test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Powerset Boost: Might

bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
edited March 2017 in Suggestions Box
Might has mostly escaped the watchful eye of buffs thanks to Haymaker being a legitimately powerful attack, and the passive Defiance remaining an extra-versatile option for tanks, as well as the strongest option for resisting high burst damage. Besides this, however, the set suffers from its lackluster performance against multiple enemies in general, its very poor low-tier ability options, and a majority of its mechanics relying in now outdated 'bundles' that pair up both passive and energy return in a single ability.

What I really want to stress with Might is that it's a simple 'brute' powerset. The setup of Might should not aim to be something like Sorcery or Laser Sword, both of which are explicitly intelligence-based and strongly build around combos of several buffs and debuffs that can be utilized in multiple ways, and careful timing. With Might, I want to keep things simple, but still effective. What debuffs it has, it only uses for directly more effect, rather than the sake of hard control or triggered effects through maintenance.

Existing Power Changes

Beatdown
  • All hits have a 10-foot wide cylinder component to them.
  • Damage escalates faster, resulting in more DPS.
  • First two hits have a chance to knock down, while final hit can knock back slightly.
  • Blindside Blow only does 30% bonus damage and costs 2 advantage points, and hopefully actually works.
  • New Advantage: Smash to the Earth - The final hit of your combo applies stagger.
Defensive Combo
  • Doesn't generate bonus threat by default.
  • Compensates with a higher damage output.
  • New Advantage: Knockout Punch - Landing the last hit of Defensive Combo on an enemy low on health will do double bonus damage, and knock all targets upward. If the primary target is of villain rank or lower, they are instantly defeated.
  • New Advantage: Pressure - Finishing Defensive Combo refreshes all Reckless stacks.
  • New Advantage: Punch Drunk - Inflicts Disorient on all targets when completing the combo.
Hurl
  • 100-ft Melee scaling attack, similar to Shuriken Throw
  • Knocks the target down once every 5 seconds
  • New Advantage: Work Up - Recovery buff
  • New Advantage: Staggering Throw - Will refresh the duration of all Stagger stacks on the target.
  • New Advantage: Pulverize - Refreshes the duration of Demolish.
Roomsweeper
  • Doesn't stack Enrage on charges anymore. Instead, it has a 10-100% chance per target to apply Reckless to you depending on charge levels.
  • Knock-up condition is extended to work against Staggered and Demolished targets.
  • Concussive Blow's effect also will cancel out the knock effect when it triggers.
Defiance
  • Has a superstat scaling passive associated with it that offers around 30% target resistance. This passive does not have a time limit nor does it stack, but the actual Defiance buff (which still scales with Con) still operates on top of it. Ranking up Defiance increases the potency of the passive instead of stacking extra Defiance.
  • Defiance only stacks 5 times and does not grant energy when it does.
  • Raises knock resistance
Unstoppable
  • Generates a small amount of energy when the user takes physical melee damage, instead of when they land a knock.
  • Now has a damage-resistance component similar to how Id form works, providing small defense against all damage types. The minor damage-absorption buff also pairs with this.
Retaliation
  • Retaliation Buff no longer gets used up on Energy Builder hits.
  • Punitive Pummeling is altered to have inverse triggering effects of Parry - it will only occur after 3 seconds of blocking rather than within the first 3 seconds, but still only occurs once every 10 seconds. It also deals a small portion of crushing damage and costs 3 advantage points.
  • New Advantage: Tough it Out - Melee attacks landed with this block slotted will place a defense buff on you that provides significant damage absorption and knock resistance, in exchange for 10% damage output. The benefits of this scale with Strength and the advantage costs 3 points.
Enrage
  • Endorphin Rush costs 3 points and also provides a temporary boost to healing strength.
Iron Cyclone
  • This and Barbed Cyclone would be billed as melee attacks.
Uppercut
  • Following a full Uppercut with a full Haymaker causes the user to gain 2 stacks of Reckless instead of Enrage.
  • New Advantage: Jaw Breaker - Refreshes the duration of Demolish on a full-charge
Demolish
  • Only requires at least a half-charge to apply the Demolish debuff.
  • New Advantage: Push the Attack - Full-charges will apply Reckless if you don't have a stack, and refreshes their duration.
  • New Advantage: Supercollider - Demolish can apply and refresh the duration of particle burn.
Thunderclap
  • Stacks Reckless for extra targets hit instead of Enrage.
  • New Advantage: Tinnitus - Applies a temporary defense debuff against all energy-type attacks (slight, 5%)
Haymaker
  • Damage scaling is made more consistent.
  • New Advantage: Destroy - Deals 20% bonus damage for each stack of Reckless you have active. Consumes Reckless stacks when the effect triggers.
Havoc Stomp
  • Deals increased damage and has greater energy cost versus Roomsweeper
  • All hits are guaranteed to at least knock down, with a chance of knockup/knockback depending on charge.
  • Enrage-stacking mechanic is altered to stack Reckless instead.
Shockwave
  • Deals moderate crushing damage instead of low sonic damage.
  • Only reaches 25 feet and counts as a melee attack.
  • Shorter maintain duration
  • Full maintains knock down and apply Demolish to the primary target. Side targets have a 25% chance to be Demolished as well.
  • New Advantage: Come Here! - The full maintain knocks the target in rather than down.
  • New Advantage: Fragmented Footing - Each tick now has a 10% chance to Stagger targets.
  • New Advantage: Tantrum - Full maintains will apply the Tantrum buff, which has a 10% chance to stack Reckless once every 2 seconds over the next 6 seconds.
Nuclear Shockwave
  • Damage scales up exponentially for each stack of Enrage you have (similar to Unleashed Rage)
  • Targets are stunned
  • Has a 25 foot range and counts as a melee attack.
  • New Advantage: Atom-Splitting Strike - Applies Burn Through on full charge.
New Powers

