test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The game that will bury CO and destroy it forever guaranteed (EAT CROW) (SALTY) (UNITY STORE ASSETS)

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Hrmm, didn't hello kitty online close down or am I thinking of another game?

That being said, no idea why people are so determined that X game will close down Y game. Nothing lasts forever, and eventually an MMO will close down. I don't get the vitriol or desire at times. While in my younger days I might have had such an attitude, these days if it just doesn't interest me that's basically all it boils down to, though I do get tired of rabid players that seem to want to tell me that a game is awesome, even if my own experience tells me other wise.

But then again, some players can't seem to let it go either.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    There's this notion with some people that only one game can be the game that people are playing. Happened a bunch with WoW - some new neat looking MMO came out and was instantly branded "The WoW Killer", as if the entire population would just switch over in short order and bury it. For some reason the idea that some players might go, some players might stay, and some players will play both is just too radical a notion for some people.

I think that notion might be more popular with people who spend a lot of time every day playing an MMO, because in their mind they would never split up their "progression time" between games, and they assume that anyone that matters is the same. Just a theory tho.

Also some people might have just let that "extreme loyalty to one team" mentality that's sweeping the nation bleed over into their gaming habits. "This is my game and all other games are wrong!"
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

There's this notion with some people that only one game can be the game that people are playing. Happened a bunch with WoW - some new neat looking MMO came out and was instantly branded "The WoW Killer", as if the entire population would just switch over in short order and bury it. For some reason the idea that some players might go, some players might stay, and some players will play both is just too radical a notion for some people.

I think that notion might be more popular with people who spend a lot of time every day playing an MMO, because in their mind they would never split up their "progression time" between games, and they assume that anyone that matters is the same. Just a theory tho.

Also some people might have just let that "extreme loyalty to one team" mentality that's sweeping the nation bleed over into their gaming habits. "This is my game and all other games are wrong!"

How many "WoW killers" have come and gone over the years? Heck, even WoW was called the "Everquest Killer" at some point, and EQ is still around. Sure, it's a pale shadow of what it once was when it was "Evercrack", but it didn't go into the night. You're right, extreme players can be all-consuming in their perception that trying anything else is appalling to their sensitive underbellies. :/
  • Options

spinnytop said:

How many "WoW killers" have come and gone over the years? Heck, even WoW was called the "Everquest Killer" at some point, and EQ is still around. Sure, it's a pale shadow of what it once was when it was "Evercrack", but it didn't go into the night. You're right, extreme players can be all-consuming in their perception that trying anything else is appalling to their sensitive underbellies. :/
    I am pretty sure by the time WoW came out, Everquest was already a pale shadow of what it once was. People seem to have these bizarre memories of events. I know it's hard to see a game die at times, but it happens. MMOs are especially fragile if they are not keeping continual support, and if they refuse to update with the times or innovate and just keep things as they are, well, they aren't going to go anywhere. In the case of Everquest and UO, for instance, I think one of them is hoping to be able to claim that title of longest lasting MMO, with this year being UO's 20th anniversary (September) and 18th for Everquest, but hardly anything is done for those two games. But I think that puts in the false belief in people that if X game can do it, Y game to and it creates just more false senses of entitlement.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited February 2017

Ill give some honest advise from my own experiences in gaming; ive played tons of mmos Tera, SWTOR, Aion, STO, CHamps, Marvel Heroes, WoW, LoL, etc...its best to find one thats playable meaning even if you dont have money to throw at it you can do end game stuff, maybe not the most powerful but you can still handle you end (tank/healer/dps) also one that as a good player base and ill come right out and say it, LoL has the worse of all of them ive played. artwork and graphics are nice but as long as the animation is smooth your doing well, nitpicking artwork doesnt really make the mmo fun if they put everything in just how it looks...thats why DOAX bombed for me, it was all just about showing off the art/girls ..."ok, but its less then mario party, and gets old in 10 min...crappy weekend rental!" Marvel Heroes was ablast to level in but the end game was so poorly put to gether it made me sad i spent money on it, sure i could play as Avengers movie captain america...but if the end game content was BAD enough to hurt your feelings XD it was wasted money...i never went back.

ok, so down to it, get a game you do not have to spend money on, and your willing to stay, spread it out and be casual in no more then 3 titles so you can circulate between them and keep things fresh, if you join a guild avoid the (Animal house...lets act like a bunch of drunk fools, or the military 'time for inspection ones that think your in boot camp..."cat you missed our meeting, you are deducted a rank-" 'guilds =T.T= ...they suck the fun outta the game!!) Pick one that when you come back they are happy to see you arrive, "Norm!"

