test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20170310.9 - Lockbox/Misc

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited April 2017 in PTS - The Archive
Cybernetic Lockbox
  • Added female versions of costumes.
  • Moved the Cyber Stealth mask to eye accessories.
  • Added Errorlevel Loyal Sidekick.
  • Added preview images to most items.
  • Fixed a bug where the Upload travel device kept you visible to other players.
  • Moved the individual costume unlocks to a reward box, "Cybernetic Costume Box." The chance to get a costume from the lockbox is unchanged.

Reign of Frogs
  • Added preview images to items.
  • Fixed scaling issues for the male Gadroon Box armor costume.
  • Added brushed metal to the armor. Super shiny.
  • Added perks for completing the open mission 1, 25 and 200 times. Hopper, Starship and Space Invader.

Misc
  • Added Dragon Whiskers and Spikes Meandering Calf free costumes.
  • Updated Light Crusher unlock to have a back piece costume.
  • Added 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 10k, 25k and 100k count death perks.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Added Errorlevel Loyal Sidekick.

aww, no MissingNo.?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Added Dragon Whiskers and Spikes Meandering Calf free costumes.

​​
    Small thing, but I've wanted these on several toons for ages.
    Yay!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • gradii wrote: »
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Added Errorlevel Loyal Sidekick.

aww, no MissingNo.?

Maybe they're afraid of lawsuits from the creators of pokemon?

isn't kaiserin the one with the MissingNo. character? pretty sure it was him/her

i don't think any company will trademark something that was never intended to be an actual thing and only came about through trickery with limited-by-technology coding​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    The Cybernetic Costume Box can be traded, which is something.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • thunderlakethunderlake Posts: 28 Arc User
    Feels like I was one of the very few who actually liked the individual costume unlocks, but oh well.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Wonder what kind of content is being planned that would get you the 100k death perk.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    I hope we see X amount of Ressurection perk/titles next, and necromancer better be one of them​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    I can confirm that that 1K through 5K death perks work.
    Got them as soon as I logged on.

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Added Dragon Whiskers and Spikes Meandering Calf free costumes.
    ​​

Thanks for these.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I opened 100 of the lockboxes and received multiples of all the costume pueces.

I did notice that the cybernetic gloves are using the art assets from the cybernetic claws. Not sure if that is intentional. Still not hugely happy with this system, but at least the blind packing of costume pieces will hopefully reduce claims that certain costume pieces are more rare than others.
    Post edited by thelastsonofzod on
  • sekhmet46sekhmet46 Posts: 175 Arc User
    Ugh, thought Errorlevel's "energy claws" mentioned in the description were gonna be a sneak peek of a new powerset. Would've been nice. :(
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User

but at least the blind packing of costume pieces will hopefully reduce claims that certain costume pieces are more rare than others.

Um... it literally changes nothing... They simply moved them to a box within a box... they are still unlocked one at a time... and once again, despite them having the same drop rates, it is inevitable that some parts will be acquired less often. Someone posted a test with 100 of the new version on the old thread and it seemed to mirror my results of getting a large number of some parts and coincidentally the 2 parts I never saw in my previous 100 lockbox test were among the parts they never saw with their 100 lockboxes.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited April 2017
    It does, as far as having them be a random drop from a separate box. It will hopefully stymie the inevitable claims that certain costumes are rarer than others.

Your experience may vary from mine, but I have had countless arguments in zone and trade from people claiming that 'this' costume set is more rare than 'that' one as a drop from lockboxes.

When they are drop from the same item though, it's a much harder claim to make.
    I don't think the rarity is an issue, if all pieces have the same chance, and there are thousands of boxes opened.

The issue, more likely, is that some parts will be desirable, and some won't. The less desirable ones will seem more common, as they will get dumped onto the AH.

It does, as far as having them be a random drop from a separate box. It will hopefully stymie the inevitable claims that certain costumes are rarer than others.

Your experience may vary from mine, but I have had countless arguments in zone and trade from people claiming that 'this' costume set is more rare than 'that' one as a drop from lockboxes.

When they are drop from the same item though, it's a much harder claim to make.

No, it really doesn't... while technically according to the system code they all share the same rarity, what it ultimately comes down to is the supply that is actually available to the playerbase after opening. People will quickly find in the first few days that certain peices are turning up more frequently than others, despite the programmed drop rates. This happened last time they tried splitting costumes like this as well.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, people have a misconception of probability. Probability is not the measure of how often something will happen, its the measure of how likely it is to happen. 10% probability is never truely 10%, its always approximate, and when you have multiple things with the same probability and only one can occur at a time, its inevitable that the results wont actually reflect the probability. Flipping a coin for example, I have a 50% chance for heads and a 50% chance for tails, if I flip it 10 times Ishould have close to 5 of each right? One might think so, but, its only really a 50% chance per flip, so I can get 9 heads and 1 tails and its still a 50% probability. Does this mean tails is rarer than heads? Technically no, but the supply would claim otherwise. Its entirely possible that whats rare today is common tomorrow, but its equally likely that tomorrow their are even fewer in comparison than today?
    jniKqKJ.png
  • mutantmaidsmutantmaids Posts: 118 Arc User
    Not seeing the female version of the buttcape, unless I have to go back in and re-get the costume pack.
    edited April 2017
    I understand how probability works, that is not, nor has it ever been my concern. My concern is players conflating the rarity of costume pieces under the false premise that Cryptic intentionally made them more rare.

Having them in their own separate box eases this situation slightly because it demonstrates that Cryptic puts them at an equal priority. Contrast this to the Viborg Bay costume pieces, which despite having an equal drop chance, had some players thoroughly convinced that some items dropped less commonly.

My concern is not statistical in nature, it is psychological.
  • frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
    2 things
    please do not go down the individual route, this didn't work before and will not be popular now!
    also, the drop rate for travel powers are way too low. imo they should be set around the same rate as powers
    May I suggest that the device travels should have a lower chance rate than the unlock, as the device is a bonus travel power, where the unlock is to be used as one main form of travel for a character
    my 2 cents done
    edited April 2017

I understand how probability works, that is not, nor has it ever been my concern. My concern is players conflating the rarity of costume pieces under the false premise that Cryptic intentionally made them more rare.

Having them in their own separate box eases this situation slightly because it demonstrates that Cryptic puts them at an equal priority. Contrast this to the Viborg Bay costume pieces, which despite having an equal drop chance, had some players thoroughly convinced that some items dropped less commonly.

My concern is not statistical in nature, it is psychological.

And as I stated... the issue won't change... the exact same claims came about with the old Grab Bag costumes as well despite them also having identical drop rates. The system relying so heavily on probability created an artificial rarity to some items. Even though the parts all had the same drop rates, some truly did drop more often. The same is also true of the Vibora Bay costumes parts... back before On-Alert I farmed VB costumes on a regular basis, from my own experience I had obtained about 3x as many New Shadows Boots as Waist Capes, Only ever saw ONE drop from DoGz after over 10,000 kills, And the ONLY things I've ever gotten from Sovereign Sons has been Voodoo Body Paint and Belts... Months of farming, with only a few of their costumes parts to show for it... The parts may all share a drop chance, but some parts do factually turn up more often than others. It's not a result of different drop chances, quite the contrary, it's the result of probability on shared drop chances.

I've had devs on a few other games explain how their drop tables work, and so far I haven't been able to get an answer about how CO's works. BUT, I am reasonably certain it's not much different than the rest, considering out of the 5 games I've gotten to know how they work for, 4 of them all function the same way... How those 4 all work is as follows: The system generates a random number to determine drop rarity, it then generates another random number to determine the item or item type on the corresponding rarity table, if the result is a specific item it returns that as the drop, if it's an item type it does another RNG to determine which item in yet another table is the drop. Often times items with higher "drop rates" are assigned multiple numbers on the drop table. Some devs assign items a range of numbers, others assign a random set. Both methods tend to result in actual drop rates that don't quite reflect their intended drop rate. The table could be numbered 1-10 with 10 different items on it, and even though all 10 items have the same drop rate, it's very possible that one of them items might only ever drop once out of every 300 attempts. It's not intended and the statistics say it shouldn't happen, but it can and it does. It's actually a surprisingly common problem. WoW for example, uses this very system, and the devs have talked before in the past about items being rarer in actuality than they are intended to be due to just pure chance with how the system works, they have sometimes increased the drop rate of some items that are rarer than intended to try and get them to actually drop closer to the intended rate.

