test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online: High Noon In Snake Gulch

edict#8422 edict Posts: 108 Cryptic Developer
Snake Gulch.
A Western theme park in the Desert with robots playing the parts of the actors. What could possibly go wrong?

First, VIPER came in and drove away all the paying customers. Then the robots themselves started acting… funny. I mean, they always had their quirks, but this was different.

The robot preacher was the first sign, talking about the virtues of Mechanon. Then these huge high-tech towers started appearing all around the gulch, along with these strange transmitters. It wasn’t much later that the robots started getting “upgraded”, and looking an awful lot like that crazy giant Mechanon robot. Looks like he’s back and starting to expand his army of killer robots…

High Noon at Snake Gulch is a limited-time event running February 23rd – March 2nd. Get started by visiting Belle Steel at Renaissance Center in Millennium City. She has many new event rewards!

Gunslinger Archetype – This new Ranged Archetype is normally only available in the ZEN store, but is also available while the event is running!

ASCII’s Precision Mod – This new mod increases Munitions damage so all you gun-lovers will love it!

Iron Horse Grav Bike - This grav bike lets you ride across the skies on your iron-sided horse! Comes with the Quick Reload Mod.

Military Pose Emote – At ease, soldier!

Revolver Weapon Skin Unlock - They don’t make ‘em like they used to!

Branding Iron Device – Ouch! Melee weapon with clinging flames! Sick burn, bro!

Yodel Device – Encourage your group with soothing yodels!

Whistling Aura – Fill the air with musical notes!

Quicksilver Aura – Cloak yourself with moving metal!

Comments

• Are we only allowed to get rewards for this event a single time? I've done it like six now, and Belle Steele only gave me the mission and rewards once. I've gone back to her and Wyatt and neither of them have the mission available.

Tried writing the GMs in game, and the server timed out.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    It's a daily. 20 hours cooldown. It gives 35 SBs.
    But you still get rewards from the open event compleation, with diminishing rewards.​​
    Post edited by flyingfinn on
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Defeating the Liberated should still net you a drop of Snake Bucks -- but the diminishing returns on it suck. You can earn the full 10 bucks twice. After that the DR kicks in pretty steeply :angry:
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    riverocean wrote: »
    Defeating the Liberated should still net you a drop of Snake Bucks -- but the diminishing returns on it suck. You can earn the full 10 bucks twice. After that the DR kicks in pretty steeply :angry:

Really? Then how in blazes is one supposed to get the 610 needed for a grav bike in a single week?​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Why is one supposed to?
    Since it's not a one time event.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Really? Then how in blazes is one supposed to get the 610 needed for a grav bike in a single week?
    God damn it, I thought it would be a 2 weeks event like nighthawk

This makes things more stressful to farm until 2 March

EDIT: False alarm, the Ingame event journal states It's actually 2 weeks event and ends in 6 March
    eRQepoc.png
    High Noon at Snake Gulch is a limited-time event running February 23rd – March 2nd.
    The news article is wrong... again onion-8.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • bewp#5697 bewp Posts: 10 Arc User
    Anybody know what will stick around after the deadline? The event currency and store will go, but is the OM staying in one format or another?
    bewp#5697 wrote: »
    Anybody know what will stick around after the deadline? The event currency and store will go, but is the OM staying in one format or another?
    No, the regular OM (Asciing for Trouble) which was part of the Area will revert back after the event is over <a href="http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1207789/release-notes-2-23-2017/p1">(slighty revamped as the patch notes state)</a>

kaizerin wrote: »
    Asciing for Trouble Open Mission Revision
    • The open mission Asciing For Trouble has been changed to use level scaling. This open mission will return once the High Noon event is over.
    • Ascii Oakley has had a few new powers added to her to flesh out her attack sequences. Her damage, effects and health are still being adjusted.
    • Ascii Oakley will no longer react to hit animations and will cancel out many debuff fx on her so she's visible when numerous players are attacking.
    • Changed all of the mission drop items in the Snake Gulch area to automatically go into your bag to prevent the item ! fx from eating up too many fx draw calls when there are a bunch of people in that area.
    • Updated the reward table for this mission to give out more Unity tokens and to give some SCR tokens at high level.
    ​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    No, the regular OM (Asciing for Trouble) which was part of the Area will revert back after the event is over (slighty revamped as the patch notes state)

• The open mission Asciing For Trouble has been changed to use level scaling. This open mission will return once the High Noon event is over.
    • Ascii Oakley has had a few new powers added to her to flesh out her attack sequences. Her damage, effects and health are still being adjusted.
    • Ascii Oakley will no longer react to hit animations and will cancel out many debuff fx on her so she's visible when numerous players are attacking.
    • Changed all of the mission drop items in the Snake Gulch area to automatically go into your bag to prevent the item ! fx from eating up too many fx draw calls when there are a bunch of people in that area.
    • Updated the reward table for this mission to give out more Unity tokens and to give some SCR tokens at high level.
    ​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Interesting. They deleted my post noting the problem with the original announcement at http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10408443-champions-online:-high-noon-in-snake-gulch that the event only went until March 2. At least they corrected the date on that page to now also read March 9.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Well overall, I feel cheated this event. Nothing more to say than that.
    You know this is not a bad event, but i'm really dissapointed with the rewards (lame Zerg Rush strategy and failed runs aside)

The costume section is really lacklusting, it feels that only 2 pre-alert and some leftover in the code costumes were thrown in

The auras are ugly, except if you can provide me examples of characters' costumes who use the Quicksilver aura parts for something inspiring, Fire and Psionic auras from endgame provide more satisfying visuals and combinations

I had been doing the daily as well as Extra runs with a character since day 1, and I have over 600 tokens on him by now
    but there is really nothing that I really want to buy, that's my problem​​
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    This event is overtuned and if the people who the event is overtuned for aren't there chances are it's going to fail.

