test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea to add shields to the game: Shield Bearer Power

thekazekamithekazekami Posts: 21 Arc User
Okay, when I played City of Heroes one of my favorite power sets was Shield Defense. And when I do play DCUO (Like... five times a year?) I really enjoy the shield weapons. However in Champions Online I am disappointed this route was never used. There are the Mechassassin shield for... some looks, but the Insignia Shield looks so small it kinda looks pathetic. I want a good, Captain America style shield.

Then I had an idea. Why not make it a passive like Defiance/Unstoppable?

I imagine a mechanic that focuses on mixing Dodge/Avoidance and Resistance for a defense passive. Not sure what the percentages would be, but I imagine the layered defenses would make for a good set.

For an attack passive, boosting physical melee damage by the usual amount, and a lesser amount of Dodge/Avoidance and Resistance, but with a 1% chance (2.5% at level 2 and 4% - 5% at level 3) to block all damage for two seconds when hit, cooldown fifteen seconds.

Just an idea.

Comments

• thekazekamithekazekami Posts: 21 Arc User
    Drat, forgot to add. And I do think such a system would have customizable shields ala weapons. With the option of one or more insignia shields.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    The layered defense would make it to the go to set, and thus overpowered. So too good. Secondly, what type of powers can you come up with shields? Not exactly swimming in them right there for your suggestions.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

However in Champions Online I am disappointed this route was never used. There are the Mechassassin shield for... some looks, but the Insignia Shield looks so small it kinda looks pathetic. I want a good, Captain America style shield.

Drat, forgot to add. And I do think such a system would have customizable shields ala weapons. With the option of one or more insignia shields.

Yup, I'd love this. The models that could be implemented are nigh endless. Here are a few examples just for flavour...

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    I love those shields @themightyzenith
    guyhumual said:

I love those shields @themightyzenith

TY mate =) They're just something I've been toying with recently.

zrdRBy8.png
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I don't see a shield framework as being something the Devs will work on because of the animations needed.

A proper shield block, with a full-sized shield, would be a great addition to the game, though.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 932 Arc User

I don't see a shield framework as being something the Devs will work on because of the animations needed.

A proper shield block, with a full-sized shield, would be a great addition to the game, though.

I made a suggestion awhile back for shield powers using existing animations

https://arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1207887/crazy-idea-for-shield-based-powers

The layered defense would make it to the go to set, and thus overpowered. So too good. Secondly, what type of powers can you come up with shields? Not exactly swimming in them right there for your suggestions.

Depending on the numbers used, I imagine. It could be say high Dodge/Avoidance with a low amount of resistance.

I see it not as part of a larger, Shield Power Set but rather as a defensive passive in the Martial Art's Tree that happens to have an object you get like a sword when you grab a Single Blade power.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

I see it not as part of a larger, Shield Power Set but rather as a defensive passive in the Martial Art's Tree that happens to have an object you get like a sword when you grab a Single Blade power.

I am not sure how this would work. The passive adds a shield costume part on one wrist--regardless of the block enhancer you take (if any)?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

I am not sure how this would work. The passive adds a shield costume part on one wrist--regardless of the block enhancer you take (if any)?
    Yes, more or less. I suppose, if one wanted, you could add a block specialized for it, but that is the long and short of the idea.