP doesn't actually make proper teams), then the event is probably overtuned.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

That may be part of the issue: this is a permanent Open World event. If the "proper amount of people" is more than a single team of five (whose teamwork is crippled because TEAM UP doesn't actually make proper teams), then the event is probably overtuned.

There's plenty of permanent open world content that requires more than a team of 5. Personally I think there should be some player count scaling (if nothing else, so it isn't impossible during off hours), but being tuned for twenty players isn't inherently unreasonable.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I kind of miss he 20+g reward before the revamp. The thing I hate the most about the fight is the yellow knock/repel aoe. It randomly flings anyone far away if they weren't blocking for like 3 secs.

Haven't gotten a good drop either. Not really that bothrred but it would be nice to sell something.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    Gave it another chance... got another piece of green junk. #FoolMeTwice #ShameOnMe
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    It's a nice fight. Much lower difficulty then cosmics, but not so easy that you can't die even if you don't pay attention at all. The rewards are also pretty nice.

A few things to consider during the fight.
    • If you're melee don't hug the Mega Destroyer's legs while he's doing the FAW attack. You can be hit even behind them if you push up against them.
    • Blocking and walking against the repel can reduce it's strength far more than it does for other repels.
    • The big yellow pbAoE maintain does not do any animation when it's finished, the stance and wireframe end much later than the damage ticks. But it has 9 damage ticks so you can just count.
    • The minimum range between the two MDs has to be 200 feet. Pulling them much further has no advantages, and makes it slower for the dps and healers to switch between them.
    • Having the MDs stand near objects (statues, walls, etc) or under trees, can make the fight a lot more difficult for the dps. Tanks would do well to pull the MDs to a spot with enough open space around them.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    I think it's poorly designed, those who don't play during 'peak' hours or when certain people aren't around/wanting to help chances are the OM will fail.

There are too many mobs around the retribution devices, especially when it's late at night and there might be 5-6 people willing to help with the OM. (Unless of course those 5-6 people manage to get to the final stage, then you can expect more to show up because they no longer have to do any work.)
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    The Gadroon open mission revamp left me feeling underwhelmed, as it was too easy (at the very least, it could have done with having a boss fight at the end).

The Destroid Rising revamp was a lot better and more satisfying, though I do feel that it's perhaps on the too difficult end as it seems to require a fairly large group of coordinated players. As players move on to focus on the whatever the next event is, I can see this as something that never gets completed due to lack of having that sizable group.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I am also concerned about what happens to the Destroid OM once novelty wears off. The rewards aren't quite high enough to lure people in who have already played it 25+ times. Without it being a limited time event, there is no urgency to play it, either.

The previous version could be played, even back before On Alert, by a group of 5-10 heroes of level 25-30. That isn't true now, making the XP award less of a draw. Nearly all heroes showing up are level 40, and a group of mid-level heroes will just fail.

Maybe in another week, tune the OM down a bit: number of mobs, retribution device health down, lower defenses/health on the Mega Ds.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Posts: 23 Arc User
    Already getting pretty rare to see it successfully completed. Yay for one week of content then dead forever.
    edited June 2017
    Already getting pretty rare to see it successfully completed. Yay for one week of content then dead forever.

Golly Gee, this sounds awfully familiar like Onslaught and Rampage update :smiley:
    and Eidolon :smiley:
    GOLLY :smiley:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    Don't forget "Reign of Frogs". One week and done.

I have a character that the Space Invader title would've been perfect for... but 200 runs? :s
    blattus wrote: »
    Don't forget "Reign of Frogs". One week and done.

I have a character that the Space Invader title would've been perfect for... but 200 runs? :s

Except Reign of Frogs and Asciing for Trouble are incredible SOLO FRIENDLY
    I have 80+ runs on both​​
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I like it. It's way better than the old one. And it's fun that so many people are running it a lot. Unfortunately, I think after the new wears off in another week or so, it is going to be very hard to get a big enough group together to do it. Add a couple GCR to the rewards to make it worthwhile.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    We had about 15-18 people working on it during the last stage last night, and ran out of time. Another 2-3 minutes would have done it for us. Frankly, adjusting the Destroid HP to one 5-man team each will probably ensure this content sees use in the months down the line.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I really like the destroid fight but the device phase is a bit brutal, 2 out of 3 times I participate that is where we fail. Even still I've managed to get the daily done pretty much every day since the revamp was launched and I have gotten lucky on quite a few of the drops as well. I wouldn't call this thing dead, far from it...it doesn't always work out but that is due to bad orginization and things starting up before everyone is ready, when things are set up properly it rarely ever fails.