Spread yourself out and commit to nothing, but keep up with the times too! Its a way to play I learned form my little sister, she has a toon in 3 games, they have up to date gear and she only uses the ones shes good with...so I did the same, I have a healer in 3 games I use as My main, my STO healer has XIV gear and can do well, my healer in champs has 7 mods and merc gear (because the 8&9's are owned by the super greedy, and its easier to find the arc of the covenant then to earn the end game gear here), my healer also gets all the devices (to bug people with : 3), and in SWTOR my healer there has the best gear...but the people in tor arent as friendly as in champs, even sto has a lot of statues and pigeons. So im most comfortable here...not the best art, not the best end game...but still fun the only liability champs seems to have is the nerf squad (IE the firing squad) if they would leave the game alone it would do so much better!!

^games who nerf often tend to have angry players, and its a another lession in only having one GOOD toon in agame so you arent obligated to taking the time to resetup/gear/shakedown test all of them...just the one >.>

EDIT: I did forget one thing, FFXIV where i found i enjoyed being a healer (FFXIV was my fav but the player base was too....caught up in weird stuff...so i left), ill give credit to their teaming setup, you have to have 2 dps, one tank and one healer...that way its fair to the team, not chaotic like in other games. some order is great when taking on tough bosses, in champs its only clearly defined in rampages for people to have a specific job...swtor is horrible at this, nothing worse then being setup for a healer and 2 healers show up, the team doesnt know you and threatens to kick you for not switching to dps while your geared for healing...then complain the rest of the mission that you do lousy dps (silent scream!) But in FFXIV they where nicer players all around, especially after the missions id often get all of the votes/bonuses for healing and keeping them alive ^_^ so now all my healers are based off of Pantera from FFXIV even in champs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1U2rbTZzo

...anyways i wish they would implement that style for alerts in champs!!
    Post edited by catstarsto on

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Hello Kitty had some serious MLG endgame stuff.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    The RNG for drops in HKO is ridiculous. I've been trying to get the PURPLE hair ribbon for months now. Beginning to think I will never have my full set of raid gear.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    Didn't you quit the game?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    CO has updates every months, stop saying that It's self destructing already

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Gradii...I get your frustration with the game, I find myself asking why I log in all the time. But if you are going to quit...then quit. Don't be that annoying troll who just logs into forum to announce their hopeful doom of a game. CO is not dying, it's going a different direction. You have every right to not go that direction with them....

Go or stay...Just don't be a tool.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    blockwave said:

CO has updates every months, stop saying that It's self destructing already

Im not agreeing with him, this is just perfect timing to post this : 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK2Oqrgic

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
  • Options
    gradii said:

CO doesn't need another game to kill it. its self destructing already.

"I don't like this, so it's dying."
    What a fantastic world you must live in.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    There's a fairly big contingent of "it's not EXACTLY what I want, so it's total ****" in this game. But...I doubt I had to tell you that.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    There's a fairly big contingent of "it's not EXACTLY what I want, so it's total ****" in this game. But...I doubt I had to tell you that.
    you forgot the " The updates and changes aren't what I want , so The devs must be making it for their freinds."​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I was playing wow recently, and it's so packed full of people, that's it's hard to get any missions done, so many people there doing the same thing. I don't think wow is going anywhere, any time soon, it's still got millions of players.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Posts: 102 Arc User
    Hello Kitty Online. That's it. We're all doomed.

Better trade all our power armor parts for frilly dresses with ribbons, and all our mods for chocolate cookies !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashstorm1 said:

Better trade all our power armor parts for frilly dresses with ribbons, and all our mods for chocolate cookies !

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! \oDo/
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    I'll call your Kitty and raise you a . . .
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    CO doesn't need another game to kill it. its self destructing already.

Dear poser quit copying my gig. I am the original doomsayer level 100 not you. You are new to this. But seriously I agree all things end eventually even this will one day. And to elaborate more the developers I'm sure do what is practical and attainable goals to achieve.

Some of their choices are puzzling to me also but sometimes life goes in a different direction than you thought it would. Aka wax on wax off kinda mentality.

nope original is Nextnametaken our student of dubious statistics
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I was playing wow recently, and it's so packed full of people, that's it's hard to get any missions done, so many people there doing the same thing. I don't think wow is going anywhere, any time soon, it's still got millions of players.

2pts for being able to say that about wow without including <sarcasm>​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg