test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Get your character drawn in a community group picture! NOW!

Comments

• Sounds like a tall order - best of luck!
  • pallas0001pallas0001 Posts: 157 Arc User
    Bumping this thread - its been five weeks since the last update. Anyone seen Mr. Smackwell? :)

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I haven't seen him in game for quite awhile now. Real life intervening? Computer died? Lost interest in CO?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Hey guys, I'm actually in-game right now to get some screenshots of some costume pieces since I'm working on more sketches now!

Sorry for the big gaps in updates, it's a lot of real life happening and can't often get enough time to sit down to work on this thing. Definitely haven't lost interest in the game, I still pop in to unwind and do a cosmic here or there but that's really all I have time for most of the time. I'll be posting an update on the sketches soon. Right now my work files are a mess so it'll take a bit to tidy them up for a screenshot. At the moment I'm working on 1 out of the last 4 characters. I'm going to post an update when the next two are done, since the last two after that require the background to be in place before I go forward with them (big guys that will be "in the background".

Stay tuned!
    (And thanks for the massive patience!)

PS: I've been thinking about the length this thing is taking and I'm super not happy with it, as I'm sure a lot of you are too. I was thinking there might not be any more of these posters on deck until things calm down, but I think I've come up with a way to do things to make it more fair to everyone even if there is long delays; player posts shots of their character, I post the price (some of these guys with lots of armor or other details take waaaay longer than the regular tights hero, so I basically end up spending twice to three times as much on them) at about 10 to 25 buck maybe?, then accept payment for just that one character, character gets fully rendered with colors, is provided to the player in its own file, and added to the poster. Then repeat as necessary. I really wish I'd done it this way from the start.

Anyhoo, back off to work I go!
    biffsig.jpg
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Best of luck getting things back in order, Smackwell. We'll still be here when you've got it all said and done.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    I think the most important question is: is Biff Smackwell going to be in the final image?
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Who do you think we are fighting??

He will be running with a marker in his hand
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Pretty obviously a cosmic level villain needs to be lying on the ground, utterly defeated, in the face of all that super-heroic might!

Equally obviously, the sequel to this poster is one showing all the Nemeses to these heroes.
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited February 2017

PS: I've been thinking about the length this thing is taking and I'm super not happy with it, as I'm sure a lot of you are too. I was thinking there might not be any more of these posters on deck until things calm down, but I think I've come up with a way to do things to make it more fair to everyone even if there is long delays; player posts shots of their character, I post the price (some of these guys with lots of armor or other details take waaaay longer than the regular tights hero, so I basically end up spending twice to three times as much on them) at about 10 to 25 buck maybe?, then accept payment for just that one character, character gets fully rendered with colors, is provided to the player in its own file, and added to the poster. Then repeat as necessary. I really wish I'd done it this way from the start.

That probably would have been the best idea... you know what they say about hindsight, however.

And yes. A LOT of artists will charge an additional fee for characters with a lot of extra details... so I think that is only fair.

I mean, at the end of the day this is a business transaction, cool community poster or not. Money has exchanged hands for a service (trust me, I may have commissioned one or two or uh... forty to sixty... pieces of art in my time, lol). You have an obligation to make it financially viable for yourself so its not a charity while the buyer then has the expectation it will be done professionally and in a timely manner.

Ten dollars is still super cheap. And while I certainly appreciate it, I don't think its translating into something viable on YOUR end. That said, its been over half a year and some people are still waiting to see their characters even drawn... not to mention that colors still need to be done on all seventy some characters. I'm not entirely sure how long the finished product will take, but I definitely think restructuring will help both you and your prospective clients.

you know what they say about hindsight, however.

And yes. A LOT of artists will charge an additional fee for characters with a lot of extra details... so I think that is only fair.

I mean, at the end of the day this is a business transaction, cool community poster or not. Money has exchanged hands for a service (trust me, I may have commissioned one or two or uh... forty to sixty... pieces of art in my time, lol). You have an obligation to make it financially viable for yourself so its not a charity while the buyer then has the expectation it will be done professionally and in a timely manner.

Ten dollars is still super cheap. And while I certainly appreciate it, I don't think its translating into something viable on YOUR end. That said, its been over half a year and some people are still waiting to see their characters even drawn... not to mention that colors still need to be done on all seventy some characters. I'm not entirely sure how long the finished product will take, but I definitely think restructuring will help both you and your prospective clients.

Yeah. It all started with some bad consequences. I took on the project when I had a bunch of free time, and soon into the project I had a bunch of problems and since then my free time has been erratic at best. I definitely wouldn't have started it if I'd thought of it a couple months later.

And yeah, like I said I wish I'd done it a different way from the start. Had I known that so much crap was going to be thrown at me (not this poster, but other stuff ), I wouldn't have started this.

As far as my own characters appearing in this, it depends. While I can draw my own characters pretty quickly since I don't need any reference material (that eats up so much time!), I definitely don't want to add any more time to the timeline. I have a couple of key art pieces for my characters, and if they fit the size and line weights of the others, I'll throw them in. But if they're gonna stick out like a sore thumb and take a lot of time to get them to fit, they'll be omitted. After all, it's about you guys, and I owe you all so much.
    biffsig.jpg
  • I wasn't here for the start of the project, but I'm looking forward to the end result.

Oh no, I'm not looking to ask you for a favor right now, as it is.
    The Mechanical Armageddon

If I refer to a twin sister ingame, I'm either talking about Artisa or Atroxia Lion.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Good luck and be well, Smacks. I'm down for paying a little extra.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg

Characters like Thundrax would stay the same since it's a basic body form and not a bunch of layers of armor and stuff that I have to constantly reference. For example, Brou (in the latest image) consisted of a single sketch layer. The three middle characters, they were several layers, as well as reference images pasted straight into the canvas so it's even easier to reference, but it still takes way more time than the others.

Also, five more character sketches are below! The only three remaining characters have to be done after the background is set because they'll be interacting with it one way or another. Whether I start working on inks on the sketched characters or the background first depends on which computer I'll have available to me at the time.

Oh also, once the background is in, I can get all the characters back onto the same canvas.

I'll be asking soon for any characters that needed any tweaks. For any characters that are still in the sketch phase, now is the time to post any inconsistencies or problems for those. I'll ask you guys to post for the already-inked characters soon (hopefully!).

biffsig.jpg
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2017

Characters like Thundrax would stay the same since it's a basic body form and not a bunch of layers of armor and stuff that I have to constantly reference. For example, Brou (in the latest image) consisted of a single sketch layer. The three middle characters, they were several layers, as well as reference images pasted straight into the canvas so it's even easier to reference, but it still takes way more time than the others.

Also, five more character sketches are below! The only three remaining characters have to be done after the background is set because they'll be interacting with it one way or another. Whether I start working on inks on the sketched characters or the background first depends on which computer I'll have available to me at the time.

Oh also, once the background is in, I can get all the characters back onto the same canvas.

I'll be asking soon for any characters that needed any tweaks. For any characters that are still in the sketch phase, now is the time to post any inconsistencies or problems for those. I'll ask you guys to post for the already-inked characters soon (hopefully!).

Wow ! Awesome, thanks Biff :) Cobalt and the Doc look fabulous. I love the details and accuracy :+1:

Just one thing, though : Doctor Fahrenheit (upper right) seems to be missing his jetpack (the model is Enviro Replicator Thruster).

Just thought i'd mention it. But it's alright if it's intentional for the sake of gaining space, i understand that you have to get everyone to fit in ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ashstorm1 said:

Just one thing, though : Doctor Fahrenheit (upper right) seems to be missing his jetpack (the model is Enviro Replicator Thruster).