Brawler (T1)
You have an instinctive drive to fight.
  • Energy Unlock
  • Grants you energy over time whenever you score a Melee Knock, or charge or maintain a Melee attack to its full potential.
  • Scales with Recovery, as well as a bit of Endurance.
Mettle (T1)
It's in the middle of pain and hardship you fight the hardest.
  • Energy Unlock
  • Grants you energy over time whenever you take damage. The energy from this unlock comes in at a slower rate than most other EU options.
  • Scales with Constitution, as well as a bit of Recovery.
Vital Surge (T2)
You tap into your inner-strength to provide a powerful burst of healing to yourself.
  • Charged Self-heal, restoring health similar to how Vala's Light works (without AoE)
  • Applies the recovery buff (and cannot stack with other recovery buffs) regardless of charge.
  • Has a flat energy cost - most energy/health efficient to full charge rather than rapidly tap.
  • Advantage: Back to the Fight - A full charge grants you a stack of Reckless.
Impervious (T2)
For a few seconds, you can embody the spirit of the immovable object, and nothing will be able to stand in your way.
  • Active Defense ability
  • Grants the user 150%/175%/200% damage resistance for 15 seconds (depending on rank)
  • Damage resistance rises up to 100% extra, the closer the user becomes to dying.
  • Advantage: Sturdy Footing - Instantly grants you 3 Reckless stacks when used.
  • Advantage: Never gonna keep me down - If defeated during the Impervious state, you self-revive after a couple of seconds at 50% max HP. This advantage costs 3 points.
Whirling Arm Lariat (T3)
Sends yourself spinning to hit targets all around you.
  • Melee full-sphere AoE maintain
  • Deals high crushing damage at an extreme energy cost.
  • Self-snare, but no root.
  • Has a 20% chance per hit to knock targets down.
  • Full maintains knock all targets outward.
  • Advantage: Dread Cyclone - Full maintains now knock up, and Disorient all targets.
Meteor Smash (Ultimate)
With a super-strength leap, you soar into the Stratosphere to retrieve a meteor, returning to the ground a few seconds later to smash it into your enemies.
  • Delayed PBAoE with Short-duration charge. After fully-charging, you jump into the air and become immune and untargetable. The user can still move around in this state and appears as a cosmic-styled crosshair (perhaps even a column).
  • Disables the user's travel power. User is also snared while adjusting the position of their attack.
  • After 5 seconds, the user slams back down into the ground on top of a Meteor, dealing massive Melee crushing/fire damage to all targets within 15 feet, knocking everyone backwards, and applying Overpower.
How to block a user with μblock:
forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))
Post edited by bluhman on

Comments

• jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Without having run through every possibility and consequence, I like the look of all these changes. Meteor Smash, however, would instantly become my favorite power in the game's history.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Some synergy with Stagger wouldn't be bad, I feel Shock-wave could be a chance to apply Stagger/Disorient.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Picking several things apart here. Sorry in advance. :)

Defiance: This should probably get full superstat scaling to match just about every other passive out there. Tying it to Con (even if to a lesser degree than it is currently) is unnecessarily limiting.

Endorphin Rush: Why does Endorphin Rush need an extra point?

Relentless: What is this supposed to be exactly? Another build-the-stacks, consume-the-stacks mechanic? Can't say I'd be thrilled to see that get tacked onto yet another framework. Also, Relentless is the name of an energy unlock, so whatever it is, it should probably be called something else.