Put simply, if the drop box previously had 4 options on the first table (green, blue, purple, gold) at different values, and the Purple had a few different options (emote, device, Cybernetic Costume, Beast Costume, Stealth Costume). All this change did was split tables for each individual part off of the drop box and add it to a separate box. Nothing really changed.
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited April 2017
    You are confusing statistics with psychology. Probability is a set and unwavering factor, which is only mitigated by altering the math. Psychology is about the inherent trust that players put into the game they play. I feel that putting the costumes in boxes present them better to the community, and thus is a positive change.

This is purely an aesthetic choice and has no real impact on droprates. It is also inheritantly subjective decision, and will be up to the individual player to rule on.

Stop arguing with my opinion and move on.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    aiqa said:

Wonder what kind of content is being planned that would get you the 100k death perk.

A pvp update, ha!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    The last major pvp update bombed spectacularly. (That would be OnSlaught.) Plus, I don't think most people give a toss about PvP. But hey, why not make the next lockbox clown themed? I don't think we've ever had that before.

It doesn't matter if anyone thinks the new box is more of a scam than the old ones. It only matters if the key sales change. If most players show they don't agree with you by spending just as much money on keys or more, then this will be the new standard. Would have been nice to know if the full set will be in the collector's store of if it will only be the pieces.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    sterga wrote: »
    The last major pvp update bombed spectacularly. (That would be OnSlaught.) Plus, I don't think most people give a toss about PvP. But hey, why not make the next lockbox clown themed? I don't think we've ever had that before.

Clowns have more dignity than CO's PvP Community​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    The Cybernetic Boots are way too long, the kneepad goes above the knee. Just like in the Arcane Mage Boots.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    sterga said:

It doesn't matter if anyone thinks the new box is more of a scam than the old ones. It only matters if the key sales change. If most players show they don't agree with you by spending just as much money on keys or more, then this will be the new standard. Would have been nice to know if the full set will be in the collector's store of if it will only be the pieces.​​

Unfortunately, the key sales are likely to go up despite the popular opinion. Its for the same reason that lockboxes are even successfull to begin with despite the fact that most people despise them. They are the only way to obtain the new items, and people will begrudgingly buy thekeys to open them. Additinally, by splittng the costumes up like this they also increase the number of keys required to get the full set. According to various tests, the average numbr of keys required for the full costume is between 2 to 3 times more than previous lockboxes. So if people wish to get the full costume then it stands to reason that key sales are likely to nearly double during he run of this lockbox. If key sales are used as the meassure of success for this "experiment" then it will undoubtedly be viewed as a success despite the public opinion of it.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • thunderlakethunderlake Posts: 28 Arc User
    raighn said:

Unfortunately, the key sales are likely to go up despite the popular opinion. Its for the same reason that lockboxes are even successfull to begin with despite the fact that most people despise them. They are the only way to obtain the new items, and people will begrudgingly buy thekeys to open them. Additinally, by splittng the costumes up like this they also increase the number of keys required to get the full set. According to various tests, the average numbr of keys required for the full costume is between 2 to 3 times more than previous lockboxes. So if people wish to get the full costume then it stands to reason that key sales are likely to nearly double during he run of this lockbox. If key sales are used as the meassure of success for this "experiment" then it will undoubtedly be viewed as a success despite the public opinion of it.

That's assuming everyone wants the entire set. personally, I just opened a handfull of boxes until I got one costume part and then traded it for the only one I really wanted (and if I want more I can by them cheaper of the AH since the individual parts seems to go for less than an entire costume set), so I ended up using less keyes than normally.
  • opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    I like that the costume unlocks are separate. It made it so much easier to get all the pieces I wanted.
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    BBCode:
    Bug
    Where it happens: Cybernetic Bracers
    What happens: Doesn't have the listed materials Cloth, Leather, Metal, Ice, Holo Hex, Psionic, Glass, Shadow
    ​​
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
This discussion has been closed.