Just thought i'd mention it. But it's alright if it's intentional for the sake of gaining space, i understand that you have to get everyone to fit in ^^

Nope, that's a straight-up goof on my part. I'll be sure to get it in there!
    biffsig.jpg
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Ball
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited February 2017
    Lord have mercy, I had time to even do some inks after the sketches today!

Another mini-update:

Edit: Nothing breaks a good inking streak like having to go sketch something, so I improvised for the time being. There's a chance I may be able to ink a few more tonight.
    biffsig.jpg
    Last post of the night! This one is called The Kracklening.

biffsig.jpg

ashstorm1 said:

Nope, that's a straight-up goof on my part. I'll be sure to get it in there!
    Oh ok, thanks ^^

Those black and white krinklies are giving me a sudden desire for chocolate chips and pecan nuts cookies... :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparklisinasparklisina Posts: 113 Arc User

Ermahgerd! THEY LOOK SO GOOD!!!!

Rose_sig.png
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    wow, nice work!

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Release the Kracklening!
    pig-49.gif​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Its been a little over a month since Smackwell's last update... anyone see him recently?

edited March 2017
    I sometimes see Biff around RenCen and while farming Cosmics, so yeah, he's around, albeit probably busy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ashstorm1 said:

I sometimes see Biff around RenCen and while farming Cosmics, so yeah, he's around, albeit probably busy.

I suspect hes up to no good, Ill bet hes collaborating with the Cat Joker...id better send The Cat Crusader to investigate his activity! (=^.^=)

jokes aside, how much does he charge to do drawings of our toons??

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

how much does he charge to do drawings of our toons??

It's in the OP.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

how much does he charge to do drawings of our toons??

It's in the OP.

oops, missed the deadline

• khaellioskhaellios Posts: 12 Arc User
    The last update was in February and the project has been going for quite a while now. Is there any news or ETA?
    Everything is looking promising so far, but I am of course also very much looking forward to the finished image.
    PRIMUS Database - Black Ice | Jinn | Artos
    Smackwell is usually busy with life things. He'll get around to it when he is able to. Patience is a virtue.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)

edited April 2017
    Well, this is my first inquiry since the project started, almost 9 months ago. Just wanted to check in for a quick update.
    It only takes a minute to leave a response in a thread. If circumstances prevent it, that is of course a different story.

I have worked as an artist and have probably had projects that progressed slower. I understand how other stuff can interfere.
    Post edited by khaellios on
    edited April 2017
    (Earlier post disappeared for over a day, then resurfaced again. Apologies for the double post, can't seem to delete one.)
    Post edited by khaellios on
    Hi guys! Okay so the ol' Biff luck has held up, meaning I've had a lot of bad luck lately. In a nutshell, got a "new" old computer, computer breaks, can't get online for weeks, fix computer (cross fingers!), all the blah blah. But there is good news! I have all the rest of the sketched characters inked! Other good news is that this "new" old computer that I have is better than what I was working on before, so working on these large files is no longer a big pain in the butt.

This means there's only 3 other characters to draw, but they have to wait for the background. Sorry I couldn't post anything up earlier, as I was internetless, which was a barrel of laughs.

The best news is that colors is the quickest part of the whole thing, so progress should pick up!

I'm gonna try to get all the characters on the poster soon (they're all split up into about 8 different files, because the old computer couldn't handle all the layers) and gotta find my files for the background to get those last few characters in.

Update's on the first page!
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2017

Hi guys! Okay so the ol' Biff luck has held up, meaning I've had a lot of bad luck lately. In a nutshell, got a "new" old computer, computer breaks, can't get online for weeks, fix computer (cross fingers!), all the blah blah. But there is good news! I have all the rest of the sketched characters inked! Other good news is that this "new" old computer that I have is better than what I was working on before, so working on these large files is no longer a big pain in the butt.

This means there's only 3 other characters to draw, but they have to wait for the background. Sorry I couldn't post anything up earlier, as I was internetless, which was a barrel of laughs.