Unfortunatly not everyone can be around at the right time to get things done, timezones and such have a way of limiting when people can be online to participate.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    avianos said:

Golly Gee, this sounds awfully familiar like Onslaught and Rampage update :smiley:

and Eidolon :smiley:

GOLLY :smiley:​​

Yeah, it's almost like our little community of gamers is really slow to improve and is gonna have to get their stuff together and learn to get things done rather than just complain about everything. GOLLY :smiley:​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    Yeah, it's almost like our little community of gamers is really slow to improve and is gonna have to get their stuff together and learn to get things done other than just complain about everything. GOLLY :smiley:​​

They don't have to do anything, spinny. They can go play other games, or go watch tv, or read a book, or go to the pub or the game or just do something more interesting instead. As they are doing.

I definitely saw a comment upthread where it said that most games make things tricky to begin with (to attract the high-level players) and then ease off (to let everyone else have a go). The CO team doesn't seem to have learned that important lesson... so new content becomes dead content. Which is a shame.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I definitely saw a comment upthread where it said that most games make things tricky to begin with (to attract the high-level players) and then ease off (to let everyone else have a go).

That usually happens without any targeted dev intervention, just a side effect of ongoing gear escalation and people analyzing the encounters and writing up detailed guides. During prime time the mega-Ds are pretty much in farm mode already, people have figured them out, it's just that you don't get a critical mass of players in off hours.
  • layenelayene Posts: 63 Arc User

They don't have to do anything, spinny. They can go play other games, or go watch tv, or read a book, or go to the pub or the game or just do something more interesting instead. As they are doing.

So, then they go and complain in another game's forum for a while. As a frequent MMO hopper I can tell you the complaints are the same no matter where you go. In every game there is a loud contingent on the forums complaining that all the new content is tuned for an elitist minority. However, once that elitist minority writes a guide, everyone is able to farm the content reliably. This is especially true for something as simple as this mission.

I definitely saw a comment upthread where it said that most games make things tricky to begin with (to attract the high-level players) and then ease off (to let everyone else have a go). The CO team doesn't seem to have learned that important lesson... so new content becomes dead content. Which is a shame.

Some AAA titles do that, but more often players write guides and discover strategies to make the content easier. Also, as more players in CO engage in endgame and get better gear, the content will get easier. I've done the Destroid mission plenty of times in the last couple days and the only times I've seen it fail were due to players who started the event before everyone arrived (and once due to a miscommunication regarding Mega D HP levels). I'm not sure what is so "difficult" about the current mission. I've seen it completed with as few as 10 people and I've seen far more successes than failures.

They don't have to do anything, spinny.

Well if they don't care about the rewards of the content then why are they complaining about it to begin with?
  • zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    Er... well, this conversation is as much about Qzone/Eidolon as it as about the Destroid OM. As I said upthread, I like the OM, and I don't have a problem with the difficulty or the rewards. Participation, on the other hand....
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Mill City is the most populated area of the game and its easy to get a large group for this. There are no problems at all with these changes .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited June 2017
    nepht wrote: »
    Mill City is the most populated area of the game and its easy to get a large group for this. There are no problems at all with these changes .

either way I really got burned out from farming Cosmics, Foxbatcon, and Nightmare Invansion event non-stop everyday, kinda getting tired of open world bosses too so I really don't want to deal with this

and I'm afraid that once I get interested in, the hype will die

in any case, i have bought Everything i need from AH (Costumes, emote, Auras, the auras are darn good i have to say) so I dont have to deal with the OM :smirk:

Seriously farming non-stop is not healthy, don't do the same mistakes like I did​​
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    avianos said:

either way I really got burned out from farming Cosmics, Foxbatcon, and Nightmare Invansion event non-stop everyday, kinda getting tired of open world bosses too so I really don't want to deal with this

and I'm afraid that once I get interested in, the hype will die

in any case, i have bought Everything i need from AH (Costumes, emote, Auras, the auras are darn good i have to say) so I dont have to deal with the OM :smirk:

Seriously farming non-stop is not healthy, don't do the same mistakes like I did​​

You know me when do I ever enjoy doing content with others? No chance of me over doing it :3

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    avianos said:

Would you like to run some TA?
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Would you like to run some TA?

As long as it doesn't last 2 Hours like the one I did yesterday morning and I have free time, absolutely​​