test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Water, Slime, and/or Sludge powers

ilztasilztas Posts: 95 Arc User
edited February 2017 in Suggestions Box
Has anyone else had their messages vanish when they try to edit them? This is getting annoying. Anyway...

----------

It's strange how long a new account is unable to post on the forum. I've been waiting three nights and counting, so I'll just have to use this old one.

I've been stuck hurting my brain in the powerhouse for the last few nights, trying to come up with a style that works with my newest preferred theme, slimes... or rather, slime people (Space Station 13 and Starbound got me rather attached to the idea and I'm... stuck to it now).

In particular, I'd like to be a (preferrably at least slightly poisonous) slimeperson with a crowd control focus, 'cause I'll probably never stop lovin' crowd control. I can pull off the appearance fine enough (need other auras yet but at least have footprints), but getting to the point of this post, Champions Online lacks powers that'd really add to the feel of such ideas (only one or two really could work, one of which is a travel power), and I can't understand why we don't have them yet.

People must've been asking for water powers since beta, right? Is there any real reason why we don't have them? Some people would say we do have water powers, in the form of ice (frozen water), but that's not the same, obviously. What if someone wants to make a water elemental-style character, or a druid, or maybe just a general hydrokinetic superhero? Personally I just figure if stuff like those breath attacks and Soul Vortex and other such well-done effects can be pulled off, it can't be too much of a stretch to make a believable water powerset. Plus, maybe it could have synergy with other powersets like electricity and ice through through a "wet"/"soaked" status effect, which could either conduct electricity and make it bounce or do more damage, or since the target's now soaking wet, cold powers could do more damage or hinder it somehow. Maybe reduced speed, or slower attack rate.

Also, while "Infernal Supernatural" is an okay set for demons and wizards n' whatnot, it'd be nice to have an alternative style for poison, much like how people have Force, Wind, melee, Earth, and other options regarding crushing damage. What if we had powers that resembled slime or sludge or something like that? Maybe throw a ball of poisonous goop at an enemy, or have them paralyzed, rooted, or snared by a glob of stuff covering their body or feet. There's also the thought of acidic goop as a damage resistance debuff. All sorts of possibilities really.

Regarding slime in general though, someone put up this old thread back in January 2016. Not exactly sure what "Slather" does, maybe it's just like Negative Ions, doing nothing unless a power requires it... but those are still good ideas that could be looked over.

Would anyone else want to use stuff like this?

Comments

• Options
    I've had my stuff vanish when I try to edit it, too. It's been quite bothersome.

Usually, when someone wants to do a water character, they cherry pick powers from wind and a few other sets that look like water when colored (concussor beam makes a very convincing water pressure cannon, for example).

It would be nice to have a miniset for water. Plants, too. All they would have to do is reskin a couple of existing powers (the chain powers could become vines, for example).
  • Options
    xel#8768 xel Posts: 47 Arc User
    Hope I can post with this account someday instead...

I'd consider something like Crippling Coils if it didn't have visible chains, though it's still fiery. Not what I'm going for. I'll just settle for things like Ego Hold, and maybe Quicksand. I could use Ego Choke too since it wraps a ring of energy around the target's throat.
    "Xel" no longer exists...
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Well, you'll find in the Q-store something called "Ghost Material", its actually pretty watery like in its nature. And there are the ooze travels to.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Yes... waterpowers are a must have... I'm tired of using a makeshift water powerset that really doesn't even look like water on Aquaria...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'm getting tempted to use more poisons (wear down enemies while I deal with another one making a nuisance of itself nearby), but I want watery/slimy/sludge-like stuff. Might just have to collect radiation devices.

@gradii - Yes, there's a slime race mod. It was my first attempt at modding in Starbound, and later another person, Hieru, created a custom ship, and then joined me on the project and HEAVILY expanded things, and... I got lazy. Various events happened (one friend having family interference and another getting disinterested like myself), so Hieru and I agreed it's better for her to take over the mod in her own workshop than having me take care of putting mods in place n' upload 'em each time. It's progressing much faster now, and she's still as into it all as ever.

It'd be nice to have an equal-but-colorable alternative to things like Grasping Shadows.
    Post edited by xel#8768 on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Apologies for the bump, I don't like doing that stuff, but I'm overthinking things, and no one else's said anything in the past two days.

It's hard thinking about what to do with a theme when the key element is missing.

I've really got no idea what amount of work goes into this, but for everyone out there who's ever wanted something liquid-related, I beg of you all, please try to come up with something, anything, even if it begins just based on something else like the fountain between the renaissance center and Westside. If the existing effects developer(s) is/are overwhelmed by the thought, maybe you can find someone else to lend a hand? Maybe even one of the players in this community would be able to help out.

This game needs liquid powers so people don't have to give up and settle for Force, Ice, or Wind.

Also I should've labeled this thread "Liquid Powers".
  • Options
    If you try to be too ambitious, cryptic won't even bother. They have very few resources they could put into something like this.

Actually, they're unlikely to bother either way, but that's no reason to decrease the odds even further.
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Maybe it's just me, but I think the Ghost material looks very liquid like, and could be used for liquid themed powers. Combine it with the wet effects, from coming out of water, and the water spray from water fountains, and we could have some water powers based on current in-game assets.

Also apply the ghost material to weapons, to have weapons made from liquid.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    <font color="#a980ff">Maybe there could be simple ghostly blobs that splash when hitting a target... sorta like balloons. That'd be a lot less work.

Also, I just remembered, there was this old post about a water power set concept:</font> http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/231336/water-power-set-concept/p1