The best news is that colors is the quickest part of the whole thing, so progress should pick up!

I'm gonna try to get all the characters on the poster soon (they're all split up into about 8 different files, because the old computer couldn't handle all the layers) and gotta find my files for the background to get those last few characters in.

Update's on the first page!

Welcome back, Biff ! Glad to see you were able to solve your comp troubles... I know by experience these things usually tend to happen at the worst time possible XD

Love the latest update ! Amazing details on Cobalt's armor, and thanks for adding the enviro-replicator jetpack to Doctor Fahrenheit's armor ! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Good news @biffsmackwell . When would you like us to send you the tweaks wanted for the already-inked characters?

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

snip

WB

Foxbat event is going on, dont forget to grab a couple fun devices! :D

Good news @biffsmackwell . When would you like us to send you the tweaks wanted for the already-inked characters?

I think now's as good a time as any! So everyone reading this, if there's changes needed on your character, even if you've already posted about it, please post what needs to be fixed!

WB

Foxbat event is going on, dont forget to grab a couple fun devices! :D

Arg, I'd love to, but I have very little time to play these days. Much suck!
    biffsig.jpg
    Will do Biff. I'll send you a forum mail regarding tweaks. TY for the response mate.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • saburfangsaburfang Posts: 121 Arc User
    @Saburfang here, I submitted both Rikku and Azura. Rikku needs no changes however, I gave Azura a new look.

http://imgur.com/iaFKIyO

When drawing the chest armor, don't include the wing design there. I tried to make it look solid by making the "wings" the same color as the armor itself.
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    Update for ArchTech: http://imgur.com/a/BxW1o

- The knee pads have the same color because the cross isn't supposed to be there
    - The Millenia collar piece is supposed to be a strap for the jetpack, so it extends back all the way and connects.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
    edited April 2017
    Just a FYI people, its not exactly good manners in the commission world to request a redo on a costume because along the way you've decided to change their looks. If he's gotten something wrong initially on his end, sure, it should be fixed... but you paid for a service and have supplied references. He did what he was supposed to and drew the reference you gave him.

• saburfangsaburfang Posts: 121 Arc User
    Well he did ask about any changes made to any toons posted :P
    edited April 2017
    I think the only change I can think of is the way the belt would be colored on Anatari. I think we had discussed this before but just in case, the color scheme of the belt should match the Cosmic arm and feet accessories. Gold trim, beige body, salmon pink/red detail.

Edit: Here's the belt in case you need reference.
    3328pdg.png​​
    Post edited by deadman20 on

Another month has passed, so time to necro this thread again and see how Smackwell is doing! :P

• xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    So Excited Smacky!! <3 you!

Hi guys! I'll be posting an update probably around this weekend. There's a little hurdle I wanna pass before I post it, but I think you guys will like where we're at.
    biffsig.jpg
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    Aw yissss <3

*on the edge of my seat in antici...................... pation*
    zrdRBy8.png
    I'm the worst! Meant to update yesterday but got pulled away from it. So, there will be an update tonight!
    biffsig.jpg
    *wets himself*
    zrdRBy8.png
    Okay, so, update's up! Sadly the hurdle I wanted to cross, getting all the characters on there all at once, was not crossed. There are two sketches awaiting approval from the players, but otherwise everyone else is represented!

We have 31 characters colored out of 79. I'm no math doctor but that's over a third done!

I've been having trouble with the background so I'm gonna have to figure that all out later. The bottom half of the poster, I don't like how everyone's situated down there. Looks sparse. But I'm gonna try to see if I can get something that looks good going. We'll see!

Also, for any characters that are unfinished/need changes/I forgot something on, I'm making the fixes as I get to them during the coloring phases. So if you see your character on here and you've requested a change but the character is still in black and white, then the changes will be coming when they get colored!

Enjoy, and I hope to update again soon!
    biffsig.jpg