test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do most DPS builds nowadays have Con?

shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
Like really, why use Con on a build other than a tank?
|| Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Survability maybe? and not getting one shoted from bosses?
    If you want to make a Glass Cannon, by all means go ahead, but some of us prefer our DPS to have some extra survability and not get melted

just enough to take some extra hits​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Seems like the stat could be used for one that allows more DPS
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Dead don't DPS.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    If the Con is a superstat, then it is feeding DPS as well as health.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Its generally cause there's usually not much to lose by having Con SS'd. Typically for dps, focusing on one dps-related stat that scales most dmg-related things in ur build is more than enough, and its pretty rare a build would really benefit much from having multiple SS devoted purely to energy gen (if you need that, its more likely ur build isn't very well put together). Also cause if you don't make Con and SS's, then the better way to get maxHP is via defense gear w/ the maxHP stat and growth mods, and that's more limited in scope than being able to combine both, and stating Con as a non-SS isn't often ideal. Also cause ES/NM still scales heavily w/ it, and the utility of having a burst dps_hps cd is nice for many builds, and the Con-independent AO options are pretty weak in comparison.

The best argument against it, perhaps (aside from maybe PFF builds that don't necc need Con SS to have a large shield) is if the other two SS's aren't Dex, and you want to boost ur crit a bit. But crit rating and Dex are on the same DR curve for crit%, so even that's a bit dubious over cutting ur maxHP considerably. Energy-hog builds that also want high crit% can suit that bill, but there's other ways too accommodate that w/o axing Con SS.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    To do more damage. Juggernaut + Warden + Vindicator. Force of Will + Guardian + Vindicator. Nimble Mind.

Why just have lots of damage when you can have damage and be beefy enough to tank 90% of the bosses? It's the easiest way to make a broken OP character.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited May 2017
    You pick your primary stat which serves for the DPS (EGO/STR/DEX)
    Then you pick your secondary which serves as Energy managment (END/REC/INT)
    and lastly you pick your third stat that serves as extra survability (CON)

and i usually gear up my DPS to have at least 8000 HP, everything else is focused on DPS and Energy managment
    sterga wrote: »
    It's the easiest way to make a broken OP character.

Well-Rounded*

I'm sorry but super heroes don't usually drop dead within seconds
    sterga wrote: »
    Nimble Mind.
    I'm not relying on Ego Surge for everything because this AO will obviously get nerfed HARD (its bound to happen) and because different characters with different themes, I don't want the darn pink visuals

So don't get attached to it
    gradii wrote: »
    Only reason NOT to take CON as a dps is if you use a super high energy set like power armor or force cascade which requires 2 energy stats.
    Excuse me what? I run my PA DPS with EGO/END/CON and im doing just fine, no need for REC, and definatly no need for Circle of Arcane Power​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Not sure what you mean "nowadays." I've been here since the beginning and, as far as I know, this has always been a thing, at least since "On Alert" dropped, when we got a 3rd SS. Way back when we only had 2 SS's, you could find glass cannons pretty regular, but with 3 SS's, there's almost no reason not to take CON on your DPS.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    so..... when is ES gonna get nerfed? c:
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Simple answer:
    Dps don't want to die when they fail to block enemies' attacks.

However, there are ways to survive w/o relying on con. Like get a bloody threat wipe and/or self-heal.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I see why now :)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Who can say? I'm just curious if all the ES/NM centered characters will get a free retcon?
    naciiito said:

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    I kinda figured it was a PvP FOTM. I tend to go with hybrid builds that are a mix of DPS and survivability where I usually get them to somewhere around 7-9k HP and I've been seeing a lot of melee DPS over the last two months with waaaaaaaay more HP than that. I'm talking more than some tanks have, hovering around the 10-11k point, with a small few that I saw going as high as 12-14k HP.

In PvE, you're kinda gimping yourself at that point since going for that much HP means you're probably running with Con as your primary and you're gonna have to mod in enough Con that it's going to cut into your DPS by virtue of using a non DPS SS as your primary along with reduced secondaries thanks to how much Con you need to mod into your gear as well as DR cutting into how much of a damage bonus you get from your primary. At that point, you might as well switch to hybrid role and use a defensive passive so you can spread your stats out a little more.

While I've never bothered PvPing on this game, I watch them sometimes in RenCen while waiting for alerts to pop and it makes far more sense to go all in on Con that way for a PvP build. Makes it harder for people to spike you down before you can do any significant damage to them and, all you really need then as far as heals go is Resurgence at Rank 3 since very few duels seem to go more than a minute or two anyways.
    lol CO PvP, what a Joke

In PvE you will make a fool of yourself if you overstack CON and not your Damage and Energy stats as a DPS
    and in the end of the day, a DPS for cosmics DOESN'T NEED 15.000 Freaking HP, you can survive with only 8000 if you block and taking care of yourself (like having self heals) or with healer's support
    naciiito wrote: »

Can't tell, obviously when the Telekinesis powerframe get revamped (please buff melee TK blades)

OR when they finally decided to buff the other AOs so they can have equal potential
    Like Electric Sheath, Immolation and Shadow Shroud, I never use those because
    1.Screw you forced aura visuals, I didn't spend so many hours in tailor so you can ruin my characters' costume
    2.They don't give any useful advantage compare to every other AO
    ​​
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Cause I like to live and Contribute then be reminded of the struggle and anguish,
    Cause I find I need that buffer if I make a mistake, too slow, lagged or can't block cause Knocks, holds etc,
    Cause going full damage dedication role(Glass cannon) doesn't outweigh the disadvantages of being squishy.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Most DPS builds have con because most builds in general have con. People don't like dying. Energy efficiency is not difficult enough to achieve that you have to skip taking con.

Whether you take it or not, missed blocks will still kill you so it's not a must-have by any means. Just a nice cushion for people to feel more comfortable.

To deal maximum damage in the endgame you still wouldn't take con, but that's only if you're min-maxing.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    naciiito wrote: »

[Guy Fieri Voice] RIGHT HERE
    NOW ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ​​
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Because people play how they want not how other people want them to play. Its the whole point of freeform. People can do what they want.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    nepht said:

Because people play how they want not how other people want them to play. Its the whole point of freeform. People can do what they want.
    Eh... there's a significant correlation between what people want to do, and what is effective. Having a bit of Con helps a bunch in some content, and doesn't cost you much.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Because the max target cap for most powers is 5, and it isn't that uncommon to get 8-10 enemies trying to kill you. The classic Glass Cannon strategy of "burn them all to the ground before they kill you" doesn't quite work.

Anyone remember the outrage years ago when CoX dropped the max target cap down to 16?
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Eh... there's a significant correlation between what people want to do, and what is effective. Having a bit of Con helps a bunch in some content, and doesn't cost you much.

CO has freeform you going to come up across really epic builds and really trash ones. CO is what it is.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ego surge has no further place in this discussion, or any other discussion about constitution​​
    #LegalizeAwoo