Brawler: Probably shouldn't scale with Strength since all of the others are moving away from dps stats and instead taking root in stats like int, end, and rec.

Unstoppable: If it's going to generate energy on taking damage, it should be very specific (and thus unreliable) just like the other offensive passives with energy returns under specific conditions. Otherwise, it pretty much comes bundled with a mini Mettle.

Iron Cyclone: Should probably include this. 1) energy cost should be normalized to other chain powers, and 2) It should probably use melee damage scaling.

Defensive Combo: Doesn't sound very defensive. Perhaps instead, it should get some sort of mechanic similar to Eye of the Storm--first hit is strongest and damage decreases while providing an escalating damage shield with each combo hit. Knockout Punch would be better off on beatdown.

Beatdown + Smash to the Earth: No reason to gimp it for people not using Enrage. I know several MA powers do this, but I'm really not a fan of it because it massively cheapens the worth of said powers for cross-framework builds.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    bluhman said:

Changing Defiance

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    rtma said:

Some synergy with Stagger wouldn't be bad, I feel Shock-wave could be a chance to apply Stagger/Disorient.

Most powers stick with just one debuff at a time. Having that as an advantage would make a ton of sense though.
    gradii said:

Meteor smash would be amazing but Defiance is just fine as it is. Endorphin rush is fine as a 2 point advantage.

Endorphin Rush is just about the only toggle-advantage I can think of that's consistently used. It's sort of in a similar vein as Storm-Eye Prana is on Form of the Master (also a 3 point advantage), though more universally applicable. Combining it with Defiance changes though, it might make sense to buff the base healing it offers as well in exchange.
    aesica said:

Picking several things apart here. Sorry in advance. :)

No worries.
    Defiance - You're probably correct on the full-SS conversion. I'm still thinking a bit about the remaining odd techniques here and there that just grant you a stack of Defiance on the fly.

Relentless - My bad, what I meant to put in all those places was Reckless, the stacking buff that grants you extra Offense stat and Knock Resistance.

Unstoppable - It is just melee damage. Consider that a good portion of enemies will just refuse to ever fight with melee attacks, as well as team situations where a user of Unstoppable probably won't be getting all the hits.

Defensive Combo - While the combo doesn't build threat anymore, it does still grant a stack of defiance upon completion. That aside, anything available to make it more effective as an attack would make it more appealing for defensive builds.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

bluhman wrote: »
    Unstoppable - It is just melee damage. Consider that a good portion of enemies will just refuse to ever fight with melee attacks, as well as team situations where a user of Unstoppable probably won't be getting all the hits.
    Still, given the fact it has a mini-invulnerability (damage resistance vs all + flat reduction), keeping the energy return as generic as "melee damage" still makes its defensive benefits extremely reliable compared to the others. With any given pack of foes, at least a few of them will be trying to melee you.

That said, I'm really not a fan of slotted passive energy returns since, even if slightly, they actually incentivize getting hit by weaker attacks. There should be no incentive whatsoever for non-tanks to let things hit them. Plus, given how slotted passive energy return mechanics are mostly very specific, it allows someone with, for example, shadow form to swim in energy vs dimensional users compared to having only standard energy returns against everything else.

In contrast, "melee damage" as the energy return criterion is much more reliable since nearly every pack of foes is going to have a few melee attackers.

This may not be a popular opinion, but for the sake of better balancing energy generation, energy returns from slotted passives should probably just disappear altogether.
    bluhman wrote: »
    Defensive Combo - While the combo doesn't build threat anymore, it does still grant a stack of defiance upon completion. That aside, anything available to make it more effective as an attack would make it more appealing for defensive builds.
    If building threat through better damage is the goal, then taking something else that hits harder is probably preferable anyway. Is "building defiance stacks slightly quicker" worth it?

Speaking of Defiance, maybe it's time we reevaluated it as well.

Defiance: Instead of a wonky stacking mechanic, why not just have it be fully empowered all the time? Kind of like Aura of Radiant Protection, except only for the user. (And as a defensive passive rather than support passive) Ranking it up would become more relevant like all the other passives, since it would improve its overall damage reduction. In just about any fight I can think of, the ramp-up mechanic only matters for the first few seconds, then, for the rest of the fight, it's constantly at max because the user is taking damage throughout the fight.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    gradii wrote: »
    If they took away energy generation from passives they'd do well to give us a seperate slot for our energy unlock so we dont waste precious power points.
    Not that I disagree (and it should be a level 1 slot because leveling pre-EB sucks ****) but every other framwork besides might has to dedicate a slot to an energy unlock. Might shouldn't be some special snowflake in this regard.​​
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    You had me at "energy unlock".
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine