test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elder Worms image modification

Hi Dev Team,

I'd like to suggest using the foreground figure's color scheme as a universal look for nearly all Elder Worms (it's already in the game, just apply it to all Elder Worms). It would really help differentiate them from UNTIL space suits (see the Elder Worm in background) and give them a bit more menacing image.

Although, ideally, they could do with a makeover to make them stand apart even more...something like this: (I literally spent only 5 minutes making this, so it wouldn't be hard)

Thanks for your consideration! :)

Comments

• Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    Not really feeling either of the suggestions for a change. solid black and black redding already too common in players.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User

Not really feeling either of the suggestions for a change. solid black and black redding already too common in players.

Well at least they are different from the standard white goodguy 'spacesuit' look most Elder Worms have now.

It would be nice to give them a complete change to something really menacing - the way they should feel - but with the very limited staff CO has, its doubful that will ever happen. The first proposal (using already established, in-game colors) could at least be accomplished to get them away from the terrible white spacesuit look.
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    I like the astronaut aesthetic. It helps sell the idea that, to them, we're the aliens.

That white-clad worm man looks like he believes he's bravely adventuring forth to advance the scientific knowledge of his people. And if that means dissecting some humans, he doesn't view that as wrong any more than I'd be troubled by cutting open a frog in science class.

The black, spiky guy you proposed looks like someone who ties damsels to railroad tracks for no adequately explained reason.

Really, I think the basic suit just needs to include the accent color in more places than the head. Like so:
    photo Worm accents_zpsblhdcibc.jpg
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    maatmons said:

I like the astronaut aesthetic. It helps sell the idea that, to them, we're the aliens.

That white-clad worm man looks like he believes he's bravely adventuring forth to advance the scientific knowledge of his people. And if that means dissecting some humans, he doesn't view that as wrong any more than I'd be troubled by cutting open a frog in science class.

The black, spiky guy you proposed looks like someone who ties damsels to railroad tracks for no adequately explained reason.

Really, I think the basic suit just needs to include the accent color in more places than the head. Like so:

yeah that change looks fine
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Well, the lore background isn't that they're venturing forth to advance the scientific knowledge of their people; they aspire to reclaim their ancient dominion over the Earth and enslave the human race -- those they don't sacrifice to their gods, or just "eat" the "life essences" of.

Then again, in China, white is the color associated with death. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

maatmons said:

What change?

Same old terrible NASA look. lol!

I think maybe we ought to have a forum costume contest - everyone send in what they might like the Elder Worms to look like.
  • Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1

Thanks. I really feel like a little touch of color here and there can make a big difference.

Same … NASA look.

Well yeah, I said I like the NASA look, didn't I?

everyone send in what they might like the Elder Worms to look like.

I'd love to see some other takes on the elder worms, as long as they're not just redder/blacker/spikier.

bulgarex said:

the lore

Yeah, but doesn't the lore also give these “worms” arms and legs? I like my head-cannon, where there's 25 feet of worm coiled up in the suit's torso, and they have an alien mindset that doesn't conform to our notions of good and evil.

bulgarex said:

Then again, in China, white is the color associated with death. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective.

Yeah, I remember watching an anime set in Europe where a character was all set to be buried in a white dress, but another character insisted on changing it to a red dress because that was her favorite color. I thought to myself “good, the white one looked like a wedding dress.” But one of the characters objected to the red dress, saying “it looks like a wedding dress.”
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    maatmons said:

bulgarex said:

the lore

Yeah, but doesn't the lore also give these “worms” arms and legs? I like my head-cannon, where there's 25 feet of worm coiled up in the suit's torso, and they have an alien mindset that doesn't conform to our notions of good and evil.
    An alien mindset applies to either version, whether the mind has limbs or 25 feet of body. ;) We're somewhat-useful animals to these creatures, whether as slaves or food.

I do like the PnP version's "humidity suit," though. It looks structurally alien, and the colors are more ominous. (Sorry for the convoluted link to the image below -- I couldn't get it to work any other way.)

https://google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi854.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fab105%2Fiansneade%2FChampions%2FVillains%2FSlug%2Fslug_zps43c32917.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Froninarmy.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-178-p-6.html&docid=xtS1CMLgiL04gM&tbnid=OmRPG9Q9-t9anM%3A&vet=1&w=321&h=620&bih=639&biw=1024&q=champions%20online%20elder%20worms&ved=0ahUKEwjyqKCo6sXSAhXM8YMKHRVzCJcQMwgcKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=620&imgrc=OmRPG9Q9-t9anM:&vet=1&w=321

Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    If their Elder Gods exist, which they do in this superhero universe, then their religion has no conflict with science.

They advocate a different ethical perspective to humans but this does not mean they don't cast themselves as heroes, seeking to restore what they perceive to be the proper order.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    Absolutely right. Villains never see themselves as villains (except perhaps for the deeply psychotic). They always have a rationale for what they do that justifies it in their eyes.

By the same token, human sport hunters, or those who hunt for food, don't see themselves as evil. But to an animal with sapience they would be terrifying monsters who strike from hiding without warning and from a great distance, leaving them no chance to escape or defend themselves.

• Options
    bulgarex said:
    I agree. The suit coloring looks much better in that link than the in-game white NASA astronaut look we currently have.

I see where the Devs were going with their Elder Worm physical change from humanoid worms to true worms - it's a much more alien effect. But then they defeated that entire change by... putting them right back in humanoid astronaut suits! (I realize the game engine really cant do non-humanoids).

I think the Elder Worms themselves are pretty menacing as an end-game foe (worm or humanoid versions) - it's the terrible coloring of the suits they wear that makes them laughable. Please, please go with the canon colors shown in the link above. It's a VAST improvement and would really make them stand out better as enemies.

Or maybe go with a more Ao'Qephoth look.... ;)
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    my issues with them is not really the colors, but that their suits are too "human like" it's a different species on a different planet, why would their armor look like that? the armor should look a bit more alien like (IMO of course)
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    Agreed in principle. As noted, the models the devs have to work with are confined to humanoid configuration; but the PnP example above has a more "alien" esthetic.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    reiwulf said:

my issues with them is not really the colors, but that their suits are too "human like" it's a different species on a different planet, why would their armor look like that? the armor should look a bit more alien like (IMO of course)

Maybe they were just regular worms until they got the suits from advanced humanoids.
  • Options
    That would be logical, but a major departure from their race's history in the lore. But ultimately, they look this way because Cryptic devs wanted them to look this way. Probably because they thought it looked cool. Frankly, of all the logical incongruities in Champions Online, this is one of the easiest to ignore or rationalize.
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    I don't really know the lore of them, but here's my attempt at a redesign. I didn't have all of the costume pieces currently used for their suits, so I took some liberties with what I had. The idea follows the theory of worms coiled into a suit, using
    (WARNING: Fake techno babble incoming)
    Reverberating Gravitational Harmonics to do away with cumbersome leg appendages and just hover over obstacles as the move.
    The suit also uses a Self-Contained Reciprocating Magnetic Field to allow for mentally controlled functioning hands that are not restricted by an attached arm. Rather they stay connected to the suit via extendable tubing that contains the magnetic field.

I altered the colors to a more Earthy feel, since I always pictured them as super intelligent earth worms.

• Options
    dialamx said:

I don't really know the lore of them, but here's my attempt at a redesign. I didn't have all of the costume pieces currently used for their suits, so I took some liberties with what I had. The idea follows the theory of worms coiled into a suit, using
    (WARNING: Fake techno babble incoming)
    Reverberating Gravitational Harmonics to do away with cumbersome leg appendages and just hover over obstacles as the move.
    The suit also uses a Self-Contained Reciprocating Magnetic Field to allow for mentally controlled functioning hands that are not restricted by an attached arm. Rather they stay connected to the suit via extendable tubing that contains the magnetic field.

I altered the colors to a more Earthy feel, since I always pictured them as super intelligent earth worms.

That's awesome!

I too am a big fan of the 'worm coiled up in a enclosure' concept (see my 'robot suit' in the OP). I love the legless/hoversuit look and the coloring is great! This really does make them look a lot more alien (and menacing). This would be a terrific replacement for what we have in-game right now.
  • Options
    newplayerguy7newplayerguy7 Posts: 61 Arc User
    dialamx said:

This is pretty cool. +1 upvote
  • Options
    bulgarex said:
    I agree. The suit coloring looks much better in that link than the in-game white NASA astronaut look we currently have.

I see where the Devs were going with their Elder Worm physical change from humanoid worms to true worms - it's a much more alien effect. But then they defeated that entire change by... putting them right back in humanoid astronaut suits! (I realize the game engine really cant do non-humanoids).

I think the Elder Worms themselves are pretty menacing as an end-game foe (worm or humanoid versions) - it's the terrible coloring of the suits they wear that makes them laughable. Please, please go with the canon colors shown in the link above. It's a VAST improvement.
  • Options
    bulgarex said:

I think the Elder Worms themselves are pretty menacing as an end-game foe (worm or humanoid versions) - it's the terrible coloring of the suits they wear that makes them laughable. Please, please go with the canon colors shown in the link above. It's a VAST improvement and would really make them stand out better as enemies.