Add in the people who like starting the events timer before everyone is zoned in, that just makes this event too frusterating. Not everyone optimizes their characters, not everyone min maxes their characters. For these kind of open world events that needs to be accounted for. Those who do optimize/min max can have their cosmics and end game lairs. The rest need something too though.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    draogn said:

This event is overtuned and if the people who the event is overtuned for aren't there chances are it's going to fail.

The event doesn't need particularly above average competence at anything other than main tank and healer. The big problem with its tuning is that it's tuned for a full or nearly full zone and doesn't work when you only have twenty people there.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

draogn said:

The event doesn't need particularly above average competence at anything other than main tank and healer. The big problem with its tuning is that it's tuned for a full or nearly full zone and doesn't work when you only have twenty people there.
    The mobs around the towers can quickly overwhelm a group, especially once the minibosses appear, if they don't have the right roles and enough dps that can survive the aoes and extended attack ranges the robots have. Not everyone uses con as a SS.
    draogn said:

The mobs around the towers can quickly overwhelm a group, especially once the minibosses appear, if they don't have the right roles and enough dps that can survive the aoes and extended attack ranges the robots have. Not everyone uses con as a SS.

I haven't seen that turn into a significant problem for a full zone; if you can afford to have 6-8 people per tower, the spawns aren't that tough (a tank is still wanted).
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    I've seen it happen at Red tower a few times. Definitely because there aren't enough people there. Having a healer with AoRP and a tank really do help.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    But that's just it. A tank AND healer isn't guaranteed to show up every time. Especially a healer for a tower. This is just another example of the devs not considering those that don't have optimized builds, or that use theme builds. This isn't just one fight with a strategy, it's two. The Liberator and the Mini-Bosses for the towers. It's not challenging, it's overwhelming and why so many people aren't continuing to play the event to buy as much as they can. They play long enough to get the things they want and are abandoning it.

Ask yourself this question if you don't believe me; how come I'm seeing notices in chat about failed runs almost as much as I did the first day it was released?

Because literally less people care about it now that they got what they want.

This isn't content, it's just another grind aspect with another over-tuned fight.

This is like all the Cosmic fights NEEDING certain roles on hand or you're guaranteed for failure. Which is forcing players to either abandon their characters' themes, or forcing them to create specially tailored characters to attend these fights.

ADD ACTUAL CONTENT DEVS!!

But that's just it. A tank AND healer isn't guaranteed to show up every time. Especially a healer for a tower. This is just another example of the devs not considering those that don't have optimized builds, or that use theme builds.

You don't need a tank and a healer, you can also do it with hybrids. You don't need an optimized build, you just need a competent build.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

This is actual content. The vast majority of High Noon events are being completed successfully.
    kamokami said:

This is actual content. The vast majority of High Noon events are being completed successfully.
    High Noon gets completed successfully when there's an organized attempt to complete it successfully that has a sufficiently large number of interested players. There are far more times when there isn't even a serious attempt at completing the mission, just people hitting the beacons and then farming cowboy robots.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited March 2017

kamokami said:

High Noon gets completed successfully when there's an organized attempt to complete it successfully that has a sufficiently large number of interested players. There are far more times when there isn't even a serious attempt at completing the mission, just people hitting the beacons and then farming cowboy robots.
    Well yeah. If there's no attempt being made then it won't get completed.When people have made the attempt, I've seen a total of 5 fails........3 were late at night. And I've run it about 20X that amount.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    All in all I have enjoyed this event and have earned the snakebucks I need for the stuff that I want from the store, there wasn't much but I picked up the pistol weapon skins and a the emote for a few of my characters.

Once I got the hang of things the event wasn't too hard. 99% of the time I am with the group attacking the Liberator and the only times I have seen the event fail is when someone starts it early before there are enough people gatherd or it is attempted late at night when there simply are not enough people to showing up to participate.

• ordinaryplayer#2642 ordinaryplayer Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    kamokami said:

Well yeah. If there's no attempt being made then it won't get completed.When people have made the attempt, I've seen a total of 5 fails........3 were late at night. And I've run it about 20X that amount.

Probably more on this end 15-20 (2 or 3 per day easily), but counting times of day where it wobbles between win/fail and people are off for cosmics. Usually just 1 to many towers goes down. Also played over 100x.

A good first try, but rough edges need to be fixed. Biggest glaring issue to address is the 'doesn't work late at night' so there's some extended playablity (a few early morning people suggested single/dual-tower 10-20 man gameplay). With the 'late at night' (or early morning) starting to be 12+ hours of game this is disappointing. [I am assuming its 8-12 hours of failure as I sleep and eat, and there's no midnight crowd]

Post edited by ordinaryplayer#2642 on
    We did a late hours run with about twenty people, and it did work, but we had a bunch of high end builds and it wasn't easy.
    No, the regular OM (Asciing for Trouble) which was part of the Area will revert back after the event is over <a href="http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1207789/release-notes-2-23-2017/p1">(slighty revamped as the patch notes state)</a>

​​